Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
The hot tents are down to the individual or people staying in them as to whether to run all night, to do that on your own you would need to wake to refuel every so often, I think we're talking about letting the stove burn out so your sleep system / sleeping cloths will have to be up to it, hope I'm right with all that

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Yep. That is correct.

Also dont forget the wood may be frozed and not useable as Pete had out there before. You really cant count on a stove to keep you warm. Again the wood may not be useable or it could run out or your sove could break your tent could rip or get blown away.

Worst case is about -30 i think. So you need to be kitted out to survive those conditions with out a stove for sure. Maybe even with out a tent if all goes to the brown stuff in the fan. What if we go for a trek and a blizard blows in. You wont have a tent and stove then. You head for the nearest shelter and get in your doss bag and wait it out. Probably no fire and no tent or stove.

Yes chances are it will be fine and all good but the conditions we COULD get need to be catered for. After all you would never go to sea with out a life vest and flares ect. Same thing.

The conditions will be harsh and the reality is we need to look after each other and our selves. Never be afraid to ask for help as a mistake could cost fingers or toes in that sort of cold. Thats why you need the correct kit that you can count on with out a stove of fire.

Im not trying to scare people and would like more people to do this sort of thing. But. Reality check. Prepare for the worst guys. Loads of people here with exsperiance to ask go soak up that knowledge.

Right. Now i have scared you all to death...😂😂😂😂😂

Ok for a heads up on sleeping bags. I have been looking at the Rab exspedition 1200 or 1400. Its down with a pertex outer and hydrophobic down and has 9 or 10 inches of loft. Just what im looking at for now. I want some thing from the uk to avoid more customes charges..😠😠😠😠😠 also looked at mountain hardwear ghost sleeping bag but cant find a uk supply. Both rated to -40c. The down side is they cost around £800. Wating to hear from alpkit about there equivilent for £400 but not sure on sizeing.

Good luck all and talk soon....🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

Party on....😆😆😆

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
As Chris says..

This is my sleeping bag. And THIS is my 'bivvy' bag

Dont worry Dewi, we'll be looking out for you. Maybe you should post up a kit list of what you still need? What have you got for your feet? Dont bother with a cot bed.

Some great bag choices there Chris. :)

I was thinking as we are being dropped off at a free campsite by the minibus in Stora, they will probably sell very cheap fire wood. Or maybe even give it away.

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Yes mate good bag but the price tells me so too....😲😲😲😲😧😲😧😲😧😲😧

But would last for ever if i look after it though.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Just means we'll have to go every year from now on. :)

Nest year, yeti hunting in the Kemerovo region of Russia.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Thats the plan dude....👍👍👍👍👍 Canada next year as i will have all the kit so just need to pay for flights...😉😉😉

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Yep. Sure do. May need another bag though as its more like -50-60 dude...defo would need new gloves...

Skookum

Jan 15, 2015
West Mids
This is my bag, comfort -20, extreme -50C.

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/antarctica-re-2511

My poncho liner, which they claim is good for about a 10 deg C gain...

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/4/ProductID/19/Default.aspx

My Jerven isn't big enough to get into so i'll probably have it under me to reflect heat back up. I'll be using the sleeves to bolster the insulation of my Thermos...

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/965-The-Jervenbag-Original-Mountain-Camo/

Bivvy, if i take it will be this one.

http://borahgear.com/eventbivy.html

If it gets too cold i guess Dave and i will have to sleep in shifts and feed the stove but i think we'll be good :)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Ah ok, thanks for the info :)

Just seen the Swanndri Ranger Wool Bushshirt on Woodlore has 20% off, down to £68 :)

It says they're a generous fit, anyone with one care to comment, I'm a 44" chest 32" waist ?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Ok gents. Just a few pics of some kit i have got over the last month or so if you fancy a nose.

1eb9c1ad208818756de75a95aa91d637.jpg
5464502ce8a05bfcce01fe3d4c0e92cc.jpg
48941110f0aae73d02fc0ac2b40c0385.jpg
4ede92373aba43202e8973e88765c9c7.jpg
b064fa4a11b570cca6c53af68b595ed8.jpg
20f685c919a8c9466df63723afe6dea9.jpg
717998cf81b7889d1228b536234c1fbf.jpg
8f42c5fd262fd052c498d9e871af69eb.jpg
a1fc47798850628c229848359eca1d93.jpg

The last picture is an American company i looked at for mittens. They look awesome but i just cant be doing with the customs hassle. Its such a pain in the bloomin bum.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
And yes before anyone says it. Yes a bear grills knife. BUT it has a good shape handle with rubber grip for the wet a fire steel and sharpener built into it and has been tested on this site to be bomb proof to be fare. All that for £60. Cant moan really...

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Looks good! I read recently hes one of the richest people in the country now, because if the gerber contract.

Ive had a little test of that karesuando knife puukko today, light battoning, stripping bark, feather sticks. That damasteel ab is excellent stuff. It slices green wood finger thick knots with just push cuts, and im glad to say no chips rolling or anything on the edge. Im much reassured by it now.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
That sleeping bag is coming home with me :D

Nice kit mate :) That shop in Gallivare had the Mora 2000 for £20 ish, sharpened mine up to shaving sharp.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Which bag did you get Al, i Forget. Surplus one rated to extreme -50˚ wasnt it?

Was it a carinthia?

[Swanndri ranger shirt nowhere near on a par with the £40 austrian army sweater from endicotts to go under your m90 jacket mate]

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Sounds good dave. Damascum steel is good stuff tough old stuff dont be scared to use it mate. Mora knives are awesome to be fare Al. I have a few of the basic ones i still turn to again and again. May bring one as a back up pack spare.

Cant wait to get on that stove. Get the tent set up in the mountains by the woods give it a dam good thrashing with some pine see how she does...😊😊😊 having said that you dont want to know what it cost with all the customs charges...😲😲😲😲😲😲🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE