Off Grid Cabin Design.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thinking of more of a classic A-Frame style ( maybe with a full height dormer on one side ) built around commonly sourced standard length materials from builders yards.

Needs to be compact but usable but not feeling like living in a box kennel.

Something like this.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
There are some nice looking glamping/camping pods, not seen any plans publicly available though.

Reactions: TeeDee

bearbait

I remember reading about a family, many years ago, that built their home from two polytunnels, a smaller one inside the larger. They used and packed all sorts of stuff between the two "skins" to insulate the inner tunnel. Don't know about condensation on the inner. And can't remember which country they were in re climate. But this could be a relatively cheap "den". Not light inside, though, due to the insulation but I'm sure prior design could provide for the odd window here and there. Even a stove with flue.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
There's a film/documentary about Lance Mackey (four time winner of the Iditarod sled dog race) up in Fairbanks Alaska where he talks about stuffing the walls of the cabin he built for the family with old clothing & bedding scavenged from wherever he could get it.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ben Law used hay bales for his home. https://ben-law.co.uk/
One thing to consider with strawbale construction is making sure no pests can get into it or you might have basically just made the walls into a big rat home.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that its worth taking the time to do it right.
Also you always have to keep it dry so up off the ground, large roof overhang so the rain doesn't reach the walls and look after the rainwater gutters.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If I had the money, I'd love to have a barbecue cabin. It has a central bbq area and 3 pull down beds. They are gorgeous to look at outside being hexagonal, and so cosy inside. I've been in one, and love it. But they are very expensive. Most of them have the option to customise.
I'm so sorry I can't post a link, I just dont know how but a google of barbecue cabin will give you several suppliers. The one I fell in love with is made by a somerset firm in Norton fitzwarren.,I think, if I remember correctly.
They are based on a traditional Scandinavian design, and indeed, I have seen identical looking ones in sweden..only from the outside sadly.
If you can't afford one, and are talented, perhaps you could build your own.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Well here they are sometimes called "nut cabins" not because one goes nuts in them but because the cross section is that of a nut ... (called grill cabins too).

Not very difficult to build if one is even a half way builder. Come to think of it there might be plans on the net for the ones the government organization uses.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well here they are sometimes called "nut cabins" not because one goes nuts in them but because the cross section is that of a nut ... (called grill cabins too).

Not very difficult to build if one is even a half way builder. Come to think of it there might be plans on the net for the ones the government organization uses.

Can you do a search for Finnish Nut Cabin please? I'm a bit concerned what my computer will come back with and how the authorities will deem it legal/illegal.
:0

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Can you do a search for Finnish Nut Cabin please? I'm a bit concerned what my computer will come back with and how the authorities will deem it legal/illegal.
Nothing illegal. :) I looked the page here where I have found them previously but they are updating all the drawings and nothing is up now. I have no idea how long to wait for them to come up again. You can find commercial solutions when you look for "grillikota" and pics.

Last edited:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
One thing to consider with strawbale construction is making sure no pests can get into it or you might have basically just made the walls into a big rat home.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that its worth taking the time to do it right.
Also you always have to keep it dry so up off the ground, large roof overhang so the rain doesn't reach the walls and look after the rainwater gutters.

I’d agree with you there. There have been a few attempts around here in sunny north wales that have ended up rotting due to poor weather conditions when building. Maybe in the south of England but anywhere else they might not be worth the hassle.

Shame too as it’s such and environmentally friendly building material.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Well, one could use unfired clay bricks too. In Hungary and surroundings there are probably tens of thousands of clay buildings. Made usually from clay mixed with straw, needles, sand, etc. there is a book describing them (Miklós Mednyánsky, Vályoghazák), so far I have found it only in Hungarian. There are a few existing clay houses in Finland, in southern Estonia there are a lot more. An Esthonian booklet also exists, in Estonian only I am afraid, it is from 1930s.

Last edited:
Reactions: FerlasDave

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The ones I have seen had "pure" clay used not just any earth. Apparently in Hungary it was always first formed into bricks that were dried in the sun before construction, not just packed or pasted into walls. I lived in one clay house in Hungary for a few weeks and it had the property of keeping inside temp remarkably constant.

Reactions: FerlasDave

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
He's already been mentioned on this thread but I stumbled across this today and was worth a watch.

Kris Harbour Natural Building - 5 Years Living Off Grid Building A Sustainable Smallholding

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE