One Pan food

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Here it is, my wee bro sourced it. The things he has learnt now he has been made redundant.

Chewy flapjacks are amongst the most popular on this site for their great texture and taste. Below is a list of the ingredients and preparation instructions for creating a great chewy flapjack.

The basic ingredients

Brown Sugar, 80g
Butter 60g
Margarine 40g
Oats 250g
Salt Pinch
Banana One
Golden Syrup 2 tablespoons

1. Over a low heat melt the butter and the Margarine in a deep saucepan
2. add the sugar and 2 tablespoons of golden syrup and stir well
3. Mix in the oats. You may find it easier add them in gradually stirring and covering the oats with the paste
4. add a pinch of salt and continue to stir
5. Mash up the banana and stir in. This may take a bit of time to make sure the banana completely covers the mixture
6. spread the mixture evenly over a non stick baking tray. Smooth over with a knife making sure the mixture is even
7. Place the baking tray onto the middle shelf in a preheated oven (gas mark 5, 220 C) and bake for 15 minutes, checking the progress regularly. Take out when the mixture starts turning a golden brown.
8. Stand for a minute or two, then score the mixture with a knife into you portions
9. Cover the tray with something light such as a few pieces of kitchen roll and leave for a couple of hours

Preparation Time: 15 Mins
Cooking Time: 15 Mins

Tip: If you are not to keen on bananas then to create a chewy flapjack simply add more butter. You can add stuff such as finely choped coconuts (dessicated) or cherries.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi All,

I know that they've been done to death but Dutch ovens make the best one potters around. There's a good site here http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-recipes.htm that has some good 'uns. :)

Roast, bake, stew, fry, oh they do it all. Must say that an old fave is to soften some onions in a little oil with a little sugar, garlic and a bay leaf, then brown off some chicken thighs and wing ( cheap / cheep too :eek: ) then pop in some tomatoes ( can be tinned ) and some tomatoe puree. Add some Italian type herbs and some soaked pulses. Searve with some warm freshly baked bread - or pasta / rice / cous cous / tatties. Heaven. The dark chicken meat has more flavour, especially when on the bone like that.

Another slightly quicker one my old mucker Belzeebob's is to use one of those Knorr chicken ( or veg ones if your veggie ) "Stockpots" they're about the size of a "Spork" spoon bowl ( oh God - I've invented a new unit of measurement for the BBUK folks lol ). Pop in the pan with 500ml of water, add some noodles, ( + chicken / meat if you want ) with some sugar snap peas and some civvies ( spring onions ). Makes a passable beautifuly oily cheat Chineese soup.

Serve with some bush-buddies - or on your todd and enjoy.

Will post more later.

TTFN
Colin.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I just love chicken livers done with panchetta, onions, muchrooms, paprika, mustard and creme fresche, eaten from the pan with flatbread.

For a vegi option you could just use button mushrooms and shallots, leaving out the panchetta. Actually, that sounds nice too. Might have to try it.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
My one pan breakfast goes like this,
2" of saucision sec/chorizo, chopped roughly,
snap pot/small tin of beans
Mini Babybel.

dry fry the meat (oil will be released) until browned,
add beans and heat, add chopped up babybel

eat with flatbread

I created this one at the moot one year when I discovered my sausages had gone off.
I've done it a few times since, it's nice and filling, and sets you up for a day of exertion.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
My one pan breakfast goes like this,
2" of saucision sec/chorizo, chopped roughly,
snap pot/small tin of beans
Mini Babybel.

dry fry the meat (oil will be released) until browned,
add beans and heat, add chopped up babybel

eat with flatbread

I created this one at the moot one year when I discovered my sausages had gone off.
I've done it a few times since, it's nice and filling, and sets you up for a day of exertion.

that sounds ruddy good!!!

i use a simple method.
cut some onion and garlic into the pot, add some olive oil and let it boil to an allmost fry (we call it "refogado") till the onion is nice and yellow.
Add anything. Meat, fish, veggies, seasoning, whatever you're packing.
Let it fry a bit.
Add rice/noodles/pasta/etc, little fry again.
Add water, let it boil.

The rice or whatever cooks in the meat/fish sauce and it's quite tasty.
The frying of the rice prevents it from glueing to the bottom.

All variants are from seasoning, types of meat/fish and more or less veggies, but the process is allways the same.

Rice goes well with beans, you can add a can near to the end of the cooking for a more sturdy meal.

Tomatos, mushrooms and the sort shed a lot of fluid, so just add them before you add the water and there's nothing left to fry.

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
2434888506_09ef8d4373.jpg

mmmmmmmmm scouse!

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
my favourite one pot dish is "shot in a pot" basically you put anything in it from
veg
meat
sauces
anything real then leave it for an our to cook it be fine

wish i could make some at home but dont have a big stew pan cos normally use someone else' dutch oven till i get my own at christmas

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
i use a simple method.
cut some onion and garlic into the pot, add some olive oil and let it boil to an allmost fry (we call it "refogado") till the onion is nice and yellow.
Add anything. Meat, fish, veggies, seasoning, whatever you're packing.
Let it fry a bit.
Add rice/noodles/pasta/etc, little fry again.
Add water, let it boil.

The rice or whatever cooks in the meat/fish sauce and it's quite tasty.
The frying of the rice prevents it from glueing to the bottom.

All variants are from seasoning, types of meat/fish and more or less veggies, but the process is allways the same.

Rice goes well with beans, you can add a can near to the end of the cooking for a more sturdy meal.

Tomatos, mushrooms and the sort shed a lot of fluid, so just add them before you add the water and there's nothing left to fry.

Must try this sometime, ta.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE