Old sewing machines (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Another Jones Family CS...

Jones2711.jpg

pwb

Here's my old Singer.

DSC04581Small_zpse90d7672.jpg

Used quite a bit ,recently made a chainsaw tool roll and to make repairs to an 8m X 4m canvas shelter.

07042013243Small_zps8b37ba70.jpg

All the windows of the shelter were replaced with extra material and each sewn around the edge three times, took awhile :) .
The job was started with an electric machine but it's motor went BANG!! so the bulk of the work was done with the old hand cranked Singer.

Pete.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
These old hand cranked ones just keep going, here's mine :), made some time in 1918 I believe.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
They used to say in the 1940s and 50s that a 201k would cost 6 months wages for a very skilled tailor............most of them were sold on the "drip", one of the first hire purchase schemes ever............most good tailors reckoned that the 201 would repay it's outlay in two years, they called them the Rolls Royce of sewing machines, and many still do; they were the first machine where everything was rotary, i.e. nothing goes back and forth, everything turns including the drive which a really heavily over-engineered metal gearing system. All these machines are lovely to use, but when you get behind a 201 they're so incredibly smooth and quiet, absolutely no vibration whatsoever. Many think that Singer nearly went bust because they never had any repeat business - how would you ever need to buy another?

Christy

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2006
Lowlands
Harvestman, if you know which pieces are missing or need to be replaced, you can contact the Singer museum in Wittenberge.
Right now I have three of those contraptions, two in good working condition.
For nr 3 I'll take it with me when I visit the museum and ask if they have any idea if it can be cured.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That is awesome, still am looking for a nice old sewingmachine,
Should get active on searching one again, thanks for inspiring guys ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Harvestman, if you know which pieces are missing or need to be replaced, you can contact the Singer museum in Wittenberge.
Right now I have three of those contraptions, two in good working condition.
For nr 3 I'll take it with me when I visit the museum and ask if they have any idea if it can be cured.

Other than a needle, I have no idea what is missing. This machine is one of the back-and-forth shuttle machines rather than a full rotary.

By the way, I should put in a plug at this point for one of my favourite charities, as they always want hand cranked rotary machines or basic electric models, for shipping to communities in Tanzania to help women become financially independent and start businesses. They also want old tools, especially for blacksmithing and carpentry. If anyone has something that they might want to donate, please contact them directly.
http://www.tfsrcymru.org.uk/

I actually bought my machine to donate to them, but they wouldn't accept it as it is a shuttle machine - too difficult for the locals to make replacement parts. Which means I have to suffer the hardship of keeping this glorious piece of history myself :rolleyes:

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Here mine new to me form Sal :)

A Singer 28k Circa 1927 ,

Sal did give it a service before I got it ,,, But blokes will play ,,,,:D

bit of oil .

Front cover removed ,, Love the hand painted number four from a long gone worker ,

Wheel removed and a bit of oil ,

All ready for a bit of sewing :)

Twodogs

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Seeing these, makes me want an old one, I 've got a heavy duty Brother that I use, but have always wondered about an old one, maybe next time I am doing some work for TWAM then I may see what they ahve in stock... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE