SACKit - Staying Alive Cold Kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Some one mentioned a tea light candle holder well worth the weight and space, open flame where you can't see it and control it not a very good idea. You can get away with it only so many times. There are heavier space blankets that can be used over and over again and still are very light weight.

You can control it just fine. There are always times when a heavier space blanket has its purpose, but this setup is primarily about LIGHTNESS and minimum pack volume so that it can fit in my pocket when I am running in the mountains in lycra and a windshirt.

I do not expect to have to use it. But my goodness, when you need it, its only there if it fits in your pocket.

:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It sounds such a tidy idea; but I do have reservations.
Firstly, wet and cold = sleepy when warmth returns. I'd hate to fall asleep over a lit candle while wearing a very, very flammable plastic sheet.
Secondly, confined space (small tipi of plastic) and breathing smoke, is not a good idea.

That's it really.
Why not just pack a waterproof and windproof plastic cagoule and trousers and a pack of dextrose sweeties ? weighs virtually nothing and yet is both protection and energy. If you're going to use modern materials why not use ones made for the job ?

cheers,
Toddy

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great idea! Makes the survival blanket much more capable. Carrying a beeswax candle to go with it makes sense to me as the beeswax burns much more cleanly, has more energy density and gives out more light.

When I carry something I do expect to use, just my experience

Either you don't carry a first aid kit or your a little accident prone. :lmao:

It sounds such a tidy idea; but I do have reservations.
Firstly, wet and cold = sleepy when warmth returns. I'd hate to fall asleep over a lit candle while wearing a very, very flammable plastic sheet.
Secondly, confined space (small tipi of plastic) and breathing smoke, is not a good idea.

That's it really.
Why not just pack a waterproof and windproof plastic cagoule and trousers and a pack of dextrose sweeties ? weighs virtually nothing and yet is both protection and energy. If you're going to use modern materials why not use ones made for the job ?

cheers,
Toddy

Because you need external heat when you get that cold.

Imagine the scenario - You are sea kayaking. You get rolled by a rogue wave. Lose contact with kayak. Make it to shore...just you and the PFD and a creeping feeling of impending doom.

Placcy cag won't help you there.

Or - you are fell running 2 hours from the road. Lycra and windtop. It's raining, windy and 2c but you don't mind because you have a windshell and are moving just fine.
Then you twist your ankle.
You are able to summon rescue on your cell phone but it's gonna be a looong cold wait.

Generally if I am still moving then the rainwear I have got will be fine. The movement keeps me warm.
This is for when I am not moving.

Breathing smoke - NO.
You stick your head out of the hole.

Sleepy is no biggie - you have to sit inside this with your knees drawn up. If you nod, you will absolutely know about it. Waaaay before your tiny candle causes any trouble...

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
The SACKit is a very good idea; Like Toddy about the safety of bare candles I would go for my Micro UCO Tea Light Candle holder to make it a bit safer or you can use a drinks can for a candle holder. If you a have a small drinks can like a Red Bull (TM) can cut it in half and then file the edges safe and then put some holes in the base and around the base, you can keep the tea lights in it and then turn it over to use as a lantern case and it does not add too much weight to the package I would roll the emergency blankets round the outside and use elastic bands to keep them in place.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Plastic sheet is plastic sheet. Near flames, NO.
Breathing in it when you're trying to get warm, trying to hold down a fly away sheet (that's why the cagoule's a better idea, it's shaped to fit, it doesn't want to become a kite) trying to get out of the wind, the rain and snow, and still be alert enough not to set yourself on fire.
You'd be better taking a couple of the lightweight heatpacks or one of the clicky buttons. For all they weigh, those and an oversized cheapy cagoule would be a lot less fuss and bother when needed in a hurry.

M

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I understand the concepts of ultra light, but factor X is always present. I really hope that she never uses this method under stress, its one of those extreme learning curves. Have seen too many burn victims, even agonizing deaths but that is just me

The SACKit is a very good idea; Like Toddy about the safety of bare candles I would go for my Micro UCO Tea Light Candle holder to make it a bit safer or you can use a drinks can for a candle holder. If you a have a small drinks can like a Red Bull (TM) can cut it in half and then file the edges safe and then put some holes in the base and around the base, you can keep the tea lights in it and then turn it over to use as a lantern case and it does not add too much weight to the package I would roll the emergency blankets round the outside and use elastic bands to keep them in place.

That would work!

Plastic sheet is plastic sheet. Near flames, NO.
Breathing in it when you're trying to get warm, trying to hold down a fly away sheet (that's why the cagoule's a better idea, it's shaped to fit, it doesn't want to become a kite) trying to get out of the wind, the rain and snow, and still be alert enough not to set yourself on fire.
You'd be better taking a couple of the lightweight heatpacks or one of the clicky buttons. For all they weigh, those and an oversized cheapy cagoule would be a lot less fuss and bother when needed in a hurry.

M

If you don't like, don't use... :)

Fire danger: Maybe burn vs certain death by exposure. Look in the little vid about how far away from the plastic the tiny flame really is.
Breathing: You keep your head outside the hole
Holding down: You sit on it.
Cag: Too big/heavy - this is a pocket thing...
Heatpacks: Nothing like enough BTUs (max 90 BTU for the heat pack vs candle 200-300 BTU per flame - go figure) They don't last long enough, they are heavy, and the clickers tend to go off in storage.

On the limitations of heatpacks
http://books.google.de/books?id=aye...#v=onepage&q=chemical heat pack watts&f=false

I understand the concepts of ultra light, but factor X is always present. I really hope that she never uses this method under stress, its one of those extreme learning curves. Have seen too many burn victims, even agonizing deaths but that is just me

Remember the scenario:
Fell running
Sea Kayaking

Unexpected horrors...

The risk to weigh here is certain death by exposure vs limited and manageable risk of burning...

Reality check:
In your backyard.
Sit under this thing.
Light that candle.
See if you think you can handle that.

If yes - DO IT
If no - DON'T DO IT

Simples...

A flameproof poncho and a nine hour t light would be perfect for this. You could tuck it in under yourself

Yeah, this can work with any kind of poncho of course....

This kit is mainly for a situation where you don't have such a thing...

This thing is in your pocket or your bum bag
You don't have a backpack with lots of nice survival gear...

If you did then of course you would never need to use this method.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I really like the SACKit idea and completely get the concept, associated scenarios, risk factors etc (and thanks to Susanne for sharing it).

For a heavier duty variation, some may be interested in this Youtube video fom Gary Wale (ex Bearclaw, Survivall). In it he uses a candle and old-school survival bag set up (from 11 mins 30 or thereabouts) in much the same manner (noting similar constraints).

[video=youtube;w-nyk3uU_K0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-nyk3uU_K0[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE