Old sewing machines (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
SingerCoffinTop.jpg
Hopefully, here are the photos.
photo.jpg

Last edited:

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
That was a releif. Have not done that for a while.
Finally got it running. Fitted leather needle and got some Gutterman upholstry thread. Did a few practice runs on some scraps of leather. The belt is too big, will get correct one tomorrow. Even so it sewed 3 pieces of 1mm calfskin together. Had to give handwheel a tug to start it. Expecting great things tomorrow. Never used a sewing machine before. Whooooaa!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It's a big mistake to think that a particular thread is too small for the job in hand. Firstly, any form of upholstery thread will be immensely strong and will certainly be strong enough for anything we are likely to do; the strength of the final workpiece is determined much more by the quality of the stitch and these machines produce that par excellence. It's a really complicated subject if you go into it fully, but there's really no need, you'd be surprised how strong a seam you get even in leather and very heavy fabric just by using a good polyester "sew-all" type thread. Much more important is to get the tension right, so that the stitches link in the middle of the thickness of the material being sewn. Next time you get the chance, look at the thread used in a good quality handbag or outdoor garment - you'll be surprised at what you find.

If you feel the need to explore the subject further, you'll find stuff online; the art of it is not "bigger is stronger", but using the correct thread for the job. Hope this helps,..................atb mac

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
And each make of leather needle will differ slightly from the next too, often in quality of the hole- theres nothing as frustrating as a cheap needle with a burr that breaks the thread :)

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Thank you very much for that Macaroon. The reason I was after a thicker thread was more for aesthetics than strengh. But I take your point [if you will excuse the pun].
As I said before Sal I am using Shmetz needles. So hopefully they should be ok.
One other question. Is there a way of telling when your lower bobbin has run out? Might sound like a spupid question to you seasoned sewers, but I an an absolute beginner.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
After you've been using the machine for a while you'll get to know the signs of the bobbin running out - on some machines the sound changes, others not - but you'll see the lack of tension on the top of the stitch alter.
Just one of the reasons to have as many good quality bobbins as you can get your mitts on, and keep 'em loaded with your most-used stuff.

I've found the best way for decorative stitching with thick or fancy threads is to first sew the seams with the structurally correct thread and then oversew with the decorative stitch using a slightly looser tension. I've used pretty thick linen thread with my 201k, but as Sal says it's dependant to a large extent on the quality of the needles used and the bobbins as well. Try to get vintage Singer needles, they come up on sh1te bay from time to time, though I've never seen leather needles - having said that, the Shmetz needles should be fine.......................all the best, mac

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Here's my second one bought from Karl:

28K made in 1901

Should we keep 'em peeled for a treadle table, Martin? You could have a portable and a fixed one then :) It's good using a treadle, you have both hands for the work and they often fold flat into the table so are pretty inconspicuous when stored :) You can sometimes pick the treadle tables up cheap on the Bay :)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Should we keep 'em peeled for a treadle table, Martin? You could have a portable and a fixed one then :) It's good using a treadle, you have both hands for the work and they often fold flat into the table so are pretty inconspicuous when stored :) You can sometimes pick the treadle tables up cheap on the Bay :)

Sal,

Thanks for the offer, but I've no room as it is :lmao:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's exactly what happened to thousands of those cabinets, they were the flagship cabinet for Singer for a long time - people living in smaller and smaller houses and flats was a big factor along with the utter bad taste we were reknowned for in the 70's and 80's, when a lot of lovely stuff bit the dust...................atb mac

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Has anybody had problems with thicker thread? I shortened some jeans and the closest thread I could find was top stitch? But it was too thick to be able to set bobbin tension lose enough before the screw came out. I used heavy weight in the end which wasn't bad but even that the tension was a little high but the screw was only just in. Is there a way around that?

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
If it required alteration of the bobbin tension to that extent, its probably not machine thread... Were you using the same top and bottom? I've had situations on old long bobbin/ shuttle machines where the shuttle spring was bent and had to be reshaped but that applied to all thread used through that shuttle until it was reshaped :) it's surprising how strong the thinner machine thread is but it won't help with matching so not much help to you, it must have been originally sewn of a much larger industrial :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE