Opinel Stainless?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I really like Opinel knives unbeatable at the price.

How do the stainless steel (inox) Opinel knives compare to the carbon blades? I would be using it around water a lot hence the reluctance to use a carbon knife.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I had a # 9 with rosewood handle but i found the steel was very soft and tended to roll the edge and the tip bent very easily.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One problem I have had with using a carbon steel Opinel in wet(ish) areas was from the handle swelling up slightly and making it hard to open.

Years since I have owned an Opinel though ( I was not much older then a nipper when I had my last one) so perhaps its a fairly isolated incident :confused:

I still like em but I had one in my hand yesterday and was surprised as how small a No8 felt in my hand nowadays as it was always the size I went for.

Suppose that's what comes with growing up.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I had an Opinel #8 Inox with a rosewood handle. I despised it. Rapidboy's right, the steel rolls really easily. Then I bought two #7's in carbon and still wasn't satisfied. All in all though, they're not so bad. Some people like Opi's a whole lot and even swear by them. Just because I don't doesn't mean that they're not a good blade. For the price Anthonyyy, buy one and see how it suits your fancy.

Cheers,

Adam

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
rapidboy said:
I had a # 9 with rosewood handle but i found the steel was very soft and tended to roll the edge and the tip bent very easily.

Yeah, but that's Opinels all over. I don't find any difference in this regard between the carbon and stainless blades.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I like my opis but you have to treat them right there not built to knock down houses
you can turn the edge and you can snap the tip off and the handle does swell when it gets wet (but you can oil it to sort that out) but if you look at bang for buck they are a smashing little knife for general purpose work

James

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
gregorach said:
Yeah, but that's Opinels all over. I don't find any difference in this regard between the carbon and stainless blades.

Totally agree. I've been using stainless opis for years and really can't see much difference between carbon and stainless other than when I slice an apple, I get a metallic tang with the carbon blade but not the stainless. :)

Obviously these are not knives designed for abuse. They have wickedly thin edges and thin blades. I have found that they hold up well for carving wood. A greater convex to the edge, or adding a significant secondary bevel will make the edge a bit more robust.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've only come across a stainless opi once. When I do sharpening demos at shows I keep an old No10 carbon opi in my box as a sacrificial example, it gets sharpened and resharpened, but rarely actually used these days. I was brought a No10 stainless version at a show recently and it felt alot softer on the stone. I've no idea how it was in use, but I couldn't get teh same edge on it as I could on mine.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
I really like opi's (I've got several, both carbon and stainless).
As others have stated, I don't find a great difference between the two in terms of performance. However, you have to remember that they aren't 4mm thick prybars, and treat them accordingly. My personal preference is for carbon steel versions - I prefer the characteristics of the edge and sharpening. I use mine all the time around water while canoeing and just accept that I'll have to look after them.

I tend to sharpen mine with quite a significant secondary bevel (the convex is so slight that it may as well be flat ground anyway) - this seems to give the edge / tip a bit more strength.

For the cost I'd just buy one (carbon or stainless) and give it a go - they're a great performing knife, for very little money.

best
Matt

davek

Dec 3, 2004
usa
FINALLY someone addressing the fact that Opi's aren't that great a steel. They aren't a bad steel though, and if you look at the steel on any knife in the price range of an Opi it will be even worse usually. I carry one at work and steel it on a piece of carbide every few uses and it holds up well. I love to customize them and give them as gifts. Kissing Crane makes some good knives in the same price range (brown mule, coal miner, etc.), but they don't lock.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
davek said:
FINALLY someone addressing the fact that Opi's aren't that great a steel.

Well, I'm not entirely sure I'd agree with that... They're just a long way towards the "razor blade" end of the scale, rather than the "cold chisel" end.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I agree with Dave, Opinel steel isn't anything special. But then again, neither are any of the other knives in that small pocket category. SAK's, Schrade folders, smaller Leatherman's, etc etc....

I just started a thread along those lines "Seriously, don't anyone read this" and I got some really helpful replies.

Yeah, there's better, nicer knives out there but not in that price range and hey, we could all do a lot worse!

Adam

davek

Dec 3, 2004
usa
Your Brown Mules in carbon steel feel a lot harder to a file than an Opi and seem to hold a good edge. I see them for 9-10 bucks. They don't lock though. I'm not detracting an Opinel, that's for sure. I love them and have a few. They will quickly get a very sharp edge and hold it reasonably well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE