Packed size of goretext bivy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Hi,

there is a ton of posts on the various goretex bivys (US, Dutch, British, French) with details of weight and opened size but I failed to see any mention of the packed size.

Could anyone shed light on that? How many liters does it take in the bag or what are the dimensions of the stuff packed?

Would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
P.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
ive got a DPM brit one (its the XT so huge for my big belly) and its really quite large even when packed but I just leave my sleeping bag in it and shove it into the bottom of my bergen. Keeps the bag waterproof too!

My mate has an alpkit hunka and that packs down smaller than the capital reserves of the Royal Bank of Scotland (did you see what i did there = that was almost satire there!).

tom

Jan 22, 2006
uk
they are big unfortunately, but if you're using it to sleep out without a tent etc its no bother, rolled up with the bag its fine. on its own i guess it would measure something like a sleeping bag, although maybe wider and thinner....hope that helps.
If your packing light and using a tent, leave it at home unless you sleep cold
cheers

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi,

there is a ton of posts on the various goretex bivys (US, Dutch, British, French) with details of weight and opened size but I failed to see any mention of the packed size.

Could anyone shed light on that? How many liters does it take in the bag or what are the dimensions of the stuff packed?

Would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
P.

P. It won't be big when packed. Designed for soldiers, I don't think the government would want them running around with a large bivvy bag they can't pack or carry

German, Dutch, Brit bags, they won't take up a mass of space in your bag

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
The british army goretex one I'm selling is a bit larger than a bag of flour..Don't know if that helps!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
my British army bivi when packed quite compact in a stuff sac measures about 18cm x 15cm, i don't use it now but use a snugpak one as it packs much smaller and weighs far less (about a third in packed size and weight of the Brit one), i am a short guy though and snugpak one is much smaller than Brit army one so may not suit the larger person.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Thanks for all the indications. Sounds like between 4-6 liters.

I'm really re-thinking a bit my approach (even though I'm all fresh to this): since my main playground (that is the one close to me) is a very civilized forest where you share the main paths with joggers, bikers and families, walking with a bulky pack is a bit awkward.

First step is to go from foam mat to a prolite, that will be a big step in the "low key" direction. Then for the night, a bivvy and the poncho in case of heavy rain would be better than the tarp. Maybe a lighter bivvy would be sufficient but those military ones are reported to be robust, waterproof and breathable. That's already a lot of qualities. Bivvy would also work well with the prolite, protecting it.

Day stuff should be in non army colors; night stuff should be camouflaged.

I'm still thinking that through. So thanks for the input.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE