Patches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I like a patch to liven my often rather drab clothing up.

I have all sorts on my blanket poncho, but over Xmas I indulged in expanding my Space mission patch collection. I am sewing them on my denim waistcoat so I will look snazzy for the summer. (It has plenty of pockets so its also a practical item.)

Trouble is, some have no edging.

They need an edge, -the only thing I can think of is a leather one, or maybe cloth tape. (Spinnaker tape maybe?)

What would you use?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Do you have an over locker sewing machine?
I successfully edged a couple of patches by using a very very short stitch length zigzag stitch. It came out okay. Certainly stopped them fraying etc. I use a 1970’s Elna!

My M-in-L has this amazing overlocker brother (I think?) thing and she edged some for me and they look factory.
Mid you don’t you may be able to get a seamstress or alterations place to do it for you?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I haven't no, and no idea what an alterations place might cost, its only worth a couple of quid

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If you have a sewing machine that does zig zag stitch, just set it as close as possible and edge the patches.
You could use a matching, or even contrasting narrow ribbon.
Iron on Wonda web is great if you can get it with all the shops shut, Or any iron on backing fabric such as iron on interfacing.
Failing all that a close blanket stitch.

Reactions: MrEd

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Just rub in a ring of contact glue around the back edge and allow to dry. Trim off any tails with sharp scissors.
I.ve done this for years on fabrics up to 18 ounce canvas, with no problem.
Regards
Ceeg...and a Happy New Year to All.

Reactions: Stew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE