Oiled wool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I was told that if a jumper has been brutally washed or otherwise had the lanolin removed a wash with a tea spoon of baby oil does wonder for softness and water repellancy.

Not used it yet though.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Jersey, in the Channel Islands, was famous for its knitting trade in medieval times, and because of that original fame, the name jersey is still applied to many forms of knitted fabric, round or flat. The traditional jersey, and traditional guernsey, are dyed a navy blue colour, using a dye that does not require stripping the wool of its natural oil, rendering these sweaters surprisingly water resistant. The wool used in guernseys is often passed through oil in order to render it doubly water-resistant.[ci

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oiled wool these days has a kind of liquid paraffin added to it.
It was actually the stuff that was used as lubrication for the weaving and carding processes when the wool was too dry and it became a selling point.

Baby oil works very well, and has the advantage of not having the miasma of sheep :)

The blue dye would have been indigo, which is strong enough to cover a multitude of difficulties, but is better done on wax and oil free fibres or fabrics.

cheers,
Toddy

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
At least around here some people use cloth diapers for their children (saves hundreds of pounds, just for a starter), and one of the outer pant options here is made from wool. Therefore, in the "baby accessory" shops (they don't appear to sell the actual babies, just accessories) you can buy relanolizing solutions (lanolin in a liquid suspension/emulsion). This works very well for bush or reenactment woolens.

And Toddy, what is wrong with the "miasma of sheep"?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
At least around here some people use cloth diapers for their children (saves hundreds of pounds, just for a starter)

We used cloth nappies for our daughter - bought a load second hand for £20 - brilliant things (didn't use wool, though... couldn't cope with the miasma of sheep :D)

forestwalker

We used cloth nappies for our daughter - bought a load second hand for £20 - brilliant things (didn't use wool, though... couldn't cope with the miasma of sheep :D)

You really don't get much of the sheep miasma. We had an truly mixed bag, I liked the woollen ones best. Of course, the finicky people mind them because you actually have to *handle* sh*tty diapers (me I just washed my hands, no big deal).

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I often spritz a fleece with baby oil in water to help it handle well when I'm spinning it, specially if its been washed- I prefer to spin from a raw fleece though as the natural oils etc ( ;) ) seem to help it both during the spin, knit and eventual wear processes :) The important thing with ganseys etc is that the wool is spun along the fibre (a worsted spin) rather than across it (woolen spin) as the woolen traps in air where the rain runs off worsted and the fibres sit closely together so is more windproof.... mmmm I believe, always happy to stand corrected :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you full wool, that is thickened and stabilised by felting it a bit, and then oil it, it's pretty blooming weather proof :D

M

forestwalker

If you full wool, that is thickened and stabilised by felting it a bit, and then oil it, it's pretty blooming weather proof :D

I tried the lanolin stuff on a vadmal ("felted" wool fabric) wool shirt, and strong wind was the only thing that could defeat it. It will eventually get damp in a heavy rain (about by the time the people in rainwear are soaked to the skin).
Me and the miasmic sheep giggle at the expensive gore-tex stuff.

Hmm, what would Gorse-Tex be? Tweed? Waxed cotton?

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Yep, I still have one my wife knitted for me many years ago. I also had a Norwegian Navy surplus one once- it smelt foul and left me wondering about Norwegian sizes. Maybe the arms were deliberately three quarter length so they didn't get soaked when hauling in nets. Thank you Toddy for the oiling idea maybe I'll wash it now: it might need it after 30 years!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I often spritz a fleece with baby oil in water to help it handle well when I'm spinning it, specially if its been washed- I prefer to spin from a raw fleece though as the natural oils etc ( ;) ) seem to help it both during the spin, knit and eventual wear processes :) The important thing with ganseys etc is that the wool is spun along the fibre (a worsted spin) rather than across it (woolen spin) as the woolen traps in air where the rain runs off worsted and the fibres sit closely together so is more windproof.... mmmm I believe, always happy to stand corrected :)

Forgive my ignorance but could you please explain what you mean by spinning across and along the fibres?

Thanks,

Geraint

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE