Living Off The Grid.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Im not so sure about archaeology but there certainly is a lot of good geology.

And philology, -the natives have impressive lingiustic skills.

(I dont buy that stuff about all the poisonous animals either, -as a child I was constantly warned about adders in my woods, -probably by people who never went there. I saw no adders. Is Australia dangerous? India is the place you hear about for snakebite fatalities, though I suspect if more folk wore heavy boots instead of sandals there would be less of those.)

The snakes in Australia are amongst the most dangerous in the world. However, usually, if you stay away from them & look where you are walking, you will be fine. Snakes will generally avoid humans when they can, though in spring when they are about they tend to be slow to move so more caution is needed.
Spiders are also very dangerous, such as the Red Back (related to the black widow spider), & the Funnel Web spider. The Funnel Web spider is very dangerous, & once bitten you are not likely to survive.
Keith.

Thanks for the video wingstoo. The Australian government is totally corrupt, & the majority of Australians don't have the guts or the inclination to do anything about it. It is not just the Aboriginals that are suffering, lower income white families are also a target. I could go on a lot more about what they are doing to Australia & its citizens. We need a change of government system, this two party policy is like being between a rock & a hard place. Both sides, liberal & labor (& the Greens) are totally corrupt, & it will take a revolution to remove them & change the whole system.
Keith.

the Australian aborigines are living in gods own country since maybe as long as 120000years ago-their culture is supposed to be the oldest (surviving) culture on earth..... . they certainly didn't receive too many thanks from the European settlers taking over for guarding gods own country and some of them do have problems with alcohol but​ there also many dry communities where alcohol is strictly forbidden and I very fondly remember the time I spend and miss them.....

as far as archeology goes there might be still a few new things to discover, like the rare coins of an eastafrican Islamic kingdom found on a beach during WWII which weren't identified until much later.....

Last edited:

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Tengu

Sorry but you could not be further from the truth. I stayed on a settlement in Northern Territory and their culture and history is spread by word or mouth. There are many scared places but being hunter gatherers they never put down roots as such.

Go there and I'm sure you will change your mind. Northern Territores (Arnhemland) or Uluru (Ayres rock) are probably the most well known

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Thank you for talking the time to replay to my post.
You are very right that non of us now what life has in store for us or what it will being us. There are of course many twists and turns in life

Tengu

Sorry but you could not be further from the truth. I stayed on a settlement in Northern Territory and their culture and history is spread by word or mouth. There are many scared places but being hunter gatherers they never put down roots as such.

Go there and I'm sure you will change your mind. Northern Territores (Arnhemland) or Uluru (Ayres rock) are probably the most well known

True Roger. I spent a couple of months one time in an Aboriginal camp in Arnhem Land, beautiful country, but too hot for me. I got permission to view the rock paintings whilst I was there. I spent 10 years in the Territory & most of that time. after cyclone Tracey wiped us out in Darwin, was spent living out bush.
Regards, Keith.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I didnt say the Aboriginals have no culture, -people who have such dedication to language, must have, logically.

They certainly have good art! (But you could argue that art which has to be explained is not good art...)

(But they dont seem to have the same access to education which is an injustice.)

Do they do much to promote or share their culture? Adapt it to modern media??

Forestdweller, I wouldnt be suprised by the coins, -Such folk were great seafarers and would have been first to find Australia. (Maybe, like William Dampier, they didnt see the point?)

(But we know what the Australians are like about non European cultures.)

Thanks' for sharing. It looks a lovely place. But I'm sure its been hard work at times for you are your family. You have chose a way of life that's not easy. But I bet its very enjoyable at times. Its something that I aspire to. But I don't think I will ever get there. It was very enjoyable to read and great to see the photos of your place and land. I hope you will share more or your way of life with us.
Thank you Richard, appreciated.Keith.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, LeLoup. It's quite appearent that it can be done. In a much harsher climate such as mine, it can be done also.
You have the convenience of solar power, does not work so well here in the tight mountain valleys.
I believe that those people just have to set their sights quite differently from what I do, 15 miles away in the village.
-20C and 36" overnight snowfall can and will change your plans for a little while.

I go out there 4x4 as late as I can and gift them some flour, sugar and salt + some treats.
I'll see them in the spring.

Thanks, LeLoup. It's quite appearent that it can be done. In a much harsher climate such as mine, it can be done also.
You have the convenience of solar power, does not work so well here in the tight mountain valleys.
I believe that those people just have to set their sights quite differently from what I do, 15 miles away in the village.
-20C and 36" overnight snowfall can and will change your plans for a little while.

I go out there 4x4 as late as I can and gift them some flour, sugar and salt + some treats.
I'll see them in the spring.

Thank you for taking the time to comment RV.
Keith.

Forestdweller, I wouldnt be suprised by the coins, -Such folk were great seafarers and would have been first to find Australia. (Maybe, like William Dampier, they didnt see the point?

so far it has (to my knowledge) not been determined how the coins endet up there (== by the makers or another culture) and if it was the result of a single landing or if there have been multiple visits ( like the macassans) and if on purpose or by accident (similar to the infamous Batavia, Zuytdorp, Vergulden Draak and other dutch shipwrecking). Would be interesting to know....
to be fair to William Dampier: large stretches of the west Australian coast don't look very inviting ( to European eyes)-- but he managed to leave a few names on the map of W.A.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE