One Knife and 6 Months In The Wild - What is your choice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sorry never even seen one in the flesh just a one knife to rule them all joke, and if you've seen the film (the hunted?) You'll see why it's so "powerful" lol

I'd have one though just for fun

Fair enough - I honestly didn't know if you were being serious or sarcastic. Difficult to tell on Text.

I too however would try a WSK design.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Sorry never even seen one in the flesh just a one knife to rule them all joke, and if you've seen the film (the hunted?) You'll see why it's so "powerful" lol

I'd have one though just for fun
Thank the knife gods you were joking ;).

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Although it is probably the ugliest knife ever made, i would select the Wilkinson Sword Survival Knife, a very useful tool indeed, especially with the survival tube, in the handle and the wire hidden in the sheath.
There are advantages in a knife like this, very hard to lose it, because if you did drop it, you would probably break your toes, or trip over it, if you broke your leg you could use it as a crutch.
But if you had to spend 6 months in the wild, this knife would do everything you needed to do, from chopping down trees, to building substantial shelters, the size and shape of the blade makes it as good as a shovel, it's thick enough to use as a lever to prise rocks apart, etc.
It is one of the Ultimate Survival Knives, which is the purpose it was designed for. and it has a bottle opener to open your beer .
View attachment 59800
Now I have never handled one of those, but do remember them from when I was younger, always thought it looked better than the rambo knives :)

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The rumour is that Ray Mears designed it to look better than the Rambo Knives, and to bring back a bit of credibility to survival knives, they are a super knife once you get to know them, heavy, yes, awkward to hold not really.
But it is a survival knife, here is another one, this time by Alan Wood, again dating back to the 80's, no survival kit as such, but that could easily be remedied,
20200202_143403.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Although it is probably the ugliest knife ever made, i would select the Wilkinson Sword Survival Knife, a very useful tool indeed, especially with the survival tube, in the handle and the wire hidden in the sheath.
There are advantages in a knife like this, very hard to lose it, because if you did drop it, you would probably break your toes, or trip over it, if you broke your leg you could use it as a crutch.
But if you had to spend 6 months in the wild, this knife would do everything you needed to do, from chopping down trees, to building substantial shelters, the size and shape of the blade makes it as good as a shovel, it's thick enough to use as a lever to prise rocks apart, etc.
It is one of the Ultimate Survival Knives, which is the purpose it was designed for. and it has a bottle opener to open your beer .
View attachment 59800
I probably wouldn’t choose this knife but I like your logic. LOL

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Excuse my bias... :)

Serrata, mine or Spyderco's...
Nice choice, I have always wanted to try a true serrata, I made one about 20 years ago before I even heard of a serrata, and still have it

7f9377d7347d58f924360ff09a5a6a6e.jpg
da6e3c6291093805681f4763099d76e4.jpg
53d6e2e47a4269d5db62117d803dca97.jpg

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I reckon that I would take the custom job that Ben Orford made for me. I'm afraid I haven't got a picture of it yet but, if you can imagine the love child of aSkookum Bust Tool and one of Ben's Woodlander knives, you'll have an idea of what it looks like. Why would I choose it? Well, because it has all the features and qualities that I think are important, it's made of RWL34 for corrosion resistance and I'm used to using it. The last I reckon is important when dealing with the initial shock of being plunged into a survival situation.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I reckon that I would take the custom job that Ben Orford made for me. I'm afraid I haven't got a picture of it yet but, if you can imagine the love child of aSkookum Bust Tool and one of Ben's Woodlander knives, you'll have an idea of what it looks like. Why would I choose it? Well, because it has all the features and qualities that I think are important, it's made of RWL34 for corrosion resistance and I'm used to using it. The last I reckon is important when dealing with the initial shock of being plunged into a survival situation.
A picture when you are able would be brilliant, I like the sound of that..

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
No you were correct when you said The Tom brown tracker. This is because not only can you throw this knife without it spinning but when it hits a tree, the blade will pierce all the way through the trunk and come out through the other side. But not only that, it will leave a huge hole that is much bigger than that of the actual blade. In fact, I bet if you threw it sideways you could fell a tree by throwing the Tom brown at it. Makes you wonder why people bother with chainsaws? A good arb team could clear-fell an entire section of forest by just throwing Tom brown trackers.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No you were correct when you said The Tom brown tracker. This is because not only can you throw this knife without it spinning but when it hits a tree, the blade will pierce all the way through the trunk and come out through the other side. But not only that, it will leave a huge hole that is much bigger than that of the actual blade. In fact, I bet if you threw it sideways you could fell a tree by throwing the Tom brown at it. Makes you wonder why people bother with chainsaws? A good arb team could clear-fell an entire section of forest by just throwing Tom brown trackers.

Just asking , so don't flame me , but have you used one? Not the Awful TOPs make but a decent Becks WSK clone?

Reactions: chimpy leon

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
No never. The Tracker, although not my kind of tool probably does have its uses.
My post was more of a light hearted dig at the Hollywood film hunted.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Chris Caine tool (parang) don’t get to use it much these days but would take that.

Always wanted one of those Wilkinson Sword Survival Knives in the 1980’s sold from the survival aids catalogue. There a old memory great shop in Morland Cumbria

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE