OK so the world ends tomorrow accordiong to some but............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Should be the biggest party night ever tonight. Its galactic new years eve. Only happens every 26000 years. 26x rarer than the millenium :D

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Fascinating! Is that one complete rotation? I thought that happened every 250 million years, but my memory might be failing!

Also, another point, who sets the "start" date?!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Call it new long count eve then. :D

How does anyone know how long it takes the galaxy to revolve? I doubt the 250 million years is correct either. But of course, you are aware that the duration of the revolution is variable depending on your position relative to the centre :)....... Closer to the centre....less time than the outer rim. For example..

One year on Mercury is on average 88 earth days.

One year on pluto is 248 earth years.

So the 250million year galactic orbit may be true, somewhere. As might the 26000 years one. ;)

Fascinating! Is that one complete rotation? I thought that happened every 250 million years, but my memory might be failing!

Also, another point, who sets the "start" date?!

Last edited:

udamiano

On a new journey
Was it ending this morning or later tonight, as I've got some stuff that needs doing, and I don't want to miss it :lmao:

Seriously though, the distinct lack of anything Armageddon like this morning over me porridge, was to say the least! Not a surprise. The sky seems almost blank with its lack of killer planets, or large asteroids, and the Sun does seem fairly quiet on the raining death from above kinda score. And I imagine a lot of people are going to feel really silly tomorrow and spend the next 12 months really getting ribbed from their mates.

Anyway have a happy non-end of the world Day to one and all :cool:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Well, i must admit to being a wee bit disappointed, I thought i might have at least some sort of epiphany but no, same old drudgery of day to day existence...So when's the next apocalypse due?...:p

Mar 14, 2012
uk
Was it ending this morning or later tonight, as I've got some stuff that needs doing, and I don't want to miss it :lmao:

Seriously though, the distinct lack of anything Armageddon like this morning over me porridge, was to say the least! Not a surprise. The sky seems almost blank with its lack of killer planets, or large asteroids, and the Sun does seem fairly quiet on the raining death from above kinda score. And I imagine a lot of people are going to feel really silly tomorrow and spend the next 12 months really getting ribbed from their mates.

Anyway have a happy non-end of the world Day to one and all :cool:

dont worry youre safe and so is every one who neeeeeeds to watch corrie or east enders! are alright to as it was meant to be 11:11 am today but i personally dont have a TV so i wasnt worried about missing anything!;)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
....and i feel fine....:p

[video=youtube;Z0GFRcFm-aY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded& v=Z0GFRcFm-aY[/video]

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Some joker set the fire alarm off at work/school at 11:11. Must admit, the panicked look on the kids faces was priceless :)

Sent from myPhone

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Another 26000 years Tom :D

Not neccessarily :):).............in 2022 the comet Schwassmann-Wachmann (try saying that when you've had a few) will be skimming the earth & fragmenting, showering us with some interesting debris..........doubt I'll be here to see it though :(

However this looks like something worth watching out for & not long to wait http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410192,00.asp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE