Overlooking the Obvious?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I live in a place where the humidity hangs around 90+% year round, and most of the time it takes a bit of work to get a nice coal. However in say the desert SW of the US where humidity hangs about 30-50% much much easier so I accomodate the method to the temperate climate around me. A bamboo saw is great in the wetter climates, hand drill in arid for example. Does anyone have a special technique in different climate ranges?

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Brian Curnel said:
I live in a place where the humidity hangs around 90+% year round, and most of the time it takes a bit of work to get a nice coal. However in say the desert SW of the US where humidity hangs about 30-50% much much easier so I accomodate the method to the temperate climate around me. A bamboo saw is great in the wetter climates, hand drill in arid for example. Does anyone have a special technique in different climate ranges?

Well I do it in the outback and in the equatorial rain forest and use the same technique, even the same thickness of drill and board the only difference being that I am real careful to have dry material between the ground and the board. Of course it is slower in the jungle.

What diffrence in technique do you use?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The UK has a reputation for being damp. Gets more grey skies than anywhere on earth I understand. I find I have adapted my fire lighting to routinely damp conditions. Hand drill - elder seems to work all year whereas many otherwise good drills fail when they absorb damp from the air. In dampest weather a thin hardwood hearth board can quickly dry out with the heat from friction.

My tinder of well rubbed leaves and a lid on top works very well in damp condtions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE