SACKit - Staying Alive Cold Kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
You don't sleep a wink wrapped in a space blanket cos it's just too noisy, you just lay there wishing you'd packed a plastic survival bag and hoping that it doesn't get totally shredded in the wind as you slowly freeze to the ground.

They are OK for that 15- minute period between finishing a marathon and getting your race bag from the admin area but anyone who relies on a mylar space blanket in an emergency situation has got to be odds-on favourite for a Darwin award?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Interesting and thought-provoking - nice one Susanne!

Although I can't help remembering getting some directions whilst driving through Eire many years ago. The guy started off with "Well, you don't want to start from here...."

One question - which type of space-blanket are we talking about here? The ultra-flimsy sheets of foil? Or the substantially tougher Sol survival blankets or similar? THe reason I ask is that the flimsy stuff is just that - flimsy. Very easy to tear, and once a tear starts, its basically just scrap. As you might have gathered, I'm not a fan! The Sol blankets on the other hand are much tougher, and if you do tear it, it doesn't "run". If you are referring to the Sol sheets, then it all makes a bit more sense. THey may be a few grams heavier - maybe 40-50g - but aren't as likely to disintegrate, particularly if you have to cope with any wind.

Personally (and bear in mind this is totally hypothetical as I don't do ultralight!), you might be better off looking at how you carry your kit. I notice from your videos that your SACKit is kept in a bag hooked to your belt. Why not have a compact chest-rig like the RIBZ into which you can easily fit better SACKit contents without any real downsides. Easier and more comfortable to carry, less likely to get pulled off you as you struggle through a rapids after losing your kayak etc. Just a thought!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE