opinel knife not legal in uk?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
There is no such clause on the railways. Knives are forbidden, full stop.
Doesn't sound right to me.
I've been searched at a train station - had a 4" locking blade in my bag. No problem.

A friend travelling back from a reenactment fair had a polearm (not sharp but quite pointy) several axes and a sword - the police asked him what it was about, he explained, they let him carry on. Two of the items had 'functional' cutting edges.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Thats because he is wrong see dasys post, way too many workmen, scouts, campers, soldiers etc. Travel on trains with kit for such a rule, its more a we reserve the right to let you travel if we think your up^ to no good. Its the same as the booze ban on the tube.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
In the UK, in addition to the laws created by parliament there are also regulations which for example the railway operators can set.

You are not allowed to carry a knife on railway property at all. It does not matter how long is its cutting edge, nor whether or not it locks.

Sometimes the British Transport Police will ask people to walk through metal detectors which are occasionally installed at railway stations - usually for only a few hours.

[citation needed]

I think you'll find you are not correct on this one. For starters, Eurostar in their luggage rules explicitly state that a knife upto 3" long, that doesn't lock can be carried. I've done it for years. I also carry my Svord Peasant Mini with me everywhere, even using it on trains when I want to cut food or some such. Not been arrested for it yet.

You would be foolish to carry a knife of any description if you were spending Saturday night on a pub crawl in town, and you would probably be arrested if the police found you to be doing that.

Commons sense will usually prevail, but it doesn't always do so.

You say that, I've carried my knife to many a pub without issue. Being drunk an in possession of a knife that doesn't lock and is under 3" long is not a criminal offence. If you whilst drunk use it as a weapon, then yes. But simply having it in your pocket, not an issue.

So to your post I say: [citation needed]

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
As I said, common sense sometimes prevails. But if they're having another crackdown, all bets are off.

A few years ago East Midlands Trains dumped my wife and twenty other passengers in Leicester at 2AM with no alternative transport.
The taxi firms variously told her there was nothing available or a four hour queue. She got me out of bed to drive 60 miles to fetch her.
We got no response to requests for compensation from East Midlands Trains.
So I refuse use trains any more, but if I did (like if I lost both legs and all my friends) then I'd make other arrangements for sharps, such as borrowing something when I got there.

Alas for many of us that is not an option. I don't own a car, and have no chance of being able to afford one any time soon. So have to rely on a combination of Brompton and train. The situation above is actually an indication that you didn't do things properly. The train company is required by law to provide your wife a taxi home or suitable accommodation. It's covered in the conditions of carriage. If the railway company failed, you should have taken it to the regulator.

Ultimately it's your choice not to use the trains. But for many we have no option. It's use a train, or don't travel.

I have carried shields, spears, bows, arrows, knives, tools, drills, bikes, dive gear, on a train with no issue. The only time I have had any issue was with a replacement bus being unhappy about my bikes.

J

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
For years I carried a Leatheman or the likes on a belt pouch. Occasionally forgot to remove others before heading to town to meet with friends for a drink. Was okay in the village pub but really stupid in the likes of Glasgow city centre. Leave it at home if you can. I have been in a line to get into a nightclub (later drinking) and realised I had others on me. Quietly attracted the doormans attention and explain the situation and they were happy to keep it safe for me at the door until it was time to go home. As even common sense and courtesy can win the day.
On the train front, a falconer mate of mine used to often travel on the trains with one of his birds (hooded) on his arm. Said no matter how busy it was he always got a table to himself. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I was boarding the Eurostar last year and had my Fallkniven U2 and an opinel no.8 ground to 75mm with lock ring in my rucksack. I was stopped after the X-ray and 2 funny things happened. The guard said the U2 was illegal and he was gonna impound it. I said it was legal to section 139 and no way was he taking a £140 penknife off me (can't believe I blurted out that part but I was upset at loosing the knife) and he conferred with a colleague and agreed. With the Opinel which I had forgotten still had the lock ring, I claimed stupidity and they let me proceed after binning the ring!

I think they applied common sense as I was dressed in hiking gear with the full camping kit in a pack? If I was just a normal passenger I would have at least lost the Opinel?

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Nobody told me motor scooters were banned, when I took my broken down scooter back from Craven Arms to Coventry, changing at Wolverhampton and an Birmingham New street on the way. Mind you that was back in the Golden age when British Rail was still a thing.

Dec 4, 2015
Scotland
Hi, I have an opinel No 6
I am still trying to figure out if it is illegal or not.
Looking at the following website "www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives" it states:-

"Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:
have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button
can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener"

As there is no button only a ring I would think that this knife is not illegal to carry as an EDC.

We all know the safety reason to require a knife to not close easily.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I dropped my opinal in a shop the manager said he had handed it into the police, I promptly went round and got it back, they asked me why I carry it and i told them I use it to cut my apples when im out and about and I also forage edible plants and fungi, got my knife back a No.8.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I have a few penknives and always carry one everywhere.
All my other knives, be they folders or fixed, I consider fixed blades in relation to the law. If I believe I have good reason to carry one then its fine and if I must be tested in court then so be it as when I set out I believed I did have good reason.

I carry whatever reflects my dress for the day and what work I expect to be doing that day. Following day when traveling then its in a bag, or in car (another public space). Because I'm traveling and will be using them at some point in the near future. Nearly everywhere is a public space. I don't take a "fixed knife" if I don't think I will need one.

Every time I eat anywhere they provide a fixed blade, a fork and spoon. I have the knowledge but not inclination to use any as a weapon. I abhor violence, one reason I served in the military, to protect others. Suggesting anything else I would find insulting.

Its your call every day. Ensure you have good reason.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Nobody told me motor scooters were banned, when I took my broken down scooter back from Craven Arms to Coventry, changing at Wolverhampton and an Birmingham New street on the way. Mind you that was back in the Golden age when British Rail was still a thing.

....only time I've been refused travel on the train was when I was bringing back a little generator on a trolley back to Coventry...was told that the generator posed an explosion risk! Had to cover it up, disguise it and catch the bus!

Agree with Muskett, knife carrying is all about common sense...I carry a SAK every day, I use it everyday at home and at work...it's a tool that I use and can justify...I've just picked up a lovely parang from this very forum, I'd struggle to justify carrying that around every day and it wouldn't perform all the tasks I need a knife for...but for specific tasks, when I'm out coppicing and clearing I'd have no problem justifying its use.

Last edited:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
It's basically a tool! Like a chisel or a full set of butchers knives in a roll. You can't carry it just to have in your pocket but you can have it as said before with reasonable excuse. It's one of the few times in law that you basically are required to say something ie. offer a reasonable ecuse.

On a side note, try taking some Danish Scouts to the Scottish Parliament for a visit only to discover at the security point that they ALL have knives as an every day carry/part of their uniform!!!!! Easy answer was keep speaking in Danish!!!!!!!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
On a side note, try taking some Danish Scouts to the Scottish Parliament for a visit only to discover at the security point that they ALL have knives as an every day carry/part of their uniform!!!!! Easy answer was keep speaking in Danish!!!!!!!

Funny side note 👍😂

Dec 19, 2016
Denmark
Maybe the scouts shouldn't be wearing the knifes around town, we usually didn't :)
Men smart at snakke dansk, så de ikk forstår en lyd ;)

Sendt fra min HTC One A9s med Tapatalk

firedfromthecircus

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2014
there
If people are getting stopped and searched by the Police regularly then perhaps they need to have a look at their general conduct and where and when they go about their business.
I have never been searched by the Police. Even when stopped a few times in cars late at night as a youth I was never searched.
The law is to stop ne'erdowells from doing ill. It is not to stop ordinary people going about their normal daily lives, so if you have a reason to carry a fixed blade or locking knife then carry one. You are very unlikely to be searched, and if you are, state your reason for carrying. I only carry a locking or fixed blade knife when I have a use for one. The rest of the time I get by with my tiny keyring knife. But if I was threatening to stab people in a nightclub even that tiny knife would be enough to get me in trouble.
It's really not a big deal for normal folk.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
An Opinel No8 is illegal to carry on two counts, the blade is longer than 3" and it is a locking Knife, and despite having a good reason to carry it, there are however too many places you are not allowed to carry a knife at all, eg.Schools,etc, whenever you carry any knife whether its legal to do so or not, it will depend on where you are, what you are doing, and your attitude, and most of all the attitude of the person who has stopped you, unless you are doing something really stupid the chance of being searched and stopped is minimal, but my advice is, never carry an illegal knife unless it is absolutely necessary and you can back it up 100%, the Judiciary are against anyone carrying a knife and will prosecute whenever they can..........think of it as having a drink and then driving, its chancy, but if they think you are in the wrong, they will throw the book at you

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
An Opinel No8 is illegal to carry on two counts, the blade is longer than 3" and it is a locking Knife, and despite having a good reason to carry it, there are however too many places you are not allowed to carry a knife at all, eg.Schools,etc, whenever you carry any knife whether its legal to do so or not, it will depend on where you are, what you are doing, and your attitude, and most of all the attitude of the person who has stopped you, unless you are doing something really stupid the chance of being searched and stopped is minimal, but my advice is, never carry an illegal knife unless it is absolutely necessary and you can back it up 100%, the Judiciary are against anyone carrying a knife and will prosecute whenever they can..........think of it as having a drink and then driving, its chancy, but if they think you are in the wrong, they will throw the book at you
Beg your pardon, but your post is twaddle.

No opinel is 'illegal'.

You are not allowed to carry them in certain places without reason.

There is a vast difference.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Beg your pardon, but your post is twaddle.

No opinel is 'illegal'.

You are not allowed to carry them in certain places without reason.

There is a vast difference.

Yep....utter rubbish. Two words. reasonable excuse.

An "illegal" knife in the UK is a weapon designed to be concealed and designed for an arguably sinister use. gravity knives, push daggers, sword canes etc

If your a decent member of society using or carrying a bladed article for the purposes intended (fishing, bushcraft, camping etcetera) don't worry your wee head.

But to answer the question asked. No, as an every day carry item on your belt without reason you cannot carry your locking opinel I'm afraid. Keep it for when it's going to be used and I advise keeping it in a backpack until you reach your destination.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I am moving from spain to the uk. Here I carry a opinel #8 in my pocket whereever I go....
It looks like in the UK this is not possible as it has a ring to look the blade.....
Is this correct? Is police really checking your pocket knives?

My answer was to the original question, "the OP wants to know can he carry an Opinel No.8 wherever he goes like he does in Spain,, and the straight forward answer is no he cannot, we know that you can carry a knife if you have good reason, but all knives are illegal to carry in certain places, and even your car is classed as a public place, so even being stopped in your car, and having a knife on show or found in a search could get you into trouble, It is not illegal to own a knife (unless the knife is one that is banned) but in most cases unless you have a 100% good reason, then it is not advisable to carry a knife.

Now referring to twaddle, the OP is asking is an Opinel 8 an EDC in the UK, and twaddle or not, an Opinel 8 is not an EDC in the UK, it is obvious to me, that the OP is asking can he walk about all day with an Opinel 8 in his pocket, and obviously if he carries this knife wherever he goes, then he could end up in serious trouble, and carrying it everyday wherever he goes he is unlikely to be carrying it with a good reason.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE