Award for hedging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I volenteer when I can at The Riverside Project, which is a small permaculture based holding, with various bushcraft and other craft sessions every so often.
This week, we have won a Devon Hedge Award for 2024 for healthy hedge trimming from the Devon Hedge Group. For which we are very proud.
We use traditional skills on the project where ever we can. Scything for hay, dry stone walling, and are using felled trees to make our own post and rail fencing. There is also a small wood mill to saw planks if we need them.
We are based near wimballball Lake, on exmoor, and are looking for some more reliable volunteers. At the moment we are down to two. Myself, who is very limited physically due to spinal problems.. though I do my best, and one other chap.
Volenteer day is usually a Friday.
If there is anyone close enough, who wants to volenteer their skills, or even learn new ones, we'd love to see you. Or perhaps become a member and be able to sleep in the safari tent in the woodland, totaly off grid, and cook on the fire, beside a beautiful river for a small charge.
I'm not sure how to post links to the website, but I'll try.
www.theriversideproject.org

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I wish I didn't live at the opposite end of the country, that sounds like a brilliant opportunity. Good luck with your search

Sent from underground

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Very well done @Woody girl (and team), the hedging community seems very active in Devon so it's no mean feat.

If you were closer I'd be tempted. (Ironically, I'm quite close as the crow flies, there's just this great lump of water in the intervening space).

GC

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Very well done @Woody girl (and team), the hedging community seems very active in Devon so it's no mean feat.

If you were closer I'd be tempted. (Ironically, I'm quite close as the crow flies, there's just this great lump of water in the intervening space).

GC
You could swim. :) :)
It's frustrating isn't it? 25 miles as the crow flies, but well over a hundred by road.

Considering we never got to lay the main roadside hedge we wanted to this winter, it's even more gratifying.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Yeah, certainly annoying. If they'd build the proposed Severn Barrage with a road/railway along the top it could be easy............:aarghh:.

I suppose a hovercraft might be possible......... :D:D:D always fancied having a go in one of those little ones they use in Florida swamps.... (although with the winds that blow up the Mor Havren, perhaps not).

It wasn't really a good winter for hedgelaying, I didn't get nearly as far around the boundary of the new place as I wanted because it just rained.... and rained.... and rained. Mud everywhere, constantly.

GC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE