Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
😢😢😢😢😢 no work car...😭😭😭😭😭😭

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Will have to see what happens when i get back and weather or not i get a 4x4 in time??? If i do happy days. If not. No chance. Dont think the Astra would work very well. If i do drive probley take 3 days. Depends how i feel really. All ifs buts and maybe atm...😕😕😕

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Roads will be snowy, and in places icy. 4wd is nice, but not essential. Proper winter tyres is essential (required by law in Sweden, but a UK registered vehicle *may* be able to get away with not having them). The ideal is studded tyres (such as the excellent but somewhat pricy https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-hakkapeliitta-8/ ), but modern "friction" (non-studded) winter tyres will work too.

As to route choices I suspect that staying on the E4 as long as reasonable will actually be faster than a more inland route shown on the map. but going further inland (e.g. E45 up to Arjeplog, and then making your way NE) would be a real treat for those who have not seen the Swedish inland much. But almost certainly much slower. if you go by way of Arjeplog make sure to stop in the Silver museum (http://silvermuseet.se/). And potentially more moose/reindeer on the road.

Hi - a quick question on studded tyres. Can you use them on tarmac roads as well? The reason I ask is that on my last road trip to Jokkmokk from the UK, most of the journey (about 2600 miles) was on tarmac roads clear of snow. Not much point having studded tyres if they get ground down before you get to the snow! I was planning to get un-studded winter tyres for my next trip, but if studded tyres can make the trip intact, I might change my mind!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Tbh not sure. Simple answer is its not good for them. The studs will wear more i would think, thats if you dont lose them speeding down the motorway.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
My thoughts, for what it's worth, on the UK - Jokkmokk road trip, based on my experiences last November on this run. Do it! Yes, it's more expensive than flights/train/buses, but you get to take a lot more stuff, and if you can sleep in the car and cook your own food by the roadside as I did, you can save a fair bit. En route, you can shower in the motorway services in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Denmark. And the inland route in Sweden is amazing!

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
hmm...just so you know - almost everybody use 2WD cars up here (a 4X4 might come in handy, tho). I would go for a car with a Eberspracher heater instead of a 4x4 (starting the car below -20C can be challenging (I have a very old Volvo, which can account for my preference)).

Being of the old school, I use studded tires but friction tires will do fine. I think that studded tires are slightly better on icy roads (when trying to stop), but for normal driving they are roughly equal.

The Greger School of Winter Driving in Sweden: Drive a bit slower, keep longer distance to cars ahead. Keep to the right side of the road. Nobody gets to drink beer in the back seat. Well, that's it really...nothing to it :)

Greger

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Thanks Greger. I have done a bit of winter driveing in Norway with studded tyres. Many years ago though.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You do know it's going to put 4 to 5 days onto the trip for travel time, don't you ;)

I heard road trip and came running in! :D

It won't add anything like that unless you only have one driver... and as far as it costing more than flying, not if you get a car full. You just need the right vehicle.

In the past I've hired a vehicle... depending on the number of people in vehicle and the number of drivers, it can be cheaper and arguably almost as fast as the other methods of transport. Not to mention a damn sight more interesting than sitting in airports and aeroplanes... plus there is no baggage charge with a vehicle... so again, depending on the vehicle, you can take pretty much what you like.

Add up the costs of the plane individually, the extra baggage charges, the bus trip... not to mention the hassles of moving around your luggage whilst trying to buy food in Sweden... I bet if there is more than 4 people in the vehicle, and more than 3 drivers, it would be more cost effective to hire a vehicle, load it up and drive on over.

I'd be up for it.... well, as long as all aboard have strong bladders... hate having to stop off at every other services for those with the weaker bladder.

Vehicle wise, given the weight onboard and presuming plus 4 or more, what about a mini bus?

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Having been watching this planning thread progress i have to chuckle ......when we were planning our winter trip every item that has come up we covered...boots..layers...food..fights...tentage....stoves...fights...or drive.......same questions same problems...fantastic..

Have fun lads .....looking forward to the photos

Twodogs

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I think if we are talking about driving, and it looks like we are talking about it, we should go as a group, sounds like the U.K. side is up for it, with the exception of TinkyPete who hasn't commented yet, I can't, simple reason is time, multi drivers and more or less non stop, it's still going to take a day and a half each way, but then where is the fun in that ? Just saying :) I'll have a look at travel and time I can get off.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Right, see if this works, no idea on costings yet but here are a few alternatives to flying ?

Ferry from Immingham to Gothenburg long time on the ferry, it's freight with the option to take some passengers LINK

Drive, Dover to Copenhagen 12 hours 40 minutes, 722 miles LINK

Then Copenhagen to Porjus 18 hours 45 minutes, 1076 miles LINK

Train / Sleeper train, I haven't looked at it closely but another possible LINK

All in all, it's a lot of travel by any other means than flying ?

Cliff, you say on your trip you talked about road travel, what did you guys find ?

A snippet from the train link

London to Northern Sweden & Narvik...

First travel to Gothenburg or Stockholm as shown above. Overnight sleeper trains run from Stockholm and Gothenburg to Northern Sweden, including Boden, Luleå, Kiruna and Narvik in Norway. These trains are run by www.sj.se, who took over from previous franchisee www.connex.se in 2008. The trains have 1 & 2 berth sleepers, some with private toilet and shower, 6-berth couchettes, ordinary seats, bar and even cinema. Daytime trains from Gothenburg and Stockholm to most cities in Sweden are also run by national train operator SJ, see www.sj.se for times and fares. If you have any problems booking with SJ.se, try agency site www.acprail.com instead.

Last edited:

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Its as Andy said more expensive but good fun ...four people and kit means a big car and extra time and maybe extra costs ..

I have drove back from Sweden and Norway with cars I have brought over there ,,,its a long tiring drive to be honest .

It down to you really , worth it if you have the time but minis 20 means winter tyres , silicon brake fluid and big battery .....

Twodogs

Twodogs

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have seen the stuff on driving and it has advantages and disadvantages.

I know from seeing Andy's vehicle when he returned that getting more kit in is good. But for the hassle of the driving and possible breakdown and what will happen needs to be looked at as well.

Flying/trains/buses means less kit due to weight and size restrictions but then a lot easiler to catch later train or bus but higher degree of getting to journeys end.

I am easy to go either way but as Cliff has said everything needs to planned and thought through.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Thanks for the input guys, I'm still leaning towards the flying with parcels2go for a couple of bits, still, as ever, lets thrash it out, we'll get a game plan eventually, maybe :D

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Four people in a car - even a big one - wouldn't work, as the amount of kit each could bring would be limited to about that you could take on a plane. Admittedly, I took too much with me - basically loading in anything I thought I might need, or want to play with, but even so the car - a big 4x4 - was loaded to the gunnels. I folded up two-thirds of the rear seats to get my pulk (Fjellpulken 130) in, for example. I could have put on a 500litre top-box, but didn't want the car to be too top-heavy. And the logistical problems would be bigger too. Some would want a straight-through drive without much stopping, but that way you'd miss the benefits of a road trip - stopping to smell the roses, so to speak. I wanted to stop at the Mora sales outlet, for example, which in turn took me on the inland route to Jokkmokk.

You also need to be realistic about the time you need to drive there. It's 2000 miles plus each way - you ain't going to be doing that in a day and a half! (remember that the last 4-500 miles will be on snow-covered roads) Allow at least 3 days - preferably 4 - to do it with some degree of sanity.

As far as car prep goes, I got the engine oil changed to a low-temp mix, and ditto the coolant. Full service of course, making sure bake pads had at least 5000 miles left in them. Tyres - I had some M&S tyres already on the car, about half-worn. These were only just about adequate (and then only with 4wd -high range operating), and In future I'd replace them with genuine winter tyres. Battery wasn't new, but it only let me down once, and after a 4 hour wait I managed to get a jump start from a passing motorist. This was the first car that passed me! Next time I'll take a big spare in an insulated box, kept warm with the occasional Hot Hands sachet. Ideally it would be a lithium one, but the costs of these are still astronomical.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE