Outdoor Show NEC....Fantastic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Womble said:
Now: about these girly artificial flints...!
Just to give you an idea of just how powerful that Blast Match is, Jack cleared that area were were in with it - and it only took a couple of strikes! :shock: :bu:

However, as with everything you have to have a balance and so that's why I was there with the traditional flint and steel striker.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Jack said:
Kath.
Pleasure. Didn’t know a lady could carry so many gadgets!
It was lovely to meet you too, Jack! :-D And thanks for buying the drinks on Friday night! :wink:

For those who weren't there ... we did a count up round the table in the pub and between the ten of us we had, if I recall correctly, 14 knives and 11 torches on or about our persons. I think I was carrying the most of each. :oops: Jack didn't have either but assured us that he was carrying a billook! :-D

We also had a count of the more bizarre kit that we kept at home, for example how many NBC suits we had in all between us. I can't recall how many it was (anyone??) but it was quite a few and Kate688 won hands-down by having hers with her in her car! :shock: (Stuart of course won outright on everything else and for having most rooms dedicated to his kit too I would imagine! What great stories he tells! ) A great time!! :uu:

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Kath said:
Jack said:
Kath.
Pleasure. Didn’t know a lady could carry so many gadgets!
It was lovely to meet you too, Jack! :-D And thanks for buying the drinks on Friday night! :wink:

For those who weren't there ... we did a count up round the table in the pub and between the ten of us we had, if I recall correctly, 14 knives and 11 torches on or about our persons. I think I was carrying the most of each. :oops: Jack didn't have either but assured us that he was carrying a billook! :-D

We also had a count of the more bizarre kit that we kept at home, for example how many NBC suits we had in all between us. I can't recall how many it was (anyone??) but it was quite a few and Kate688 won hands-down by having hers with her in her car! :shock: (Stuart of course won outright on everything else and for having most rooms dedicated to his kit too I would imagine! What great stories he tells! ) A great time!! :uu:

The funny thing is, Kath isn't joking. As we walked into the pub I had this line come to me from the film Robin Hood Prince of Thieves - ' no blades no bows, leave your weapons here'

Kath's girls had more knives on them the Stuart :shock:

And Kath, I think Stuart had 5 NBC suits and I can remember Cindy saying that she can't understand why Stuart has 5 Hennessy Hammocks!

I did feel left out as I had no kit at all :oops:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jack said:
Yeah Jack, talking of blades, where were the billhooks? Are we just not ready for them yet? :-D

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Adi007 said:
Jack said:
Yeah Jack, talking of blades, where were the billhooks? Are we just not ready for them yet? :-D

Sorry about that Adi but the community just isn't ready for them yet, you know that once you are Gransfors and Wetterlings will go out of business over night............I just don't want that responsibility!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jack said:
Adi007 said:
Jack said:

Sorry about that Adi but the community just isn't ready for them yet, you know that once you are Gransfors and Wetterlings will go out of business over night............I just don't want that responsibility!
All you need to do to obliterate GB and Wetterlings is to take a picture of Ray Mears with a billhook in his hands and they're gone! :-D

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
All in all a brilliant time......That Jack bloke is barkin' though :shock:

Kiddin' fella :-D I was well peeved when I had to go home...No chance of that on the next one......

Oh by the way, I did mention to some that I'd be going to the gathering...I was wrong. I mentioned it to Jules when I got home, she raised an eyebrow and had an odd little smirk on her face as she said "aren't you forgetting something?"..... She was right, I was forgetting something...........IT'S ME BLOOMIN' WEDDING DAY !! :yikes:

She laughed her bottom off when I realised (who's a numpty??...That'll be me then.) So i'm afraid I'll have to bow out on this years gathering as I'll be at the altar in a funny suit. <*thinks:- I wonder if anyone has ever got married in a Swanny?*> :cool:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
ou could always come down afterwards Maddave ... Nah, I'm only kidding! :-D

Hope that you and Jules have a wonderful day! :biggthump

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I turned up on sunday and had a great time. Had a good chat with Tony, would have stayed and chatted for longer but SWMBO wanted to see the rest of the show as well. Even managed to treat myself a Kuksa, although it was a trade off as the wife wanted a few things from some of the other stands. I would like to thank Tony as with his help we managed to convince SWMBO that I really do need a GB SFA, cheers mate.

Hope to see you around some time,

Brian

J

Jamie

I was just wondering what Stuart needs with the assault ladders???? :-?

Dave....what about starting the honeymoon down in East Knoyle....am sure SWMBO wont mind!!!!

Again, we had such an amazing time and were bowled over by everybody although am a bit worried about a lot of peoples tracking skills :lol:

Roll on September

Jamie

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
maddave said:
She laughed her bottom off when I realised (who's a numpty??...That'll be me then.) So i'm afraid I'll have to bow out on this years gathering as I'll be at the altar in a funny suit. <*thinks:- I wonder if anyone has ever got married in a Swanny?*> :cool:

Hey Dave, you could always invite all of us :rolmao: we would even wash our clothes and I'm sure some would be happy to do the catering, a nice bit of fish, wild plants, snails, roots, nettle soup, squirrel, rabbit, birch sap...........Martin is particularly good at getting large quantities of it and I bet there are a few on here that can turn it into a nice tipple!

Have a great day mate and let your future Mrs Madness know we wish here all the best.

Tone

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Well if you peeps can put up with me, I'll try and come for the whole weekend next year, really didn't want to go. Sam did remark that it made a change to meet some mates who were normal (did she actually go to the event????? :lol: )

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
had a great day saturday, didn't spend as much money as i should have. :lol:

for some reason it didn't click that the bcuk stand was outside, so when i saw a guy with a ventile smock and a snugpak rocket pack carrying a wooden canoe paddle, i thought i'd ask him! turned out it was martin. :cool: i was inspired by his birch tapping ideas, so i went out and tapped some myself sunday afternoon.

it was great meeting everybody, hopefully we'll get together again with sightly less hectic circumstances.

jack, i have a cunning plan for the hook!

cheers, and.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
It was great to meet you all on Saturday. I was walking past the "pub" inside the show, this guy taps me on the shoulder and says "Excuse me can you tell where the BCUK stand is please"
So I asked him who he was.

"Sargey" he answered

So I asked him why he asked me.

He said "You're wearing Ventile, you have a Rocket Pack on your back and you're carrying a Canoe paddle you have got to be a bushcrafter"
Who needs a badge????????? :-D :-D :rolmao:

Bought myself a canoe and all the bits n bobs. Came home skint.
Journey-2003.jpg

One of these but in a nice green :-D

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
I must agree with all the others - excellent BCUK area, I went on Friday and hovered around the edges on Friday afternoon for a while and chatted with Stuart and from watching him tap Birch sap, I remembered the Ray Mears snippett from years ago. I thought the show was OK, almost too big!!

On Saturday, I was with the Sussex Junior Archery squad, for an outdoor mini tournament (I am a coach and their team manager)- I managed to slip away for a few minutes in the woods that surrounded their field and found a Birch tree - tapped the sap and drunk from the bowl - a wonderful experience, and one I will repeat every spring - so thanks BCUK for nudging the memories.

Graham.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
EdS said:
Jack,

Liked the tool kit roll.

As I said it a better version of one I've been using. Certainly keeps kit together and makes it look more "respectable"/ workman like.

Helps stop people way the back of works pick up if full of axe, saw, knife etc. well you got to do something on your lunch break when your in the middle of a field.

Keep me informed on the design progress as I'd be up for one.

Hi Eds.

Good to meet you and thanks for your input on the tool roll, it was very much appreciated! I think we have a strong product there and we will take you advice on it and fine tune it!

Hope to see you soon.

Jack.

Hi guys :-D

I'm a newbie here, but I must say that the Outdoors Show was FANTASTIC!!!!!!

I haven't been before, and I know how much I've missed out on now!

Were any of you the guys out by the Land Rover Challenge area by any chance? I really didn't have enough time to take a good look around there, as my parents and their friends wanted to head back home :-? Still, those US Survival Kits looked quite dandy, and I'm after some of the bits and bobs from those when I get a bit more copper.

Nice to meet you all,

Si :-D

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Many thanks to Dave for the fantastic fire by friction demonstrations!!!!
I have never seen somone light so many fires with a bow drill in one day, we lost count of how many times you did it!

P1010039.jpg

P1010049.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE