Norwich and Norfolk group new thread!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Snufkin said:
It's not illegal but you probably need a permit :rolleyes: .
I had a wonder about yesterday and found a good patch of bay boletes and I've been having lots of chestnut and bacon soup too :p .
Been knifemaking alot too, just finished a bushseax for myself. I'll make the sheath tonight. And I'll probably work on a couple of blades tomorrow.
I'll have to set aside some time to work on my bows as I've a couple on the go at the moment. How are yours coming on? done any more to them lately?

Hi. Been away a few days, no bushcraft though. No, I have not done any work on those knives yet :(
Glad things are moving for you Rappleby! :) I wouldn't mind a couple of hazel sticks, are they big enough to make hiking sticks? :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I wouldn't mind a couple of hazel sticks, are they big enough to make hiking sticks?

erm...does a whole tree sound good? :lmao:

seriously i can take what i want with in reason, the area is very overgrown and needs coppicing, loads of Hazel ash, sycamore, oak, etc.

;)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Well, yes! :D Ash, particularly! One of the things I want to make (eventually :D ) is a "primitive" bow, just using a small axe, and maybe an knife, That's when I manage to finish it. Can make all sorts of things with sycamore..... :rolleyes: So Yes I am interested.. If you need an hand, let me know. I don't know much about coppicing but I am willing to learn :D

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Ash and hazel? I hereby volunteer to help you mate :) Always looking for a source of bow and arrow material. Once you have your move sorted we could do a friday coppicing session if you want.

lord lurcher

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
norwich, norfolk
I'm in too if thats o.k., have done a fair bit of coppicing in my youth in sussex and at college, i'd like to make a few hurdles for fencing in my garden so let me know when and i'd love to join in, thanks :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
AAAAGGGGH!!! :aargh4:

WHY IS LIFE SO COMPLICATED!!!

well i'm still waiting to move house!, been told the house needs new electrics, so the move has been put back at least another 2-3 weeks! :bluThinki

anyway life is full of packing boxes etc, then my computer moniter starts going blank and eventually starts smelling of melting plastic! :eek:

due to all the problems with my computer over the last few years, my wife and i decided to buy a new one, so at last a working computer!
sorry i haven't been in contact anyone that's moved house will understand why!

hopefully we'll be able to meet up soon! ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi guys' i still have no idea of my moving date, possibly in a fortnight? :(

do you want to met up before christmas?

I'm busy this weekend but prehaps the weekend after?
i can take you to the special site, i told you about! ;)

cheers
Richard

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Hi Richard
Sorry to hear you house move is being a real burden, a meet up before christmas would be great, possibly a night out, dont know about the 'special place' but having found the Thetford site's not to far from me i wouldnt mind going there if that was ok with everybody else.

Martin

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Sorry if I'm a bit out of my territory (!) but I've just had a quick look through this thread and it looks fantastic. Some good meets with plenty of pics of you guys enjoying yourselves, a gem of a site that looks like it is completely away from Joe Public, and not to mention the old USAF site. Also, those gorgeous pictures of the canoe, an excellent thread by all accounts. Hope you don't mind if I pop in now and then to have a mooch and look at the pretty pictures! :D

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
spamel said:
Sorry if I'm a bit out of my territory (!) but I've just had a quick look through this thread and it looks fantastic. Some good meets with plenty of pics of you guys enjoying yourselves, a gem of a site that looks like it is completely away from Joe Public, and not to mention the old USAF site. Also, those gorgeous pictures of the canoe, an excellent thread by all accounts. Hope you don't mind if I pop in now and then to have a mooch and look at the pretty pictures! :D
Everyone's welcome mate.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'd love a meetup before Chrimbo, can't do a full weekend because of work but I'm up for a sunday or a friday anytime.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:aargh4: :banghead: :dunno:
I don't believe it, we've now been told we may be able to move house next weekend,
or at least we'll have the keys so we can paint and clean...
which is good, but it's annoying timing, we should have moved in months ago!
so i'll have to cancel the meet! :sad6:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Don't worry about it :D I hope your move goes well. Personally, the idea of moving feels me with vision of tons of stuff to move, that I would rather consign to a bonfire! :D I don't mind moving, if I can get someone to do the hard work!!! :D Maybe one day, I'll get that dutch barge ;)

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Hope you get the move sorted soon Rich. I'm still tied up at the moment with little spare time so appreciate the release from frustration that could have been brought on by knowing you guys were out on a meet !

Only able to grab the odd couple of hours to take the kids out to the woods for fire brewed 'Soup and Tea' ! Still it's better than nothing. When I get this work out the way I'm gonna........ etc etc

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Only able to grab the odd couple of hours to take the kids out to the woods for fire brewed 'Soup and Tea' ! Still it's better than nothing. When I get this work out the way I'm gonna........ etc etc
this is very familiar to me! :(

but AT LAST i have a moving date!
looks like we'll have the keys from next thurs!
so loads of packing to do! :(
Personally, the idea of moving feels me with vision of tons of stuff to move, that I would rather consign to a bonfire!
i know, i know....
....but i'll soon be closer to the countryside....

more importantly.......

i'll have a garage to store all my kit! :lmao:

i'll have a sort through my gear/pack it, i probably have some stuff that needs a new home, i'll let you guy's know if i find anything you might like!

thanks for the support guys!
it's not long now.

then back to the buiness of playing in the woods! ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
everything still going ahead....fingers crossed!

i got the bargain of the week on ebay!

a genuine OG PLCE bergen (with pockets yoke) and a set of OG PLCE webbing(usefull for cadets!)all used but good condition!

the whole lot for £36.00!!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
(hoopers in Norwich sell just the bergen(no pockets)heavily used with a broken frame for £50!
that bargain cheered me up a bit! from all the house moving stress! :D

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Hope the move goes well, im looking forward to december as im having some time off from work and am looking forward to spending some time relaxing in the winter woods and wilds, will proberly have a wander around thetford and plan for next year, when im hoping to find/buy a canoe (limited funds) and take more time off work to enjoy the surroundings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE