Off grid phone charger options, whats best?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
phone connected with an in car charger to a land rover , which is intern tricle charged from a diesil generator, fueled by diesil from the petrol station, which is lit by the wind terbine and solar panels on its roof !

Good high quality solar charger,

monocrystaline cells

small 5v battery around 2000mah (2 phone charges) lithium with onboard charge controller 100g

panel around 2- 3 watt will charge you phone once on a bad day in winter, and charge the battery and phone in summer sun. Expensive but try aliexpress.com as all solar seems to be made in china. 100g

Example brunton solaris

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Sadly it doesnt work like that, the onboard microprocessor protects the fan function and will cut off the usb supply if you try to charge without running the stove. I had a biolite and as a stove its great on dry wood or pellet. The phone charging is an added bonus. the company states that 20mins of charging gives one hour of talk time. If it was really that good they would quote time to fill a battery. Its still emerging tech and im sure it will improve over time.

Yeah, didn't mean to imply you could charge at any time. It'd be more useful if it could, but then your left wondering why your battery pack is attached to your stove.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, ive just got a biolite, nice well made piece of kit. if you charge the unit at home first befor you use it, then it will start to charge your phone within 2-3 mins. but i always carry a spare phone and camera battery anyway. carl

BenTheSweep

Apr 12, 2013
Bristol
I have a bio lite stove. Bought it a couple of weeks ago. It's hard to get one for under £150. I even considered getting one from the states but whilst its $130 plus $50 delivery if you get collared for import duty it ends up costing more.
Finally found a uk company selling at £150 and it arrived next day along with 5 pre packed meals.

Overall I'm impressed. The comments are correct in the time it takes to charge a phone but making 3 brews and a meal puts 50% charge in my phone. Enough for a day, even longer if you turned off all the apps running in the background you don't need.

Edit- it also boils water very fast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE