Optimus Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
The "How To Make Meths Smell Nice" thread has got me thinking ;)

I have two old Optimus stoves in my shed, a 8R and a 111B.

I'm gonna dig them out this weekend, however before I fill them full of fuel and start them a roaring (the sound is fantastic) is their anything I should really check first.

It has been many years since they were last used, normally I would dive in and sod the consequences however I must be getting weak in my old age :eek:

Thanks for any help :)

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Sending them to me would be the best precaution. :D

Failing that, I dont think there will be any problems at all, I would perhaps take the pump rod out of the 111 and soak the leather in parrafin or light oil for a day or two. The only other problem I can imagine are the fuel cap seals drying out, if this is the case, there are suitable sized replacements to be found in the central heating shelf at B&Q.

Don't forget the all important pictures! ;)

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
mojofilter said:
Sending them to me would be the best precaution. :D

Failing that, I dont think there will be any problems at all, I would perhaps take the pump rod out of the 111 and soak the leather in parrafin or light oil for a day or two. The only other problem I can imagine are the fuel cap seals drying out, if this is the case, there are suitable sized replacements to be found in the central heating shelf at B&Q.

Don't forget the all important pictures! ;)

Thanks for that Mojo

Pictures to follow ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Put fresh juice in em and if they don't work clean the jets and so on with carb cleaner.

Oh and maybe a drop of penetrating oil on the pressure relief valve.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi there, I would rinse the tanks out with fresh fuel first, there could well be a build up of muck. Replace the tank seals with nitrile O rings from B&Q or a good hardware shop etc. Soak the pump leather in oil (I use olive oil) overnight, if its shot, pm me and I should have a spare I can send you. As said, WD40 the release valve.

I don't burn unleaded petrol, too much cancer giving muck in it, I use Coleman (very expensive) or automotive panel wipe (£12-£15 for 5 litres from a motor spares shop), its up to you

Good luck, you have two great stoves there :)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I have an old Primus which I got going again recently. You just can't beat the noise of a good going Primus to evoke the feeling of the hills and freedom. When I feel deprived I just go up to my shed and start up the stove, brew a cup of tea, and the world seems a better place. Gas is great but Brass is best!

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Well I got the 8R going ;)

S4020177.jpg

However the 111b needs some work so Rik I'll be sending you a PM :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE