Old sewing machines (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
I have a 99K hand crank from 1956 so still newish :) great machine to work with rely pleased with it bought it off Cliff.

here she is

some sewing i have done with it already.

one canvas stuff sack and two badges sewn on to my side pouches.

nice tidy stitch

what will be next Hmmmmm

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I have a 99K hand crank from 1956 so still newish :) great machine to work with rely pleased with it bought it off Cliff...
what will be next Hmmmmm
Awww I'm sooo pleased you've got a good un, Karl! Those 99ks are excellent and it's the handcrank version too, MOST excellent :) Has he got a good source of machines coming in? Mine seems to have dried up to drips and drabs :)

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
he just looking in the local area i believe. yea i am chuffed i have yet to test it on the thick leather i have for a sheath.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Nice one Karl,
Sal I'm just ebay serching localy if its a cheap I hover it up .
Been on the 28 all afternoon working on the baker tent fantastic machine .

Twodogs

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Martin s is ready for him next meet :) it's a 28, I should bang a piccy off... It's not as pretty, 109 years of use has bedded in the mechanism superbly and she beautiful in an old lass way :)

Here's mine, a Singer Improved Family from 1893

Singer 11 by chickendave, on Flickr

Singer 12 by chickendave, on Flickr

The bobbins are a bugger to find

Singer 8 by chickendave, on Flickr

but it works a treat and is great fun to use. I still have my mums Jones Family CS and a couple of other hand crank singers as well as a fantastic german slant needle singer with knee controls but that's in storage until the new work room is finished.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
You tried that Helen Howe link of Bilmos, lovey? Bobbin heaven ;) Can't wait to see a photo of the new room with everything out, that sounds stunning and its brilliant to see such an old machine treadling away a good un ;)

Pics for martin :) Not well posed but handsome is as handsome does ;)
1003815_10200835585306384_406644185_n.jpg

1016196_10200835587946450_600704095_n.jpg

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Oodles of elbow grease, homemade castille soap and an old toothbrush ;) I tried a wee wipe of white spirit on a hidden area but it didn't do the golding on the decals any good. A very old and worn green nylon pan scourer gets pushed into service in very oily non decalled places like behind the handcrank seems to work well :)

I've been using farecla g3 on the polished bits on mine, didn't dare attack Martins with it though, I need to test ride it first ;) so his polished bits were done with the soap & scourer... I don't doubt that within a year he'll be stripping it down and doing it properly, just like you did with yours ;) You've been having a bit of a making sesison with your two havent you? Will we be seeing a thread on the project?!

PS Sun attacks the decals really badly, don't leave the machines in strong sunlight indefinately, folks, or they'll go silver :)

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Just seen this thread, my mum still sews on her 1950ish singer, I learnt to sew on it and I was given another one by my mother in law, not sure whether we still have it in her loft, I must look for it.

I did, she is not far from me and gave great service. It was her who identified the machine for me when I had failed everywhere else. A very good person to get advice from and she makes brilliant kites as well.

Dave

You tried that Helen Howe link of Bilmos, lovey? Bobbin heaven ;) Can't wait to see a photo of the new room with everything out, that sounds stunning and its brilliant to see such an old machine treadling away a good un ;)

Pics for martin :) Not well posed but handsome is as handsome does ;)
1003815_10200835585306384_406644185_n.jpg

1016196_10200835587946450_600704095_n.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE