Norway, survival course,pic heavy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I was digging around my photobucket, trying to find a pic of a fish we cooked on a snow shovel, and rediscoverd a lot of great pics. just thought i'd bung em up, perhapse you might find them useful.The course was in the mountains between Fagerness and Gol.if you have any questions please fire away.

These shelter were made buy cutting the tree down around shoulder height then building up the walls with branches and then snow about two foot up the side. to give you a tear drop shape inside, with a fire at the door they are very comfy.
102_0267-1.jpg

102_0269-1.jpg

102_0272-1.jpg

102_0273-1.jpg

this one was a bit more of a substantial build, the reflector and fire are off to one side as it's the only way in and out.
102_0275-1.jpg

102_0277-1.jpg

looking up the spine of the felled top, note the upper most brances are removed to lower the profile.
102_0278-1.jpg

here's the thatched back of a snow grave, with a bivibag a issue synth bag quite warm, you'll see the sleeping shelve about a two and half feet from the floor, so as to have an effective cold sink.
102_0285-1.jpg

102_0286-1.jpg

102_0288-1.jpg

Tents, personally the coldest nights out were spent in the tents.
103_0310-1.jpg

check out the admin, full packs and ski's for the first time is a fun day!! funily it's a lot easyer to do at night?
103_0311-1.jpg

getting ready for a bit of skioring.
103_0313-1.jpg

check me right hand side second back, white rim gogs looking cool as.
103_0315-1.jpg

these were two man shelter made in the same way as the large tree shelters, but a bit more tacticle, no fire out side, just primus inside.
103_0318-1.jpg

this was an instructors build, lookin good.
103_0319-1.jpg

Ahem!
103_0320-1.jpg

signalling tequniques, using a smoke grenade tied to the end of a stick at an angle to allow you to point the base directly into your prepared elevated signal fire, not only lighting it but giving it a colored thermal punch to get through a tree canopy if you had to sight it under cover(you can use the same style in the jungle)
103_0322-1.jpg

off for an over nighter with limited kit, note the BV tracks and the poop snow shoes,ok in a pinch.
103_0328-1.jpg

Stunning, can you guess what we are sleeping tonight, the circle of skis might give a clue.
103_0330-1.jpg

getting bigger!
103_0332-1.jpg

YAY QUINZI!just pile up the snow and compress it down, utill head height push stick in (20-30cm long) then hollow out the middle untill you see the sticks on the inside, nice a warm, about -2>0oc , they do compress over night and ou tend to wake up with you nose touhing the cealling.
103_0334-1.jpg

thats me second from the right of the whites.about to get very cold indeed, the water's not the coldest bit,it'sthe running to the heated tent to get changed.
VALsNOR14-1.jpg

the biggest snow man I've ever seen.
Norway111.jpg

why we were there, check out Norwegian army guy, he gave us all loads of ullfrotte kit, what a star!
DSCI0001.jpg

I've got loads of scenery pics, if you like to see, give maa a shout and i'll chuck em up.

hope you like these.

Southey.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Pic 5 and 6, the shelter is completly constructed from the ground up, it's a strong frame, in a lean to style, then trunks layed across the sloping side beams to create the rafters. then bows woven in it is dam strong, it has to be concidering the low angle of the roof, you minimise the amount of snow that lies ontop by building into the base of a tree, even cutting a space for it so it's roof is mainly coverd by the tree's brances and these then stop a lot of the snow even reaching the roof. in pic 16 you can see that the snow if building up around the sides and giving a good thermal blanket to the shelter.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Oh yes! although we didn't think the smell would stick to us like that. killed by our Sqn instructor,then butcherd by me and three others with a single razor blade such as you get in the issue survial kits, like i said it tasted great, but the smell three days later was still on the silks.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
NSCButtler12.jpg

NSCButtler13.jpg

NSCButtler2.jpg

NSCButtler7.jpg

the start of my stag do in Lillihammer, I end up in my boxers that wig and a pair of those studded gripper thing you put over your shoes, in the town square around about 0300. And if any one every pops up who has pice of that, it was very cold ok!
Norway108-1.jpg

Blade21

Jun 13, 2010
Limburg NL
Oh yes! although we didn't think the smell would stick to us like that. killed by our Sqn instructor,then butcherd by me and three others with a single razor blade such as you get in the issue survial kits, like i said it tasted great, but the smell three days later was still on the silks.

Why didn't you use a proper knife?

Weren't you allowed to bring those?

Twan

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great write up thanks for thew read.

They realy should come up with another name besides "snow grave"

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Nope, it was an exercise in using the minimum of tools, that are in the smallest of the issued survival kits, most of the work was done by hand, we pretty much used the blade for the joints.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE