Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Should be wind proof. Its the new version of Tyvek i think. We call them silks??? Could even be silk i never used them though so maybe nylon type silk rip off???

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

That's good to know, they don't look like rip offs, the labels look genuine ? think I may have found my smock and trousers then, ( wind layer ) thanks for the info mate :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
As far as the travel situation goes Al, if you could consort with out secret agent [Greger] on the ground, to get a quote from Tomas asap that would be good, as Tinky Pete is waiting for a central lat/long nav point, so he can print us off some maps of the area.

Off out now, check in later.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Nay probs dude do ask another though for comformation as i have not used those ones.

I'll wait for more comments then, thanks.

As far as the travel situation goes Al, if you could consort with out secret agent [Greger] on the ground, to get a quote from Tomas asap that would be good, as Tinky Pete is waiting for a central lat/long nav point, so he can print us off some maps of the area.

Off out now, check in later.

Ok mate, no worries :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
If you give me the locations we are going i will try and get maps for us. Should be able to sort something for us when im back. Get the Scotland location too and i can defo sort that...👍👍👍👍👍👍

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
However, I also asked about ski luggage, and told them I have a 6 foot long toboggan bag, but I wont be taking skis in it, just snowshoes, clothes, equipment etc.

I'm struggling with this, can you link to a bag and or show me a picture of what you have please mate :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hi AL, I will post as soon as.

Ive talked to Greger today, who has assured me that it is unlikley there will be a problem getting a bus from gallivare, to vietas. [or in that region, which the swedish call something else. My understanding is that the bus company run eco tours up there, so we just have to arrange the time, to meet Tomas in Gallivare on the morning of the 24th of January. Greger has given Tomas my phone number, and we can arrange a return visit with him.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Stora Sjofallet is a place with a hydropower plant called Vietas. At that place there is a company (www.storasjofallet.com) that makes a living by hosting tourists....so there is a restaurant etc catering to a wide variety of needs...Hotel, hostel, apartments, camping, store and small petrol station..."in the UNESCO world heritage Laponia" to quote their home page

I haven't given them Dave's phone number as of yet...and I have no info as far as price yet...but I will and when I do, I will post the info forthwith :)

Greger

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Thanks Greger, I hope after all your help you're going to make a couple of days with us, I would imagine there will be a couple of thank you bottles waiting lol, thanks for everything

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ok, thanks to Greger, :notworthy we have a minibus which will take all six of us and our equipment from Gallivare to Vietas, [or Stora Sjofallet] for 333sek, or £30 each.

Ive asked Greger to confirm that the minibus can pick us up from Gallivare train station.

THIS LINK 24th January 2017! is the train booking website. Its self explanatory, and costs £12.65 one way from Kiruna to Gallivare. Only second class tickets available. 24th January 2017.
It sets off at 6:20am, arriving in Gallivare at 7:30am [1hour 10 minutes]

[The next train is much later in the day]

So we all need to book this train asap. I already have done.

Last edited:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
You sure thats the correct date Dave??? Do you not mean the 24th Jan?? And do we not need it return too????

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
FFFFFFF********:censored:
yes sorry folks.

Thanks Chris. Brain fog. Ive changed the link above to the 24th January. I'll PM it to everyone as well, as I think some are at a meet in northwoods.

[Thats 139sek I'll never see again...]

Thank god youre on the ball anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------

On the return journey we can get a bus all the way back, from Jokkmokk to Kiruna airport, we dont have to book it. Theres no train station in Jokkmokk, or Porjus, only in Gallivare.

So we may as well just go to the bus stop in jokkmokk, and get a bus non stop all the way back up to kiruna airport.

I got the bus to the train station, when I was in Jokkmokk, and it was just a normal bus stop.

A Little terminus where you just went in and bought your ticket.

----------------------------------------------------

We'll also have to book the minibus back from Vietas [or Stora Sjofallet] to Porjus. On the 02/02/17. [The minibus should be cheaper on the return journey]
Then just jump on the first bus from Porjus down to Jokkmokk.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I know Chris has booked the train as well. Trains in Sweden get booked up months before hand, and there are a few ski-ing resorts above kiruna, so you need to get it booked like NOW! Or potentially miss out. Its only £12ish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE