Opinel,anyone seen this yet,?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
Im a big fan of opinels , what do you think of this newer concept,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueKuod_Bbyc&feature=player_embedded

opinel%20No8%20outdoor%20collection.gif

[/quote]

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I like the concept but I don't think I will rush to buy one,might be popular with canoe campers
Now if they made one that had a saw blade and a knife blade; that I would buy

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
I like the concept but I don't think I will rush to buy one,might be popular with canoe campers
Now if they made one that had a saw blade and a knife blade; that I would buy

I think i would add it to my opinel collection but cant see it getting a lot of use, as you say a good watersports type knife , if they do a #4-5 i might throw one um my backpack as a backup .

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Yes indeed, cashing in on the Bear Grylls craze. Shame those colours have become so linked to that Gerber line, but heck - the more people who get into Opinels, the better. They're great knives.
The wooden ones at least - can't speak for these new fangled things.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
It actually looks like a better climbers knife than anything else on the market. I might get one, wouldn't use it for any other purpose though.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
to survive in any market nowadays you have to be innovative those who do not look for alternatives in any business won't survive if you live in the past that is where you will stay i like it regards dave

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Seems to me to have some good design features:
  • colours - makes it easier to find when put down (and I am always looking for stuff I have put down) - but can't see the point of the light grey
  • serrated blade - to make blade more versatile re type of stuff to cut
  • whistle - takes up no space and (?)doesn't have any disadvantages - presumably you wouldn't be using an opinel with a hammer anyway
(?) can't see the hole in the blade getting much use but (?) no disadvantage to having it(?)

So seems to me to be more advantages than disadvantages. And will probably broaden the appeal to a wider audience - depending on price - anyone know how they compare with standard Opinels?

I tried an internet search to find prices but couldn't find any, although I did find some coloured-hornbeam-handled stainless steel Opinels so may be this new version is more of a natural development than a radical change - and those were about same price as a 'normal' Opinel

Last edited:

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
The long pointed, locking blade could be a legal problem in the UK (but there is already a sticky thread that fully details all that).

While I admire the sharpness, ease of sharpening and value of the cheaper wooden handle Opinels, I am not a fan. My brother had one. It was too easy to to cut yourself with the darn thing, especially when locking & unlocking the simple yet rather hokey, sticky ring lock. Also the blade would rust a little too easily - a problem for all/most/many nice carbon steel blades I suppose? I didn't like the the look or feel of the wooden handle either (clear polyurethane finish?), an oiled finish might look and feel better. Also, without a guard, there was was always the fear that the knife might fall into/through your clasped hand, slicing through with that super-sharp blade. Owch.

Serrated edges on knifes don't look good to me but I have several different knives with a similar feature and it is quite a practical feature for bushcraft/survival, where you may need to improvise a saw. Also handy for cutting thick rope fast (climbing/diving) - it doesn't depend so much on the blade being sharp. I have two Chinese knives like that, one is very small, which I in my rucksack/on my harness when climbing, after reading Touching the Void by Sheffield mountaineer Joe Simpson. They are sharp, stainless steel but at $2 (yes $ not £) with all plastic handles, I could afford to lose them).

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I think the hole there for one hand opening.

I just checked the arty farty video again and it only shows the hole as being used to turn a nut.

If the new design is 'one-handed opening' then I'd say that is a good design feature, and if they haven't included it then they should have done (and shown it in the video)

Thanks for raising that point

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
to survive in any market nowadays you have to be innovative those who do not look for alternatives in any business won't survive if you live in the past that is where you will stay i like it regards dave

I agree with this. If opinel went down the pan because they didn't move with the times there'd be moaning of other sorts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE