Opinions please; chatter on threads...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
there is no compulsion to view a thread, if you don't like whats going on, don't look at it.

I am on a forum, (electronics not knife based) where if you actually ask any question about an item, other than through a PM, you get banned for 7 days, now they say if the question is relevant and may help other interesting parties, then it may be deemed ok, but that is up to the Mods, if they don't think it's relevant, then you get banned.
Very little gets sold on the forum, as people are too scared to ask relevant questions, relevant to themselves, even trivial, but important to a possible buyer.

What I think is unacceptable on any forum is to degrade anyone who does ask a question, no matter how daft it seems, the ignore button is there if you need it, problem solved......probably the easiest way, as the person being ignored doesn't know he/she is being ignored, (I think thats the way it works).

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
@Stew I think you have the right of it. We need some kind known structure to them, and it does seem both easiest to 'accept' all round as well as to moderate.

I think that @knowledge=gain and the faq idea might well have some play in it though.
Starting threads on the topic, while there's an active sales thread though.....:dunno:
I think it'd be better if the thread waited until the sales thread was finished, but how else do folks learn ? ask relevant and timely questions ?

M
A never ending faq / chat about current sales would just not work. It would soon turn into disordered chaos. Separate threads for kit that people want to talk about, possibly prompted by sales.

Reactions: scruff and Toddy

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
I think that @knowledge=gain and the faq idea might well have some play in it though.
Starting threads on the topic, while there's an active sales thread though.....:dunno:
what i have in mind and it might be in the correct direction moving forward or complete opposite

as a thread which has been suggested and several agree including i agree and res-specific being worked out

here goes

using the mora knife thread as the example for not what happened in the comments but as the items for sale [notice items plural] of the same but different model knives

thread title could be along the lines of

mora knives specs and uses with safety tips

then add in the specs and potential uses and safety tips

it could even be a general faq rather than dedicated for sales then a seller could link to the relevant thread for the potential purchaser

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
what i have in mind and it might be in the correct direction moving forward or complete opposite

as a thread which has been suggested and several agree including i agree and res-specific being worked out

here goes

using the mora knife thread as the example for not what happened in the comments but as the items for sale [notice items plural] of the same but different model knives

it could even be a general faq rather than dedicated for sales then a seller could link to the relevant thread for the potential purchaser

Have you tried the search button and looking at relevant sections? There is much already previously discussed on the forum.

It sounds like I'm trying to put your idea down , I'm not - just that the search function can lead to a lot of previously supplied knowledge

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
In my experience the kit for sale on here is pretty standard and shouldn’t result in too many questions.
Mostly it’s priced to sell, I’ve had some real bargains and I’ve sold kit for less than market value.
It’s a digital car boot.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

here goes

Asking the seller for further info on a custom made knife is reasonable.

For info on a mass produced item then there's there's plenty on the manufacturers websites or Google if you want reviews that tell you more.

I'm with Stew on how an FAQ page dedicated to the hundreds of items that get sold on this forum would become completely unworkable especially when there's a lot more information elsewhere if you can be bothered to do your own research.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
In my experience the kit for sale on here is pretty standard and shouldn’t result in too many questions.
Mostly it’s priced to sell, I’ve had some real bargains and I’ve sold kit for less than market value.
It’s a digital car boot.
My experience too.
Sellers have reputations as people (not as sellers) which are far more prestigious on the forum than is worth losing by "stealing" the equivalent of pocket change by selling a **** item..
I've never had a problem and I did my own research about specific manufacturer details.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
is it not a better idea for not sending folk on a wild goose chase with so much misinformation on the internet and have the knowledge right here at your fingertips by those that own and use such products...??

plus the analytics will love us for this forum

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
No.
How does a seller on here become an authority on the kit they are selling?

Asking for a rough size is probably reasonable, an answer such as “I’m a 44 inch chest and it’s a bit snug” is reasonable.

Anything more find the specs for yourself. If you doubt the seller or item then don’t buy it!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
is it not a better idea for not sending folk on a wild goose chase with so much misinformation on the internet and have the knowledge right here at your fingertips by those that own and use such products...??

plus the analytics will love us for this forum
What wild goose chase would it be and what misinformation would there be if you tell someone to check out the manufacturers website?

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Anything more find the specs for yourself. If you doubt the seller or item then don’t buy it!
that is likely why part reason many sales posts stay on sale for months at a time

as was said earlier some folk potential purchasers are afraid to ask questions

it seems that going by this thread some sellers are afraid to answer questions for potential purchasers too

why is it so hard to answer relevant question for items on sale to potential purchasers...??

it also comes across as mala-fide and definitely not as bona-fide

if a seller refuses to answer any pertinent questions i ask they get no sale and it could be months before the next purchaser comes along and price had to be reduced and post bumped many times before any sale is complete

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Re my comment earlier about not knowing the steel of my own knives. I know the knives though, I know their reputation, and so do most folks who've been involved for a while.
It's background knowledge that we are familiar with, but technical details.....well, go and look it up, it's what I'd have to do, and the manufacturer's site will surely give more detailed information than a quick trawl.

M

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
there is no compulsion to view a thread, if you don't like whats going on, don't look at it.

I am on a forum, (electronics not knife based) where if you actually ask any question about an item, other than through a PM, you get banned for 7 days, now they say if the question is relevant and may help other interesting parties, then it may be deemed ok, but that is up to the Mods, if they don't think it's relevant, then you get banned.
Very little gets sold on the forum, as people are too scared to ask relevant questions, relevant to themselves, even trivial, but important to a possible buyer.

What I think is unacceptable on any forum is to degrade anyone who does ask a question, no matter how daft it seems, the ignore button is there if you need it, problem solved......probably the easiest way, as the person being ignored doesn't know he/she is being ignored, (I think thats the way it works).
I’ve noticed that the ignore function hides whole threads that the person being ignored have responded to? Unless it’s just if they replied last?

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
that is likely why part reason many sales posts stay on sale for months at a time

as was said earlier some folk potential purchasers are afraid to ask questions

it seems that going by this thread some sellers are afraid to answer questions for potential purchasers too

why is it so hard to answer relevant question for items on sale to potential purchasers...??

it also comes across as mala-fide and definitely not as bona-fide

You misread, folks are scared on another forum. This forum there is no question fear. I think you have to be realistic and wise.. if you're going to be dropping over £100 on an item (many nearer £1000 on the forum) then by all means, ask questions, if you don't like the answers then walk away.. if you're going to be throwing a handful of tens (which I appreciate no one omwants to waste), then just accept that it's not a unique rare item, it's likely generic, the info is likely readily available and certain aspects of the items are just not worth bothering about...
Warranty for example, if such a big deal, is not worth hunting for on 2nd hand items.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Asking the seller for further info on a custom made knife is reasonable.

For info on a mass produced item then there's there's plenty on the manufacturers websites or Google if you want reviews that tell you more.

I'm with Stew on how an FAQ page dedicated to the hundreds of items that get sold on this forum would become completely unworkable especially when there's a lot more information elsewhere if you can be bothered to do your own research.
Folk can buy new from a shop if they want a full description, warranty and specifications.
I’ve bought and sold on forums for years and never had a massive problem.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's simple really. If I describe an item that I am selling and get a part of the description wrong, I am potentially liable. If I point to the manufacturer's spec then I'm not. Clearly, if I have modded the item, I must describe it but if someone can't be bothered to check the spec out before buying then they really shouldn't be buying over the internet.

I do think a seller should put up a photo that shows the condition of the item but the description is better pointed to on the manufacturer's site IMO.

Anyway, back to the OP - I think it works just fine as it is. PM's are there for personal questions and no-one I've seen has started slagging off an item for sale (unless I've missed something).

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
buying and selling has to be considerate by both parties

and consideration is answering any pertinent questions about the item by the seller who is selling those items so the purchaser mitigates a wrong purchase

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE