One Knife and 6 Months In The Wild - What is your choice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Well put it this way, if you were stopped by the police and said you were carrying it for self defense, you would probably end up in prison, you would have a hard job explaining you expected to be attacked by an animal, or a crazy tomato,I would think it unwise to say on a forum you were carrying a knife for self defense, , but that is only my opinion.

Reactions: Herman30

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well put it this way, if you were stopped by the police and said you were carrying it for self defense, you would probably end up in prison, you would have a hard job explaining you expected to be attacked by an animal, or a crazy tomato,I would think it unwise to say on a forum you were carrying a knife for self defense, , but that is only my opinion.

Well , Put it this way...... I think the Police would have a problem with nearly all of these blades.

However - lets remember the context of the OP and keep it on point shall we? Nothing worse than Mission Creep.

" Let's just pretend that you were going to be stranded in the wild for six months and the only tool you could have would be a knife, which one would you choose to have? "

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
One knife? As I said, it needs to be on the big/long side. Conventional design for woody stems.
Not for tropical mush like celery.

Stick to your side of the big pond. Never bring a knife to a gun fight here.
If I'm up a logging road in July, with no hunting season in sight, I'm always armed (12 ga x 3" SSG.)
Everything is accurate at handshaking distances. None of this 2m crud!!!!
All I want is to forage a bunch of off cut junk cedar for wood carving. I always carry the shotgun, I never put it down.
Been challenged a couple of times.

The bears are fairly calculating about a kill. They will get down wind of you and consider the challenge.
You are totally screwed if you approach a partially buried kill. That bear is within 100m and hears you.
Or, by sheer misfortune, you got between a sow and her cubs. You are dead. That's just bloody bad luck.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
On the old BB forum I did not get much understanding for pointing out that even though British law does not recognize defensive weapons there still is defensive use of whatever. That is just logical. Like wise with the peculiarity that the word "weapon" is used both for a purpose made object and occasional defensive use of down pillow.

The clearest answer I got was that law does not need to be logical which is kind of true but I don't think that they can just switch on and off the use of it.

Our own wording considering similar circumstances is absolutely idiotic and it even breaks the important rule that by reading the law one should be able to deduce what is allowed what is not.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Getting thing back on track, let's say the area is friendly and will not be bothered by people (private land etc) in Scotland or similar as an example, and the largest and most threatening animal your likely to come close to is a curious cow.

The idea is a go to blade, there have been some really good options and grateful for those that have contributed. I am learning about peoples ideas and identified needs, which is great. Thank you

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Questions like this used to be more than common on many Am. fora and usually ended in a moderated (useles) fight. The question itself is not pointless but I think it should be presented in the form "what type of knife". The manufacturer does not really matter all that much if normal quality knives are discussed and it just caused the unnecessary fights.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Questions like this used to be more than common on many Am. fora and usually ended in a moderated (useles) fight. The question itself is not pointless but I think it should be presented in the form "what type of knife". The manufacturer does not really matter all that much if normal quality knives are discussed and it just caused the unnecessary fights.

Equally fair to say there have been no fights or squabbles yet - just healthy shows of opinion.

Hopefully all present have checked their Egos at the door on the way in.

Reactions: Potatohead

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I said I’d probably prefer something like the MOD knife. Am I wrong in thinking that such a knife which was at one time an issued item probably had been made by more than one contractor?

edited to correct spelling.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLM and gra_farmer

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I said I’d probably prefer something like the MOD knife. Am I wrong in thing that such a knife which was at one time an issued item probably had been made by more than one contractor?
I have used the larger mod knives with the 10 inch blades and 5mm stock, I liked it very much, but the handle was not right for me. Brands don't matter, the patterns and importantly your choice is what counts, nice choice :)

Reactions: santaman2000

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
If we are talking big all-rounders...

Up until a couple of months ago I would have probably said my Condor parang. Its a chopping supremo but a bit too nose heavy for close work.

But having used this exclusively for the last month and a bit, for me currently, it would have to be my Terävä Skrama 240, Carbon Steel.

IMG_20200702_215100.jpg

The balance is inspired. When On the rear part of the hand and a half grip it has plenty of forward weight and inertia for full swing chopping or "parang" style chopping from the hand & wrist.
A well placed full swing will halve again an average 10" x 4" split in one strike. Itll also take a beating through some of the gnarliest knotty stuff too.

Choked up at the front of the grip its perfectly counterbalanced and feels 'weightless' for fine work and feathering. Very little fatiguing due to weight. Along with the dual grind its a proper "jack of all trades master of none"
It wont replace an axe, nor will it outmanouvre a 4" bushy. But for me at least, it does both jobs well enough if i had to take only one big blade, right now i'd bag this one.

Plus i have now done five fire-pit cook outs using this for the splitting and prep work and have not yet found a need to show it the stones.
The steel is proper tough and the heat treat seems to be spot on.

Last edited:

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Equally fair to say there have been no fights or squabbles yet - just healthy shows of opinion.

Hopefully all present have checked their Egos at the door on the way in.

All good so far. Its a common question but
I think everyone realises that the op's question was to draw on the spectrum of good experience that exists here.
No-one has tried every tool.
We can only impart from what we have used. I for one am finding it quite interesting.
a lot of steel has passed through my hands over the years but Ive never had a go on one of those MOD knives for example.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
but it's carbon and it will rust.

Good point.

80CrV2 however is an oustanding sweet spot steel for toughness, edge retention etc.
It contains more chromium than O1 but not enough to be considered stainless obviously.
Its not the maintenance nightmare you might think.

Ive tried the stainless version and unless you are really wet a lot or by the sea the 80CrV2 out performs it considerably.

All tool steels require some level of maintenance but so far I have only had to clean and dry this blade. I havent had to oil it yet. And im thinking maybe if i can force a patina on it this may improve it again

fielder1963

Aug 29, 2013
Shropshire
I have just got hold of a Condor Combat Machete ( discontinued ) and my goodness what a beast, it's stainless steel, 13" blade, sharp, will chop, slice, ( it's own weight will cut through an A4 sheet of paper ) baton, will food prep at a push, great camp knife and as a self defense tool ... well lets just say it looks like a modern day Roman short sword !!
You beat me to buying it, I wanted it haha.

Reactions: Potatohead

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE