Off grid phone charger options, whats best?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Im planning a few longer trips this summer and, sad though it is, i need to be able to use my phone. So, based on personal experience, whats the best option solar, AA battery, dynamo or something else?

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have FREELOADER which has a battery that charges via a solar panel and has a larger attachable solar trickle charge panel. I also have a Maplin battery pack to connect. I do not use a spare phone battery as when you take the back off phones they never really snap as well again.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I use a Power Monkey Extreme. I used it whilst Serving and definitely found the sunnier countries worked a little better. However, it's seems perfectly functional here in the UK too.

Hope this helps. Ed

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ignore solar, Solar wont keep up unless its proper sunny. A two AA charger may give you 3/4 of a fill.

depending on what phone you have you could carry spare batteries.

trent chargers are great value and have two outputs, one for phone and one for ipad etc. I use a power pack all the time now and it keeps me juiced for up to a week.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-I...MP50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364152785&sr=8-1

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
My freeloader is a bit of a waste of time, the only time it did charge properly was on holiday but I think I fried one of the panels. I bought a multi charger from go outdoors, 2x AA batteries, simples

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I have a power monkey extreme. Great battery and the solar works well enough in this country to keep the battery topped up and even better in sunnier places.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I too have the power monkey extreme, as said, works brilliantly for me too. Great battery, 9000 mah and the solar panel charges my phone on its own, even without direct sunlight. Obviously it's better in full sun. Waterproof to a certain ipx standard, can't remember which though. Well worth the money.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
How long is 'longer'.

For up to about a week I use a trent battery pack + my smartphone.

If its just for the odd call here and there, an old gsm mobile works well (their battery life is impressive).... I've got an old T68i that'll do a week on standby, couple that with the battery pack and I reckon I could easily do a month+ with calls

Last edited:

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I use a 7000mAH TeckNet, it'll charge my iPhone 4 4-5 times from a single charge. Got one after hearing nothing but good about them from people I follow on Twitter, really happy with it (tons of reviews through the above link).

Matt

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Apparently the biolite stove has a battery in it, which can recharge an iphone twice.
And if that battery is depleted it'd take 5 hours burn time to recharge it.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Apparently the biolite stove has a battery in it, which can recharge an iphone twice.
And if that battery is depleted it'd take 5 hours burn time to recharge it.

Sadly it doesnt work like that, the onboard microprocessor protects the fan function and will cut off the usb supply if you try to charge without running the stove. I had a biolite and as a stove its great on dry wood or pellet. The phone charging is an added bonus. the company states that 20mins of charging gives one hour of talk time. If it was really that good they would quote time to fill a battery. Its still emerging tech and im sure it will improve over time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE