OK so the world ends tomorrow accordiong to some but............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
what if it does. I realise that the preppers have been planning for this for years, but what about the actual chances of the planet surviving an apocalyptic event? Or humans surviving it? The median average chance of surviving a true apocalyptic event is nil.

Personally I sincerely doubt the the apocalypse is 24 hours away (please write and tell me afterwards if I am wrong) but on a semi serious note, what really are the chances, if say an asteroid the size of London or San Francisco landed on the planet, of any/all species surviving it? Would we be plunged into what is often referred to as "nuclear winter"? Would isolated groups survive and if so who might they be?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I have a stockpile of mince pies, so all's well.

I truly think the only thing we have to worry about as a species is Nuclear holocaust and meteor strike. Everything else will come slowly, and hopefully after our children's time.

(If it actually does). There's nothing wrong with being prepared though.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
It's already tomorrow in Australia and as far as I know it's still there..............so probably no need to panic just yet :lmao:

If an asteroid does hit I think chances of survival are slim no matter how well prepped you are, the dinosaurs didn't do so well did they :confused:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Its a pretty endless list, but we've managed to survive on a ball of molten rock travelling 1037.5646 miles per hour for a year or three.

I'll sleep safe tonight :)

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
It won't be an asteroid since there's a million eyes looking skyward and no sniff of one big enough to worry us just yet! That does leave, bio weapons, nuclear war, earthquakes, volcanoes, pole shifts, economic collapse, and I could go on.
Enjoy today cos you never know when you'll run out of tomorrows.
Anyhow 9 hrs and 20 mns to go as we invented GMT and the rest of the universe knows it!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's already tomorrow in Australia and as far as I know it's still there..............so probably no need to panic just yet :lmao:

If an asteroid does hit I think chances of survival are slim no matter how well prepped you are, the dinosaurs didn't do so well did they :confused:

That's a shame, I was hoping NZ (or more specific: a person in a tiny village on the southern island), would have been gone by now ... :( Aaah well, here's for next Apocalypse :p

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

I truly think the only thing we have to worry about as a species is Nuclear holocaust and meteor strike. Everything else will come slowly, and hopefully after our children's time.

A large enough Coronal mass ejection could make a right mess or as was said, a big caldera going off....the "year without a summer" which is historically mentioned would cause mass starvation now....

However I suspect as you say, a long slow decline through over population, depletion of cheap fossil fuels etc. is far more likely.

Some risks do require an "acceptance" countermeasure

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A large enough Coronal mass ejection could make a right mess or as was said, a big caldera going off....the "year without a summer" which is historically mentioned would cause mass starvation now....

However I suspect as you say, a long slow decline through over population, depletion of cheap fossil fuels etc. is far more likely. ....

I'm not sure the depletion of fossil fuels is going to be all that slow TBH. I believe I read that there's about another 50-75 years worth at current consumption levels. However that particular scenario has the possibility of finding or developping alternate energy sources. The question is, can we do it? Or maybe rephrased to, WILL we do it?

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK

However I suspect as you say, a long slow decline through over population, depletion of cheap fossil fuels etc. is far more likely.

Some risks do require an "acceptance" countermeasure

We share an opinion on this British Red. I think we are at the zenith of humanity and fast reaching a state where the planet is unable to sustain us, and that'll be when the decline starts IMO.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just watching the classic film "quiet earth" It could just be one of us taht survives! :lmao:

So if its just me left then I will be straight round to JonathanD`s place first for his Rambo knife ;)
Then its off up to my local Gunsmiths to have the damas side by side I have been drooling over for years.
So whos place are you going to plunder first? :pirate:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK

Fortunately I am fat enough to have avoided any need to stockpile, should still be here in a couple of years given a harsh famine :lmao:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire

Mammals did though.................

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Mammals did though.................

I was reading about this recently, that concesus view was that mammals which were in early stages and small, hence were able to survive through burrowing, but the recent stuff suggested a redevelopment of mammal species.

And of course, reptiles did survive - crocofiles, tortoises.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
..so primitive mammals, capable of burrowing a foot or two into the soft ground, survived, but no-one thinks homo sapiens - capable of a whole lot more - will? I agree that billionas probably won't make it if a nuclear winter set in, but many will. And we have billions to spare:)

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
..so primitive mammals, capable of burrowing a foot or two into the soft ground, survived, but no-one thinks homo sapiens - capable of a whole lot more - will? I agree that billionas probably won't make it if a nuclear winter set in, but many will. And we have billions to spare:)

Tis a fair point. But it would in all likelihood be only comparably few who might. Wouldn't want to be the one who chooses who lives though.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE