My take on traditional/vintage kit load out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Following on from the native and briantrubshaws two excellent posts I humbly submit my own interpretation of traditional load out, its mainly influenced by my Boone challenge kit list but with a few extras as its intended to be used a lot more than when I do the challenge, I may also rejig stuff around.
First up sharps
I have a tomahawk in negotiations at the moment and I may well swap out the axe for it, I may not

Svord mini peasant rehandled by the talented Mr Albus Cutler
Opinel folding saw
Gransfors Bruk Outdoor Axe
Pukko

Eating and drinking equipment next
Swedish army surplus canteen
Guyot bottle*
Zebra ten cm billy and lid*
Tatonka handled cup*
A piece of chain which i use to suspend the zebra over the fire with*
Tea spoon*
Spork and foon (or at least i think that's what its called)*
Small can opener*
All items marked with * fit into the MOLLE pouch in the photo, there is also space for a millbank bag in there as well but I have mislaid that in the house move.
Plate
Hipflask with stags breath in, its medicinal honest,
Bannock mix which is stored in one of the two leather bags,
Leather bags one with brew kit in the other for dry goods such as the bannock mix

Clothing
One set leather gloves for tending fire,gathering nettles and such like,
Possum merino wool hat
Swanndri shirt
Swedish snow smock
Wool headover/scarf I also use this with the swanndri stuffed in it as a pillow at night
Filson tin cloth hat

Possibles (from right to left)
Pipe tobacco-need to make a leather tobacco pouch its on the list
Snares x 6
Two pipe tools (they seem to disappear when i am looking for them)
Churchwarden pipe
Strop and stropping paste
Monocular and case
Stupidly simple bug repellent
Hand salve
Antiseptic salve
Oiled leather ouch pouch containing dried yarrow and assorted plasters
Tinderpouch
Possibles pouch
Boris the bushcrafting badger
Pocket watch
Pocket compass
Hudson bay tinderbox containing flint and steel and jute cord
(Frustratingly since I have took the pics an order of sulphur matches has just come through the letterbox mutter mutter mutter)
The final green canvas pouch holds a more comprehensive first aid kit

Shelter/Bedding
three lengths of cordage I will replace this with jute rope I may even make the rope myself not certain yet
tent pegs-I use the same woods almost all the time I go out and about and don't want to strip out resources unnecessarily so use these instead
Dutch army wool blanket
wool blanket which I converted into a poncho still works as a a blanket but its nice and cosy to sit by the fire wrapped up in this
bedroll straps I spent ages making, stabbed myself with the awl and bled all over it
polish lavvu half to use as shelter
another canvas tarp to use as a ground sheet
walking staff, i plan to use this as the pole to hold up lavvu half
I did hope to include the ccf mat you can see in the background but its not practical when i rolled everything up....

All packed up and ready to go,
I'm away this Friday but going by car so not too fussed about size of bedroll, i will more than likely re jig all this if and when i walk some distance, more than likely I will use my canvas rugged river pack to hold most of it.

for longer camps or solo camps (I'm away with mates Friday so sharing cook items) I would probably add a larger billy can and possibly my tatonka cook set as it has a frying pan and that makes bacon a lot lot easier. i also appreciate there is no candle/light source but i have a couple of things in the pipe line for this too.

hope you've enjoyed it, trip report to follow at some point over the weekend or early next week (hopefully with some better photos of all the kit)
Sam

Last edited:

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Looks like a great little set up there. Vintage kit always looks beautiful but I'm always a little nervous as to how much rain it can put up with... or perhaps that is a part of the attraction to vintage stuff? :/

I rate those Polish Lavvu tents, can't go wrong for the money, if a little weighty.

Nice read tho, thanks for posting it up

Looks like a great little set up there. Vintage kit always looks beautiful but I'm always a little nervous as to how much rain it can put up with... or perhaps that is a part of the attraction to vintage stuff? :/

I rate those Polish Lavvu tents, can't go wrong for the money, if a little weighty.

Nice read tho, thanks for posting it up
I blagged the polish half as a trade so even better :)
Ive used canvas tarps in rain and not got wet so I'm pretty trusting.
Next up is the traditional grub to make.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I blagged the polish half as a trade so even better :)
Ive used canvas tarps in rain and not got wet so I'm pretty trusting.
Next up is the traditional grub to make.
I've yet to be permanently torn away from my Cordura bag and army basha but there's no doubt your setup here is more beautiful! I do need a swandri shirt in my life tho!

Out of interest, what does the whole set up weigh in at?

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Very interesting post Sam.

I'd be keen to know how well just a shelter half will protect you from rain? They are waterproof in my experience btw, but one half seems a little small to me.

Very interesting post Sam.

I'd be keen to know how well just a shelter half will protect you from rain? They are waterproof in my experience btw, but one half seems a little small to me.
I've no idea. Its an experiment :)
If it works I'll be happy if not well I've learnt from it
. Ive a much higher canvas tarp I'd use if it was forecast heavy rain.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Very nice Sam, I've been looking forward to seeing your set-up and it's mighty purty :).

The bed roll straps look top notch, nice work.

Lookin forward to the trip report now!

Oh and I came across this site when researching traditional gear, might be of use if you've not seen it already.

Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton
Awesome load out bro :) never even thought of a pocket watch, deffo going to get one of those! Also which pukko is that?

Looking forward to the write up! Where do you come from if you don't mind me asking?

Nice work Sam, be interesting to see the write up after you've tried it out :)
This friday is a tester before Lisa and I do the boone challenge in July. The write up will be honest as always...I'm already concerned about lack of any sort of roll mat

Awesome load out bro :) never even thought of a pocket watch, deffo going to get one of those! Also which pukko is that?

Looking forward to the write up! Where do you come from if you don't mind me asking?

Brian I'm from Bedfordshire mate.
The pocket watch was a gift from my son as was the hip flask. Both are engraved with messages :)
The pukko is called the reindeer on a swedish (I think) knife site

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Very nice.

Hope to see some of this on Friday :)

I love the look and feel of traditional kit, but why does the really nice stuff cost a months wage? I need some canvas in my life.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Awesome write up mate!! Thoroughly enjoyed... We most definitely enjoy using the same comforts and accessories! I kinda want to do a write up on mine now lol

By the way, is the Stupidly simple bug repellent, Tea Tree oil and water by any chance?? Thats a good one!

Very nice.

Hope to see some of this on Friday :)

I love the look and feel of traditional kit, but why does the really nice stuff cost a months wage? I need some canvas in my life.
Some of this? Thats the load all packed and good to go. Except a chair as I'm chilling out. Oh and the crook knife for you to nose at....

Awesome write up mate!! Thoroughly enjoyed... We most definitely enjoy using the same comforts and accessories! I kinda want to do a write up on mine now lol

By the way, is the Stupidly simple bug repellent, Tea Tree oil and water by any chance?? Thats a good one!
Do it mate write ups are always fun.
The stupidly simple bug repellant is the stuff being sold on here by xyrlia (I've probably spelt the username wrong)

Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton

Do a write up dude, may aswell join in with the pack ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE