Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm favouring a cylinder stove... $285 and an additional $25 for a stove jacket.

Having trouble with the sleeping bag... was going to get the Ray Mears one, but its really rather heavy.

Al, package arrived, much appreciated... going to test it this weekend :D

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Nice one Dewi, pleased it got there ok :) the small stove will be great in the BT-2, as for weight of the sleeping bag, for what you'll save on tipi and stove weight you could go heavier, you'll be lucky if both the stove and tipi weigh 3 kilo lol :D

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Stove is just over 3lbs, so thats about 1 and a half kilos?? I am taking a cot bed though, so thats going to add some weight.

Thankfully the pulk I bought from Martin is awesome... tried it out on grass and it made me giddy :D

Tried looking at Alp Kit, but the website won't load for me :(

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The cot bed is to get me higher up, out of the cold and into the heat from the stove. If I could get away with the weight, I'd be taking something more substantial like the type used by carp fishermen who do overnighters.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Especially when I've got a stove in the middle of it... space is going to be an issue. It'll all come out in the tests, and hopefully we'll have a bit of cold weather here so I can test it properly.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
This is what i got dewi the 1400.

5dfc0a1e6ba1ba7013e3ce5e4349ab36.jpg

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Especially when I've got a stove in the middle of it... space is going to be an issue. It'll all come out in the tests, and hopefully we'll have a bit of cold weather here so I can test it properly.
I never pitched it but thought the stove jack was offset to one side so depending on which way you point the stove in theory you may get a cot bed on the other side of the pole ? Looks like I have a pass out for a week on Saturday, don't know what to do with it yet ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Lanny, looks like what I'm after. They're a fair old weight though! I'm beginning to get nerdy about weight all of a sudden since I weighed out just one days food.

Al, true... and I was also thinking, maybe put up a tarp around the entrance to use as storage and stop the heat pouring from the shelter every time I open it. Lots of testing needed I think to get my setup right before we go.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Lanny, looks like what I'm after. They're a fair old weight though! I'm beginning to get nerdy about weight all of a sudden since I weighed out just one days food.

Al, true... and I was also thinking, maybe put up a tarp around the entrance to use as storage and stop the heat pouring from the shelter every time I open it. Lots of testing needed I think to get my setup right before we go.
Mate you think thats heavy for a comfort rating of -36 have a look at the synthetic bags they are 2.5 kg and over for less of a rateing too.

They pack down quite small looking at the compression sack to. You wont get that with synthetic mate. For me downs a winner. In all my years of doing stuff i have never had a wet sleeping bag so went for down after many years of synthetic bags.

Still lots of money though mate.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Out of interest what food are you thinking of dewi. I have ordered dehydrated 1,000 cal meals which i will bulk up with biscuits bread chocolate dried meats and nuts which i will buy from the shops out there. Depending on space in my bags that is.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Pretty much what I eat every day... fresh meat and veg. I've looked at the prepack foods and the dehydrated foods, but I figure with freezing temperatures, carry meat and veg isn't going to be a problem other than the weight.

Jerky and nuts for snacks on the go, and a carp load of coffee. Debating about the alcohol.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hmmm fair one. The only thing im worried about is food im like a bloody race horse my metabolisum is so quick. I think i will easy burn 5,000 a day not doing much, just every day stuff fire wood and water. Thats it. So we shall see. I hope to have a test run up in the snow in Scotland see hew things work and see how much im eating too.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Food is a good point, I don't know if you clicked on any of the Coop store links I posted to in Kiruna, the prices are reasonable, I'll be taking a mix of gear from the UK and buying a fair bit out there.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Food is a good point, I don't know if you clicked on any of the Coop store links I posted to in Kiruna, the prices are reasonable, I'll be taking a mix of gear from the UK and buying a fair bit out there.
Think i will take (if i can fit it in) enough meals for 3 a day if possible from here. Thats 3,000 calories a day then top up when out there the other 2-3 k of calories. Thats only for the main time when we are out. When we are at the camp site i will just get local and eat out. But thats still like 30 packets of meals...😨😨😨

I think the hand baggage will be full...😂😂😂

Oh while i remember. My snow mobile boots are AWESOME... only had them on for 5 mins and my feet where sweating like megga hot. Waterproof ish and liners. Lots of room. Im glad i got a size up too.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Good that your boots are bang on, anything more on the boggan ? food wise over there, pretty much the same, stock to the max for 10 days and then wing it in Jokkmokk :)

EDIT: the toboggan hit a snag today, I need to get different bolts, I have sourced them and I'll get them tomorrow, the main drilling is done just to countersink the boggan, should be somewhere near, if my rope gets here :(

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Good that your boots are bang on, anything more on the boggan ? food wise over there, pretty much the same, stock to the max for 10 days and then wing it in Jokkmokk :)
Hmmmm. No appart from its winging it way back to the us...😨😨😨😨

He said he could send another straight away so i have it for the test run in December but its the customs idiots that are the problem. In in 2 minds weather to make or buy a pulk instead now...???????

I JUST DONT KNOW...😭😭😭😭

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE