Old sewing machines (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Here's some photo's of my Singer 29K53. It came to me as a barn find and wouldn't turn over. On inspection i found that it had been dropped on it's hand wheel, bent the spindle and cracked the boss.

I stripped it down fully and cleaned all the parts and found that it must of been damaged early in it's life as there is no wear in any of the parts. I remade the spindle and turned a nice Brass boss with Bronze bearing in it to replace the damaged parts. Also unfortunately the kneedle bar has some pitting and I didn't want to refit that but managed to source a replacement patern part but that wasn't fully finished off so was returned to the supplier:(.

The original paint was tatty so I've cleaned it up and repainted, I just need to refit the bottom spool mechanism, a new kneedle bar and top rocker bar now to finish it.

Richard

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
What a beauty that is Black Sheep!

Singer have confirmed that my machine was manufactured on 26th September 1877 in Clydebank, Scotland. It is a New Family machine.

I can't say how pleased I am to have acquired such an old and wonderful machine. It will definitely be restored to full working order.

:red:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
We have one of these...

P6170005.JPG

:)

I almost had a lovely little Essex sewing machine too, however it was broken in the post, if anyone needs some spares drop me a PM.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The serial number indicates mine was made in 1892. I knew it belonged to my great grandmother but had no idea it was that old. I had thought it was from the 1920s. It was in my parents' house from before I was born and I acquired it last year. It hasn't been used for at least 50 years and is in much need of TLC.
The cotton reel must be from the last time it was used, probably in the 1960s!

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That curved base is called fiddleback, and was only used on older models, apparently. Later models had a square base.

That machine is gorgeously decorated.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The serial number indicates mine was made in 1892. I knew it belonged to my great grandmother but had no idea it was that old. I had thought it was from the 1920s. It was in my parents' house from before I was born and I acquired it last year. It hasn't been used for at least 50 years and is in much need of TLC.
The cotton reel must be from the last time it was used, probably in the 1960s!

That is utterly gorgeous! Would be wonderful when done up :), probably not too terribly hard to do either.

Takes me right back to childhood and stitching my finger to the whateveritwas I was making ... and auntie turning the machine backwards to take the needle out of the finger! Cuddles and TCP and a bandage later I was back at the machine !!!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
For anybody renovating an old Singer, if you're bothered enough about it or the machine needs it, the original decals used on the old machines are available on ebay; they come from the 'states but the postage and duty are not an issue as they come pretty much as a letter.............They're very easy to apply and make a huge difference to a very distressed machine......hope this is of use,.............atb mac

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
For anybody renovating an old Singer, if you're bothered enough about it or the machine needs it, the original decals used on the old machines are available on ebay; they come from the 'states but the postage and duty are not an issue as they come pretty much as a letter.............They're very easy to apply and make a huge difference to a very distressed machine......hope this is of use,.............atb mac

Cheers for the heads up I might have a look for my 29k53:)

It's great to see folks tuning up these c1800 machines, built to last not like those modern machines - no plastic bits here....

My other hand cranker is in the loft so not checked it's serial number but I do know it traveled the world with my gran when my grandad was in the army. Bet it can tell a few tails. .......

Richard

ashby001

Forager
May 24, 2013
Faversham
We've got this singer at mine it's a 185k
But the serial number appears to be american but it has the british brown/tan colour :/
can anyone shed any light on this? Was it american made and then imported?? Bought in a charity shop in 1983

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Picked up this old critter the other day , started life as a treadle machine now long gone

Tidy oak lid ,

The number dates it to 1892 :)

Striped it and cleaned it ,

Rebuilt it and it runs like a clock ,,,, :cool:

Happy days

Twodogs

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all I've two old singers 1 electric the other one is hand sower has anyone got the instructions on how to thread it please im having problem doing this even if its a pic of the front of your singer all threaded up ?regards dave

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE