Opinions please; chatter on threads...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
please correct me if i am wrong and for clarity

does that mean both [paid] and [non paid] membership...??

as some seem to imply it refers to only [paid] membership

On the contrary, a great deal of the discussion, banter, and comradery, comes from non-paid members. We're all part of the community and we all contribute to the 'feel' of the forum.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Stew, I do take your point, I think it's the timely relevance that's niggling at me on this.

To continue the sales thread into discussion is one thing, but, it clutters the thread and gives a kind of tolerance for that behaviour that we don't really want to encourage.
But, to kick off a thread from scratch, with nothing sort of starting it off, somehow seems stilted.

I'm sort of just mentally wandering with this one :)

M

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
@Stew, I do take your point, I think it's the timely relevance that's niggling at me on this.

To continue the sales thread into discussion is one thing, but, it clutters the thread and gives a kind of tolerance for that behaviour that we don't really want to encourage.
But, to kick off a thread from scratch, with nothing sort of starting it off, somehow seems stilted.

I'm sort of just mentally wandering with this one :)

M
Aah, so you mean allow chat in the existing thread post sale?

I think it’s a fair idea but Buckshot’s mention that some people won’t distinguish between when they can chat and when they can’t. You also face the issue that it will artificially bump non sale items up the page over stuff still for sale which will encourage more bumping for those who want theirs at the top.

Reactions: Toddy and Buckshot

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What’s stopping anyone starting a discussion thread about an item they saw for sale as it stands? Nothing really. Or are you thinking of something different?
I think just keep it simple.
Nothing at all and in my opinion the best way forward.

As I said previously, folks may ignore a discussion in a sales thread for a variety of reason whereas they might not ignore another thread about that item because it's not a for sale thread and even contribute to the discussion.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Stew, That's it exactly.

Folks want to know more, but how do we fit in that chatter in a way that doesn't disrupt or distracting from a sales thread.

It's not just folks who want to buy that item that want to know more, iimmc ?

@Mesquite
That's very true, but it's the same thing about distracting folks from a sales thread, or undermining the sales thread.

M

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
@Stew, That's it exactly.

Folks want to know more, but how do we fit in that chatter in a way that doesn't disrupt or distracting from a sales thread.

It's not just folks who want to buy that item that want to know more, iimmc ?

@Mesquite
That's very true, but it's the same thing about distracting folks from a sales thread, or undermining the sales thread.

M
I don’t think there are folk that want to know more that aren’t starting threads to ask. I think it’s a none problem.

Reactions: nigelp

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
[USER=8672]@Mesquite
I don't think it would undermine a sales thread but rather increase the chances of an item selling, especially if someone says so and so has one for sale at the moment.

How many times has there been rushes on here to buy items recommended or reviewed by folks? You've caused a few yourself Mary with the links to high quality sewing needles on ebay causing them to be sold out very quickly much to the sellers beweilderment and happiness at the sudden rush they just experienced :)

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
On a whole, is this really a bother? I've noticed large clearouts tend to dominate sales threads when they come along now and again, that's about it. Most sales seem to be up and gone before one can blink...

Reactions: wookii

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the occasional one that triggers a blether.
Like Moras....love or loathe or which one ??? I've got five different ones, and I'm not alone in that.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It's the occasional one that triggers a blether.
Like Moras....love or loathe or which one ??? I've got five different ones, and I'm not alone in that.

Yeah but sales is not the place for that chat.

Poor little Johnny is there trying to sell his basha but his listing keeps getting pushed down in the classifieds because someone is chatting about moras, another about Laplanders, some about silky saws, Spydercos, bergans, etc, etc, etc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye :) so no chatter in sales/classifieds but the only way to keep a sales thread to the top of the 'new posts' list is to keep it active......on no chattering......

Reactions: Woody girl

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I check sales (pretty much) daily, if I've not read something then it's in bold... If it's new and I want it I'll buy it (or miss out), and if its an old chatter thread then I'll see very quickly and move down to the next bold thread until I find either the end or the item that I'll inevitably miss out on... I don't think the system is flawed enough to warrant any real changes (EDIT: FOR HOW I USE IT ANYWAY). I'm not sure anyone is missing out on quality whether seller or buyer in its current status...

If there was no sub section at all for sales, chatter, kit review, trips, etc then yeh, divisions would be needed but... there is...

I think it's also very easy to navigate.. if the thread is bare on information then ask away, if it's full on info then buy it or praise it for other buyers to have confidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: wookii and nigelp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE