Opinions please; chatter on threads...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
buying and selling has to be considerate by both parties

and consideration is answering any pertinent questions about the item by the seller who is selling those items so the purchaser mitigates a wrong purchase
Pertinent questions about condition is fair.

Questions about specification for something that's mass produced then no, go look it up yourself and do your own due diligence in finding out what you need to know.

1657837694481.png

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
1657837694481.png
latin for "let the buyer beware" and it is not res-specific for condition as it is much broader see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

It is a short form of Caveat emptor, quia ignorare non debuit quod jus alienum emit ("Let a purchaser beware, for he ought not to be ignorant of the nature of the property which he is buying from another party."
Goods bought through "distance selling," for example online or by phone, also have a statutory "cooling off" period of fourteen calendar days[5] during which the purchase contract can be cancelled and treated as if not done.

Last edited:

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I've been on this forum for like 18 months... I've never had or seen others having an issue with buying/selling items.. other than potential buyers wasting their time, myself and many others included as timewasters....and as far as I'm aware nothing has changed with the methods (other than inclusion of PayPal fees?)
Looking at some of your profiles, many of the well known names have joined over a decade ago.. perhaps you guys are more versed in making the decisions than us new lot.

@knowledge=gain I think you need to understand that the forum is free for most, if you're a buyer you don't have to pay to join, you also have full control over whether to part with your money or not. But equally you must understand the loose and flexibility of the forum, if you really do start dictating or wanting various rules to be enforced, you're going to tie the forum into potentially legal conundrums. There really is no need.
I'm sorry, but your questions regarding warranty did seem very silly to me. I can understand it being desirable, but wanting transferable warranty on a couple knives you'd be parting £30 for and letting that reason be the reason you missed out on the sale leaves the responsibility solely with yourself. If I was you'd I'd have weighed up the product: 2 knives, £30, good condition, (near new condition?), .. if they fit, then just cough up the cash, if you find warranty is there then big bonus, if not then you've got 2 knives for £30... seems reasonable to me.. I think to throw a spanner in the works and really drive for wholesale changes over what I personally deem to be your mistake/your problem (and note, I did similar less than a week ago!) is too much to swallow... I think if both you and I were seasoned members, or were a fair representation of a common problem, then it might be worth considering, but I'm letting my years mount up before I consider stamping my feet... about that blooming knife I missed out on the other week!! Curses... haha

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've been on this forum for like 18 months... I've never had or seen others having an issue with buying/selling items.. other than potential buyers wasting their time, myself and many others included as timewasters....and as far as I'm aware nothing has changed with the methods (other than inclusion of PayPal fees?)
Looking at some of your profiles, many of the well known names have joined over a decade ago.. perhaps you guys are more versed in making the decisions than us new lot.

@knowledge=gain I think you need to understand that the forum is free for most, if you're a buyer you don't have to pay to join, you also have full control over whether to part with your money or not. But equally you must understand the loose and flexibility of the forum, if you really do start dictating or wanting various rules to be enforced, you're going to tie the forum into potentially legal conundrums. There really is no need.
I'm sorry, but your questions regarding warranty did seem very silly to me. I can understand it being desirable, but wanting transferable warranty on a couple knives you'd be parting £30 for and letting that reason be the reason you missed out on the sale leaves the responsibility solely with yourself. If I was you'd I'd have weighed up the product: 2 knives, £30, good condition, (near new condition?), .. if they fit, then just cough up the cash, if you find warranty is there then big bonus, if not then you've got 2 knives for £30... seems reasonable to me.. I think to throw a spanner in the works and really drive for wholesale changes over what I personally deem to be your mistake/your problem (and note, I did similar less than a week ago!) is too much to swallow... I think if both you and I were seasoned members, or were a fair representation of a common problem, then it might be worth considering, but I'm letting my years mount up before I consider stamping my feet... about that blooming knife I missed out on the other week!! Curses... haha

I’ve been signed up here 18 Years, 7 Months, 16 Days. Long service doesn’t equate to knowledge but in that time I’ve seen many transactions and also plenty of those that ‘know best’ come along. If the idea is good, it’ll work but they need to put the leg work in. I’ve seen plenty of folk get annoyed at a missed transaction from their own ineptitude at some point in the process. They need to learn from it, not expect the rest to revolve around them.

I would love to know how many transactions have happened here and also a rough value. It will be a lot!

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
I've recently whinged to MoT about this so I'll do it here too, I'd like to see no comments in sales threads.

I think questions should be dealt with by PM/DM.

My view is that comments are a distracting, not as helpful as people may think and often a matter of opinion. To which is better dealt with politely, and not in a dirty-laundry / sour grapes manner.

Edge Matters has this rule and frankly I think it's spot on.

They also have a required format for sales threads which is setup as a template on all threads, which I think helps capture and guide prudent information to be recorded.

Example as follows:

Your advert MUST include the template below! - If you have no 'EXTRAS', leave it blank - All other fields are mandatory - You must include at least one photo of the actual item - Please DELETE these instructions (the text in red). They are not part of the template.
1. ITEM:
2. CONDITION:
3. EXTRAS:

4. LOCATION:
5. PRICE:
6. DESCRIPTION:
7. PICTURES:

I know sometimes I have not included detail which would have been more prudent, or I thought was easy to find. In those situations I've been asked, I have added it in thread. Seems straightforward.

What I do see on a broader level, and I know this is a place of discussion and information, is that threads, not just sales do get readily derailed. It genuinely puts me off posting.

I do however recognise it must be a nightmare to moderate some of our waffle frankly....it's a pity we can't all exercise a little bit more self-moderation from time to time.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have bought stuff here, I have sold stuff here and found that the system worked fine and needed no fixing as the majority of folk are reasonable for the majority of the time.
Once you start messing with the systems that work for the reasonable to cater for the unreasonable you tie everyone in knots and the whole ethos of a site goes to pot.
The way to work with the unreasonable is to use the ignore button (it does not blank the whole thread - I have been following this one well enough despite "ignore"ing the poster I have decided is unreasonable and not one that I want any dealings with) and if that does not work then quietly inform the Mods that you seem to be having a problem with whomsoever.
If you find you are using the ignore button to often it could be that it is you yourself that is being unreasonable.....

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I haven't bought anything on a forum but I occasionally visit such sales threads. I even contribute if I feel. I have something to contribute.

For example if I have experience or knowledge of a particular item being sold I might put information in if it's positive or mostly positive. I also feel it fair to make a warning over a product such as an item of clothing being known to have excessively long, gorilla sleeves. My purpose is to help both the seller and potential buyer. No bad sale is good to see. It can sour online experience I think.

I do try to keep things short too. I said try! Not my best skill....

Labouring a point gets nowhere.

First come first served applies but it's nice if you're the second or third to be interested you let the one ahead have a fair crack at buying. But not if that takes too long. If you need the money is fair to accept that first come first served principle.

Warranties I think have to be assumed not to transfer unless it's in the small print. That's the buyer to investigate unless the seller has the information with the box or paperwork the item came with.

Just a few of my opinions on this. But basically the mods are right in how they moderate such threads. They do good work imho in a very balanced and effective way. Long may it continue.

Reactions: Broch and wookii

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I’ve been signed up here 18 Years, 7 Months, 16 Days. Long service doesn’t equate to knowledge but in that time I’ve seen many transactions and also plenty of those that ‘know best’ come along. If the idea is good, it’ll work but they need to put the leg work in. I’ve seen plenty of folk get annoyed at a missed transaction from their own ineptitude at some point in the process. They need to learn from it, not expect the rest to revolve around them.

I would love to know how many transactions have happened here and also a rough value. It will be a lot!

I think long service does equate to long experience however. Like I said, in my 18 months I've seen a lot of sales and a handful of timewasters/scammers which are normally weaned out due to their brand new status. Most sales seem successful without hiccups and the relaxed attitude seems to work.

One point I don't like about all questions being in pms is that you may find answers to your potential question answered by others.. I can't think what exactly, but idk maybe someone selling a cast iron pan and someone asking if it's heavy enough to clonk an attacking weasel.. the seller may not know, but someone owning the same thing might be able to help...

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
What I do see on a broader level, and I know this is a place of discussion and information, is that threads, not just sales do get readily derailed. It genuinely puts me off posting.
there are a attempts to derail this thread by [paid members] after i clearly said

that is another issue for another thread for resolution
then i had to repeat myself
not a discussion for this thread, please lets keep focus for res-specific for this thread

i have seen this a lot whereby certain [paid] members think they can go and argue the toss and even name call and berate folk in others threads, whereby it detracts from the true nature and the friendly atmosphere these forums are based on

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
... but posts stuff on the thread that diverts attention from the actual purpose of the thread.
Case in point.

The sales section looks like it works well; the comparison with British Blades is valid; the rigour there worked reasonably well, but I'm also of the opinion that it's not the right fit for here.

SMH somewhat on some of the suggestions here though.

Buying from a forum is in no way comparable to buying things "normally" online (and as if it matters in the slightest, my first purchase online was 1995). Sale of Goods, now Consumer Rights Act has no relevance and to expect things to be handled in the same way is naive at best. I can't see any issue with directing people to a manufacturer's site (beats copy & paste and refers to the source); nor can I see an issue with some Q&A.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
there are a attempts to derail this thread by [paid members] after i clearly said

then i had to repeat myself

i have seen this a lot whereby certain [paid] members think they can go and argue the toss and even name call and berate folk in others threads, whereby it detracts from the true nature and the friendly atmosphere these forums are based on
You seem to think you can stroll in and dictate how the forum is run and have everyone dancing to your tune. The forum is evolving and always has been, but not according to one person's rather borishly overstated opinion.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
You seem to think you can stroll in and dictate how the forum is run and have everyone dancing to your tune.
no dictation, just observations of true events on this forum

The forum is evolving and always has been, but not according to one person's rather borishly overstated opinion.
this is the kind of attitude i refer to in my observation, rather than have open and free friendly dialogue this tone takes away from the friendly side this forum is obviously based on

i never said i was right nor wrong, you will read that i said

what i have in mind and it might be in the correct direction moving forward or complete opposite

are you trying to say only [paid] members are allowed dialogue on such topics as this one [1] ...??

@Toddy asked and i have given my thoughts and observations to help where i can and from personal experience

even @Toddy a moderator and others agree that my suggestion of a faq could be viable

i am not here to argue or berate or belittle or derail the thread like others clearly do as that does not get anyone anywhere

now lets please keep res-specific for this thread so we can all get a mutual solution for the res-specific at hand as @Toddy so kindly asked for our thoughts and opinions

it is not a matter for who is right or wrong, it is however about what is right moving forward

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Wow!
I know I've had my moments here, but one person's responses to this question are incredibly...ummm.....?
To my 2p worth, having only bought a couple of items myself over the years I've been on this forum, I'd say, pm's to the seller for further details/discussion about payment etc if necessary are best.
It's fine as it is, don't need to mend what ain't broken.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
BcUK is a generally laid back sort of place, on the whole. Not saying we don't have rammies, because we do, but on the whole folks are inclined to be tolerant. They'd rather sit in peace than kind of be blunder busted, iimmc ? It has been said before, but it's worth repeating, that it's the membership that make the forum :)

The simplicity of keeping the sales thread clean and free from other chatter appeals. It's easy to Mod, it's easy to accept as a guideline. Not every item needs any more detail.....like are arms really gorilla like ? ....or is it a pain to sharpen, sort of thing

I'm wondering now about pestering the Boss (Tony) to maybe let us have an AfterSales for the kind of conversation about the occasional item(s) that folks are curious to know more about.

M

Reactions: Woody girl

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
BcUK is a generally laid back sort of place, on the whole. Not saying we don't have rammies, because we do, but on the whole folks are inclined to be tolerant. They'd rather sit in peace than kind of be blunder busted, iimmc ? It has been said before, but it's worth repeating, that it's the membership that make the forum :)

The simplicity of keeping the sales thread clean and free from other chatter appeals. It's easy to Mod, it's easy to accept as a guideline. Not every item needs any more detail.....like are arms really gorilla like ? ....or is it a pain to sharpen, sort of thing

I'm wondering now about pestering the Boss (Tony) to maybe let us have an AfterSales for the kind of conversation about the occasional item(s) that folks are curious to know more about.

M
What’s stopping anyone starting a discussion thread about an item they saw for sale as it stands? Nothing really. Or are you thinking of something different?
I think just keep it simple.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE