Oh Red................

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A wooden case would make more sense...thin ply or even hadboard to protect the teeth in transit...I've seen them made like that....

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm gonna make a leather one with straps so i can hang it across my back when i need to take it into the woods. If i'm needing that then i'm going to be carrying and axe aswell, much prefer the axe in my hand, and always like to keep a hand free. :)

Could always sew a wooden protector in the the bottom around the teeth and tip, but have the rest leather.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a good call!

This is a saw jointer by the way

$(KGrHqZ,!hYFDvHereoMBQ9LpmgwTQ~~60_57.JPG

The flat thing sticking out both ends is a file. The saw teeth point upwards and go in the bottom. Rub the file along the teeth and they all end up the same height - but you then have flat spots where the teeth should be pointed that you have to file back to triangles if that makes sense? All you need is something to hold the file flat on the teeth as you slide it back and forth. You could easily make something out of wood to hold the file at 90 degrees to the blade.

To sharpen the teeth after jointing you will need a 7 inch slim tapered triangular file - thats the right profile for 4.5 tpi

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Here you go Mark (just an example) - this is the type of set you will need - they come up second hand cheaply - but 4tpi is large teeth - many start at 8tpi or even 12 tpi so be sure to get a suitable set

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Somax-No-...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a25f8a0ac

The older Eclipse 77 versions of that turn up often at the local secondhand place I go to. I have one.
The bloke opens the place back up when January is over, might be able to get one a hell of a lot cheaper than twenty odd quid if someone wants one.

Or search Ebay with the term Eclipse saw set
Saw Set throws up loads of results also.

There's sometimes nice Disston saw vices come up on Ebay but not many. Not rocket science to make a wooden saw vice or even just use a normal woodworkers vice for the job but the Disston ones are very nice.

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice looking saw HillBill, that saw set Red linked, I got one the same from my local car boot along with some other sort of set for £3 the pair, lucky b***er am I not. :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
nice saw :)

it will need the tops taking off if you damage it or after quite a few sharpenings (you probably won't need to top or set the teeth very often if you sharpen little and often).

a word of advise with the saw sets though, go for a Somax not the Eclipse ones. I've been through 3 Eclipse sets in the last 5 years, the anvils are soft and the plunger drives the teeth too far (also means you can't set finer toothed saws at all as the plunger is pressing to wide). the somax ones are much better :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thanks for the advice Dave. :)

I was eyeing the Somax ones up, i like buying new ( and decent) for important tools. Though nothing wrong with many of the older stuff. :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
nice saw :)

it will need the tops taking off if you damage it or after quite a few sharpenings (you probably won't need to top or set the teeth very often if you sharpen little and often).

a word of advise with the saw sets though, go for a Somax not the Eclipse ones. I've been through 3 Eclipse sets in the last 5 years, the anvils are soft and the plunger drives the teeth too far (also means you can't set finer toothed saws at all as the plunger is pressing to wide). the somax ones are much better :)

Fair enough, I have the Eclipse but even though I'm a carpenter and do it for a living I've only set my tenon saw that I hardly ever use.
That just goes to show that in my industry its cheaper in terms of time (which does equal money on site) hardpoints and electric saws have totally taken over.

I'm still not that blown away by the wastage of throwing a hardpoint away every month (on average) but they cost a fiver plus VAT compared to about an hour* to sharpen a non hardpoint saw. An hour is more than a fiver plus vat to me. If you see what I mean.

If I wasn't working in this environment I would be sharpenable saws all the way cos I don't mind sharpening stuff given the time.

*Yes its possible that because I've not done it many times that I'm just slow at it, fact remains, Hardpoints still took over from sharpenable saws on building sites (not so much with people making furniture) where the workers were very concious about cost versus gain.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I bought the rip saw to rip boards from fallen trees in the woods mainly, as well as to rip down a load of yew i have. Doubt those hardpoints or electric saws would be able to do the jobs i bought this for at all.Unless the hardpoints come in big sizes, but they wouldn't be breasted or taper ground

IMO it represents the difference between a job and a lifestyle :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
IMO it represents the difference between a job and a lifestyle :)

Ahh, are you retired by the way?
When I've eventually paid for my house I might start thinking that way, till then I'll do what I can to keep the roof over my head.

Like I said, I don't like the idea of disposable saws, it grates on me and always has. It doesn't grate on me quite as much as not paying the mortgage though and the last bloke I saw on site with a sharpenable handsaw was in 1988. Even then the labourer walked into the bait cabin and said "He's sharpening his saws" like it was a long gone idea.

Given the time to spend sharpening them though, I still like them.

Looks like you got something really nice there, I'm slightly jealous. :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm 33 :) Fully retired from the rat race, and still paying for my house too. Though the lifestyle i refer to is one in which work and hobby are the same thing :) I make my living making knives, and its a struggle. But i suppose for me the saw is a way of saving money. I can buy nice timber in log from from tree surgeons, for knife handles, but my bandsaw only has a 20cm throat, so i need to rip logs down for the bandsaw to be able to cut them up into scales. Also taking up traditional carpentry as a hobby, so the saw fits into both :) It was that or chainsaw, the saw was cheaper and doesnt need a constant injection of cash to keep it going. Were at different ends i suppose. I spend the time, to save the cash, you spend the cash to save the time... :)

Ahh, are you retired by the way?
When I've eventually paid for my house I might start thinking that way, till then I'll do what I can to keep the roof over my head.

Like I said, I don't like the idea of disposable saws, it grates on me and always has. It doesn't grate on me quite as much as not paying the mortgage though and the last bloke I saw on site with a sharpenable handsaw was in 1988. Even then the labourer walked into the bait cabin and said "He's sharpening his saws" like it was a long gone idea.

Given the time to spend sharpening them though, I still like them.

Looks like you got something really nice there, I'm slightly jealous. :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm 33 :) Fully retired from the rat race, and still paying for my house too. Though the lifestyle i refer to is one in which work and hobby are the same thing :) I make my living making knives, and its a struggle. But i suppose for me the saw is a way of saving money. I can buy nice timber in log from from tree surgeons, for knife handles, but my bandsaw only has a 20cm throat, so i need to rip logs down for the bandsaw to be able to cut them up into scales. Also taking up traditional carpentry as a hobby, so the saw fits into both :) It was that or chainsaw, the saw was cheaper and doesnt need a constant injection of cash to keep it going. Were at different ends i suppose. I spend the time, to save the cash, you spend the cash to save the time... :)

Oh crap, you're younger than me.

Yeah, different ends I guess. I have to compete against everyone else who does the same job in a certain amount of time or I don't get the work.
Slow? Out of work.
Hammer nails in with a hammer? There's a bloke over there with a nailgun, he's faster.
Chisel hinges in with a chisel? That bloke does em twice as fast with a router.
Screwdriver? He's got a cordless.

Its sometimes like an arms race and I try to only buy the stuff that makes economical sense, hardpoints have made sense since I started though, cordlesses about the same time.
Nailguns have for a few years now and on a big site with masses of doors routers make sense as well, not for only one door cos they take a bit of time to set up though.

Sorry, I seem to have digressed slightly.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Its interesting to hear mate. Didn't realise is was so competitive. :) Can understand your view point a lot better for the explanation :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE