Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Eh? Never got an email what constitutes sports equipment under lufthansa rules mate. Because they dont have them. And you will get a differnet answer everytime, and as imsure youve realised by now you will hear brows furrowing, at their end. They dont know either.

I've got a long bag, and Im only taking my long wooden snowshoes. Thats it. So mine Looks like a ski bag.

I expect to put it on the ski bag conveyor, and walk away.......if anything goes wrong i'll deal with it at the time. The xray will show long snowshoes, and poles extended, to give the bag some stability etc...

BUT IT WONT GO WRONG!!!! Unless I began asking dumb questions like, are you sure my snowshoes, [which i'll call skishoes] are allowed!!!! and looking nervous.

Just keep shtum mate :) Throw it on and say these are my ski shoes thanks. Ive called them twice and both times they have said it ok.

I'll go first I think, well away from you. :D:D:D Then watch froma distance, and if you seem to be getting asked questions ill steam and help.

But stop worrying, it should go smoothly.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ah ok mate, I'll follow your lead oh leader of men without a clue

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hahahahha yep.. thankyou.....you nailed me....lol.....no leaders on this trip, its a meet remember. Chris can take command decisions, as far as Im concerned. :lmao:

Im in no fit state to lead. As Ive made clear from the beginning. Questions wear me out frankly. If dont agree with something i simply wont do it. Screw peer pressure.

If I get tired, I'll say so, as anyone should and go rest a bit.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The big pack for me, is when we get to the hotel. I'll have to repack everything then. To get it on the plane its just a question of cramming everything in wherever you can, which fits their hxlxw X weight. The real packing comes when we get there.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, yeh, ill take point on the lake, no problem. or be 'the probe' as its un-nervingly called, but i believe studies show its the man behind who goes down.....:)

Dotn worry well be fine. Very careful. Seriously. I might set up a 9 foot pole, wit the ice chisel , and use that as a walking stick.

Well do a quick drill at the lakeside.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
IMG_0121_zpsfp0728ll.jpg~original

The airport is about 2.5 miles from the hotel, i have the taxi number in my phone. But i assume there'll be taxis outside.

Last edited:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'd be weary of crossing ice this year. I can't find figures for Sweden but the ice in Finland is only about 70% of the thickness that seemed normal over the previous decade. If you must cross then I'd recommend you measure the thickness at the lakes edge. The measurer will be roped to someone on the shore regardless of how far they walk out. I'd also use accurate navigation and planning to ensure you don't cross the lake and end up at a stream which may have undercut the ice. Have a good study of your maps before you leave, it's a lot easier than trying to plan in a snow storm. And don't use snowmobile tracks as an assurance of ice thickness, snowmobiles have low ground pressure and speed on their side...

It may be worth phoning the local information centre before you leave.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm right with Bob on this one.

I'd be very cautious about the ice. It's been an unusually mild winter and we were warned last time we were in Jokkmokk to stay off the ice because there had been a recent tragedy.

The river there is controlled by a hydro dam so the water can rise and fall a lot under the ice leaving it unsupported.

Get local advice and if in doubt, measure.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks for the reinforcement guys, we will definitely be doing that. Thankfully, we are getting a lift up to the mountain centre, by one of the guides, who actually stays up there, so those chaps should know exactly what the does and dont are.
I'll also be checking with the local tourist office, im presuming they will have taken ice samples, but probably further down the lake, if they have. I'll also be asking about the likelihood of what Greger was saying that there may be water coming out the lakes, leaving a big drop below.
There is what looks like a rather safe route. Ive been crisscrossing rivers hundreds of times, when fly fishing, so have a good idea of the state of the water, [riffle, rapid, run, pool,] underneath. but Yeh, we'll be getting advice fromantwhere we can including local fishing shops, and the guides from the mountain centre. Im not sure if they have a ranger station anywhere? I guess the guys at the mountain centre cover that role?

When we were in muddus national park, the temps were awful on some days, +5 -5 but the ice was rock solid, go figure.

And the ice in Canada, felt downright sketchy, didnt it Bob? We were crossing near large pools of open water, and slush was appearing underfoot on every step, but we trusted Joe and we didnt go wrong.

[Joe was a cool dude, grew up in thunder bay, when calvin rustrum lived there]

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Yep all done bar the repacking (again) and then weighing (again) Andy, I wish it were as simple as that, aim and go, might be a plan for future trips.

Works for me! Arrived at Jokkmokk, booked into a hostel for the first night, asked reception for recommendations for forest camping locations, and set off following morning. Simples:)

To be fair, I do have a reputation for idiocy to uphold. On my first trip to the Nordmark forest north of Oslo in January, I was still making my "pulk" from a £10 ebay sled an hour before leaving for the airport at 6am...

And, of course, my classic dissertation on fat=good in the Arctic....http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116830....

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Got this reply from Jokkmokk Tourist info today

Hello Robert,

It is always best to ask the people who live near the waters you want to go on because they move around there a lot and have knowledge of dangerous parts of the lake/river.

What I know is that most are average thickness and you can go on the lakes here. But since it has been warmer than usual this winter I do not recommend going out on a lake where you are not sure of how it is.

"Jokkmokks jakt och fiske" goes out and measure the thickness so perhaps you could contact them and ask. jaktochfiske@telia.com or call +46971 12200.
Also Matti who runs a dog sled company measures the ice so if "Jokkmokks jakt och fiske" do not answer try him at jokkmokkguiderna@gmail.com or call +4670 6842220.

I hope this helps and feel free to contact me again if you have any other questions!Vänliga hälsningar/Best regards
Cissi

Jokkmokks turistinformation
Stortorget 4
SE-962 31 Jokkmokk
+46 (0)971-222 50info@destinationjokkmokk.se
www.destinationjokkmokk.se

-----Originalmeddelande-----
Från: Bob <>
Datum: 19/01/2017 13:36​

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
It's good to know that most lakes are of average thickness, our guy picking us up is local to where we will be staying, so a bit more detailed knowledge hopefully, thanks for those links and numbers, are you coming along ?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That's a shame :(

Bob prefers to be on the move than base camp. Cheers for doing that Bob, I'll get in touch with them.

[The kings trail, from abisko, ends very near to where we would be. Suorva. Or you could set up a base camp, with us and travel out from there]

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE