Norwegian knife law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm not sure if this info is covered elsewhere but I could do with some information.

This summer I will be working for a few weeks in Lofoten, Norway. As my work involves recreating Viking life I will be carrying a number of edged tools and knives in my vehicle.

Normally I do not worry too much about local law because I fly and it is clear that I am in transit to work with the tools of my trade. This year the situation is slightly different because I will driving from Bergen to Lofoten over the period of a week and making a bit of a sightseeing trip of it, same for the return trip.

I daresay this will also involve a bit of wild camping where the situation allows. :D

Norwegian knife law used to be fairly relaxed if I recall but I am told it has been tightened up a lot recently. Can anybody help me with a bit of up to date information?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yes it should be a good trip but the knife issue looks difficult, I found this today on a google search:

Norway Daily No. 70/02

Date: 15 April 2002

Knife ban to come into effect by the summer (Aftenposten)

A change in the legislation to give the police greater powers to prevent knife-attacks looks set to be adopted during the spring session. The Government’s strategy for resolving the problem is clear. Police officers will be permitted to stop and search individuals without having probable cause. They have the right to do this today, under temporary provisions included in the Police Act, but the new proposals would make this right permanent as well as allowing them to carry out searches of motor vehicles.

That could mean if I am stopped or checked out while parked up, there could be problems. This may sound a bit paranoid but having long hair (again to do with my work) I do get stopped quite regularly by police in this country.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I think we have but you could try the question on British Blades forum.There are a few noggins on that site and you are sure to get an accurate up to date idea on the legal position.

You could try writing to the Norwegian Consulate in London and ask for their advice.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Carry a knife in plain view on my belt all the time in Norway... obviously not in cities, but I have never had problems with it. On the two occasions I have been stopped by the police, they have been completely fine with my carrying a knife for outdoorsman/hunting purposes. One of these at least has been since the new laws, and there have been occasions where police have seen me with my knife (or knives) and simply said good day. In the outdoorsman culture that exists there you really have nothing to worry about outside the cities - I have been into pubs where every man has a knife on his belt and a rifle by the door.
That said, in cities you would be a fool to walk around like that, in just the same way as you would be in this country. Plus the fact is that the law exists, and if you act suspiciously or use a knife when you don't need it, in the car etc, then at the end of the day you can be nicked. It will also be harder for you to justify carrying imitation weapons etc. Your best bet is to write to or visit the Norwegian Embassy in London, with a photo of what you plan to take and get a letter saying it's OK for you to have them with you. You may well also need this at the airport, as it your bag gets scanned it might alarm the authorities somewhat! Best to declare it in Customs.
I think you will also have get a permit (I'm not certain) at the airport from the Norwegian police, like you would for a firearm. This along with your letter will convince any authority going of the legality of what you have in your car, or any suspicious locals.
That's the best I can do really; give Gerd (Tvividr) a PM and ask him as he lives there and deals with your kind of thing :)
Lastly, have a great time! The nearest I have been to the Lofotens is a Dash 8 10,000' above them, but I've always wanted to. Lovely climbing to be had!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
arctic hobo said:
Lastly, have a great time! The nearest I have been to the Lofotens is a Dash 8 10,000' above them, but I've always wanted to. Lovely climbing to be had!

Thanks for the help, looks like I will need to enquire through official channels.

Lofoten is a fabulous place, the Vikings believed that the world was built from the body of the giant Ymir but you can definately see the bones sticking out there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE