OK so the world ends tomorrow accordiong to some but............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
..so primitive mammals, capable of burrowing a foot or two into the soft ground, survived....

Mostly it's believed that only animals with a 50 pound body weight or less survived (mammal or otherwise) It's just that mammals were the most common of those at the time.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
what if it does. I realise that the preppers have been planning for this for years, but what about the actual chances of the planet surviving an apocalyptic event? Or humans surviving it? The median average chance of surviving a true apocalyptic event is nil.

Personally I sincerely doubt the the apocalypse is 24 hours away (please write and tell me afterwards if I am wrong) but on a semi serious note, what really are the chances, if say an asteroid the size of London or San Francisco landed on the planet, of any/all species surviving it? Would we be plunged into what is often referred to as "nuclear winter"? Would isolated groups survive and if so who might they be?

Pretty much zero, something a tenth or less that size would put the planet into darkness for potentially years, no crops = no people.

Something like this would pretty much put a stop to things as we know it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/supervolcano/article2.shtml

A nasty new virus is top of my list for making a big impact on society as we know it and changing it forever.

Last edited:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I'm not sure the depletion of fossil fuels is going to be all that slow TBH. I believe I read that there's about another 50-75 years worth at current consumption levels. However that particular scenario has the possibility of finding or developping alternate energy sources. The question is, can we do it? Or maybe rephrased to, WILL we do it?

With 3rd world countries hitting their industrial revolution, 70 years is very optimistic for depletion of fossil fuels.

I'm waiting for the groans of the undead with a billhook in my hands. :lmao:

touched by nature

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
With 3rd world countries hitting their industrial revolution, 70 years is very optimistic for depletion of fossil fuels.

I'm waiting for the groans of the undead with a billhook in my hands. :lmao:

touched by nature

Agreed. My figures were based on CURRENT consumption levels and do not take into account the reality of ongoing development.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Pretty much zero, something a tenth or less that size would put the planet into darkness for potentially years, no crops = no people.

Something like this would pretty much put a stop to things as we know it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/supervolcano/article2.shtml

A nasty new virus is top of my list the making a big impact on society as we know it and changing it forever.

I have a friend who genuinely believes it is HIV that will do us in. He is also from a scientific background. I won't expound his theory here as it wouldnt do it justice, but he made me think.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I don't know about the Mayans but when my calendar runs out I just buy a new one.

:)

I believe the sun will cease to exist long before their calendar does actually run out...... in a few billion years time that is.
Imagine being stuck with "neighbours" calendar till the end of time???

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tis a fair point. But it would in all likelihood be only comparably few who might. Wouldn't want to be the one who chooses who lives though.........

Easy, watch and learn

[video=youtube;so8NQficzZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so8NQficzZg[/video]

If you've not seen the whole film put in on your birthday present list, its superb IMHO :)

Last edited:

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
There was a feature in this months edition of BBC Focus magazine on exactly this topic. They went through a few scenarios of different apocalyptic events and the chances of human survival.

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
12kg rice
6kg pasta
10kg flour(and enough yeast to go with it)
some sausage in the freezer, jam and other stuff to have on the bread)
ketchup, soy sauce, powdered brown sauce, powdered tomato soup, olive oil.
candles, lighters and around 5 days worth of canned food.

this was the result after a quick count.
and no i didn't prep towards the 21st, i just like to have some food around.
i'm still not where i want to be, food storage-wise.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - if it does end tomorrow, it has been nice knowing you all:)
If it does not end tomorrow, I look forward to seeing you all next year;)

If it ends "as we knew it" - I hope I get to see some of you some time :p
Just time to get my preps finished......

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What time do the lights go out, is it midnight tonight? I'll be on here if my broadband holds up.

I was going to wrap the pressies tonight but I think I'll wait until tomorrow

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE