Original Kephart Knife Examined

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just read an interesting article where the author got to handle a Kephart knife made by the original makers commissioned by him to make his knives.

Article here

colclesser-Kephart-hero-1-600x386.jpeg

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Very interesting, especially where the blade thickens. Thanks for posting.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Anybody got a drawing of one of these, with dimensions?

I was sorting through my material stocks yesterday and found some pieces of steel bar that I think might be just right for making one of these. It looks a simple enough design that even I might be able to knock one up.

The blade shape is similar to something I cobbled together from a piece of mild bar (but without the thinned spine), just to practice using some simple power tools, about twenty years ago.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I didn't know about the thinner spine either. Next time i make one ill try it out.

I did a lot of research when i started making the Kepharts... more to find the original shape, rather than use the worn out knife Kephart himself carried which many seem to recreate.

But i never read about the spine.

Reactions: Mr Wolf

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE