Painting a pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
However it raises the question, at the very end the guy adds a cool logo to his pack. How do you do this? Obviously a bit of paint isn't gonna cut the mustard

Any ideas guys?

It's a simple stencil job (he has it as 'scentil and spray', in the article).
Cut a stencil out of cartridge paper of the design you want.
Spread the cloth you want to stencil on a flat surface. If it's a panel of a pack you may have to put a box in the pack to get a flat surface under the area to be stencilled.
Hold the stencil in place with tape or weights, and mask off surrounding areas.
If you have paint aerosol in the colour you want, you can use that. Start and stop spraying off the stencil and do multiple quick sweeps across the area to be painted.
Don't try to do it all in one coat; it will blot under the edges of the stencil. Many light coats is the way.
An easier mthod, IMHO, is to dab the paint (household paint in the appropriate colour will be fine) on sparingly with a piece of sponge. Again, sparingly is the word. Put a drop of paint on the tin lid or a saucer and dab it around a bit so the sponge isn't dripping paint. You only want aenough on it to leave the patern of the sponge on the surface it touches. Again many light coats.
Try it out on a bit of scrap first. Whichever method you use there is a tendency to think, 'I'll just put a bit more on, it'll be ok'.
Then it blots (ask me how I know ;) )
Sparingly is the word.
If you're putting the right amount of paint on, the coats will dry enough to re-coat pretty quickly.

There'll be more U2b vids than you can shake a stick at.

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
The old moose bag:

attachment.php

Attachments

• M39 after.jpg
    M39 after.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 8
  • P7250052.jpg
    P7250052.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 80

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
It's the Swedish M39. Steel frame with pulk hooks at the corners. I never could get it adjusted so it was comfortable. Possibly because the straps stretched a little after oiling.

It cost me £3.50 but I will never get that much for it if I sell it on as I have painted it!

Z

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Klenchblaize, you put the leather waist strap on the bottom of pack around your waist then attach a pulk(type of kit carry sled) i think to the upturned metal rods on the pack to pull extra kit, im assuming in the days this pack was made the pulk attachment straps had a leather tab to fit over the upturned metal tabs?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE