Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Just to snip your post, 4 days either way would be way too much for me, just saying, I know what you mean though, personally I think it'll be the plane for me.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Four people in a car - even a big one - wouldn't work, as the amount of kit each could bring would be limited to about that you could take on a plane. Admittedly, I took too much with me - basically loading in anything I thought I might need, or want to play with, but even so the car - a big 4x4 - was loaded to the gunnels. I folded up two-thirds of the rear seats to get my pulk (Fjellpulken 130) in, for example. I could have put on a 500litre top-box, but didn't want the car to be too top-heavy. And the logistical problems would be bigger too. Some would want a straight-through drive without much stopping, but that way you'd miss the benefits of a road trip - stopping to smell the roses, so to speak. I wanted to stop at the Mora sales outlet, for example, which in turn took me on the inland route to Jokkmokk.

You also need to be realistic about the time you need to drive there. It's 2000 miles plus each way - you ain't going to be doing that in a day and a half! (remember that the last 4-500 miles will be on snow-covered roads) Allow at least 3 days - preferably 4 - to do it with some degree of sanity.

As far as car prep goes, I got the engine oil changed to a low-temp mix, and ditto the coolant. Full service of course, making sure bake pads had at least 5000 miles left in them. Tyres - I had some M&S tyres already on the car, about half-worn. These were only just about adequate (and then only with 4wd -high range operating), and In future I'd replace them with genuine winter tyres. Battery wasn't new, but it only let me down once, and after a 4 hour wait I managed to get a jump start from a passing motorist. This was the first car that passed me! Next time I'll take a big spare in an insulated box, kept warm with the occasional Hot Hands sachet. Ideally it would be a lithium one, but the costs of these are still astronomical.

I disagree about the time to drive... as I said before, more than one driver... plus you get a break on the ferry for a bit. I reckon 2 days tops, which allows for the weather and plenty of loo breaks... but again, two or more drivers needed.

Vehicle wise, you can hire a mini bus that seats up to 16 for about a grand for a fortnight. Add in cross ferries at £80 each way... if the plane tickets are a couple of hundred quid and the extra baggage added onto that... a minibus wouldn't be that expensive... and with 5 people in it, there is a lot of room for kit.

A way to cut down on the driving would be to catch the ferry in Hull and do an overnighter on there to Oslo... cuts the mileage in half and we get to party on the ferry :D

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
In my link on the last page the ferry to Gothenburg from Immingham, the thing with the ferries is the time, it's like a 15 hour sailing ?

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Bear in mind that the Immingham - Gothenburg route still leaves you some 850 miles to go to jokkmokk, then more to your final destination.

As to 2000 miles in 2 days? Including maybe 400 miles on snow-covered roads? Technically possible I suppose if using shift drivers and not stopping other than for fuel and comfort breaks? In a minivan loaded with people and kit? I'd rather stick my hand in a blender - the pain would be less and over sooner:)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I did actually looked at this route before I went last year. From memory, it takes between 27 and 40 hours depending on the date, and you had to buy cabins as well. Worked out a lot more in cash including diesel than the driving route via Dover.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I did actually looked at this route before I went last year. From memory, it takes between 27 and 40 hours depending on the date, and you had to buy cabins as well. Worked out a lot more in cash including diesel than the driving route via Dover.

Yep. my bad, I got the times wrong :( 27 hours, we could drive that lol

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I thought the Norway ferry had restarted again this year, but apparently not :(

There are a few other options... but they all involve an additional costs with the ferries.

There is always....

topgear-hovervan-2-sm.jpg

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I'll wait and see what the ferry is going to be, but at 27 hours, is it going to be worth it, maybe ? without looking at my earlier post I think it's 'only' 10 hours more than the road trip to more or less the same point, we all get there refreshed, and then the push, snow tyres on a minibus, might have fun explaining that to the hire company lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE