Not really Bushcraft related

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Darkwoodecho

Forager
Apr 11, 2012
United Kingdom
I know, so please forgive, but I thought I would share my latest "thing"

I was asked by a friend if I would make something for his fathers 65th, he wanted to give him a knife (some family story) but the guy doesn't really need one :( so it would have to double as a letter opener/string cutter :confused: he wanted a box, but not just for the knife it would have to store stuff!! the only thing his father likes is golf!! :bluThinki so "Golf Box Knife Thing"
This is what I came up with....

Golfbox5.jpg

Golfbox8.jpg

I thought it did need to be able to store away.

Golfbox20.jpg

Golfbox15.jpg

Golfbox11.jpg

Bit mad I know, hope it's what he wanted.
Thanks for looking.
E

Darkwoodecho

Forager
Apr 11, 2012
United Kingdom
phwaw thats a really nice touch! love the dyeing of the sheath what dyes/techniques did you use there? crackin stuff

Thanks mate,
I find it difficult to get a lightish application of dye without it going a streaky, either that or i lather on so much bloomin dye everything gets darker than I want, I've been playing with dabbing on with little patches of sponge, find you can build up a nice covering and control the colour better, although I did miss a few bit and the raw leathers showing :(

Golfbox23.jpg

Golfbox21.jpg

it's standard leather dye, once I'd done the sheath I ran round the edge with black using one of those little wool jobbies, hope that answers it, give it a go ;)

E

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks mate,
I find it difficult to get a lightish application of dye without it going a streaky, either that or i lather on so much bloomin dye everything gets darker than I want, I've been playing with dabbing on with little patches of sponge, find you can build up a nice covering and control the colour better, although I did miss a few bit and the raw leathers showing :(

it's standard leather dye, once I'd done the sheath I ran round the edge with black using one of those little wool jobbies, hope that answers it, give it a go ;)

E

That is one of the nicest dye jobs I've seen in a long time... I love the colour and the raw leather showing only adds to to whole effect. goodjob

Oh yeah,... the knife and box are pretty neat as well :)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
That's some really lovely work. Can you only give him the golf knife on the condition that if he ever meets Donald Trump he has to use it on him? :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE