Norway, survival course,pic heavy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Oh yeah, we all had mod survival knife, folding saw, sak,snow shovel and three axe's per section, but this part required the use of the little tobacco tin kit contents. it was great fun, but like i say the smell after a couple of days was foul, main clothes weren't the problem it was the whites.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great piccies Southey, an arctic survival course is one of my things to do before I die. Maybe I could roll the two into one :)

Missed these first time round

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
looked like a great trip, I'd say hitting that water was a shock to the system but then again after a few days out there you probably all needed bit of a cleanin :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
as I said I would put together a list of the bits taken and used, still more to come but so far, this is where I'm at. sorry for the delay.:headbang:

I have not used any of the sellers and have liked to show the kit taken, I cannot give recommendations as to the the sellers them selves.

Issue snow shoes, effective if not pretty.
snow shoes

birtish army plce bergan, you know it, i love it, if your not wearing webbing then look for a long back version, the short back will load your shoulders, though some will find that more comfy.
bergan

peak 1 stove similar to this, along with the preheating gel.
stove

snow shovel used, very good bit of kit indeed, i think Endy's had some a little while back , but probably gone now, if you see one, grab it and start running( having paid of course)
shovel

We were issued these, even though they were pretty much out of service, and superseded by the current wind proof,still good, and i feel, a bit warmer.
Smock

just wore standard soldier 95 issue trouser
soldier 95 trousers

Alico telemark ski boots, leather, heavy but very strong.
Alico boots

Berghaus yeti wilderness gaiters worn over the Alico boots( any body else know the pain of stretching the toe over! and the despair if it pings back while out)
gaiters

Arctic wool socks, these came as a set of two for each foot, one with the red band shown here and one with out, both pairs worn at the same time red stripe outer most.
socks

extreme cold weather thermals, very effective but smelly after a week or so even if worn in rotation, one set worn one set carried.
Thermals

extreme cold weather mittens and mvp over mitts, very warm if bulky, though treating the back of the mitten with a water repellent product worked well as they tend to get wet easily and are a bugger to dry with out a fire.
mitts

cold weather hat, warm and snug, but like the mitts once wet hard to dry without a fire.
Hat

Scott goggles same as these but black and with the gangster tints.
Goggles

one of these pack but the hard fome block had a scraper mounted for ski maintenance.
swix wax

telemark skis, or the pussers planks, good ski, very hard to find. exactly the same as these chaps are carrying.
11605.jpg

Arctic sleeping bag, superb for extreme low temps, bulky. and check for sizing if you get one.
Gonk bag

Bivvy boots, a luxury no man should be without!
boots

Bivvy bag, some have an extra insert of material in a wedge shape to make the mouth bigger, well worth looking for.
mvp bivvy bag

four man tunnel tent, poles prone to snapping, lived in the pulk.
4adv.jpg

big/spare/team and dangerous kit was carried in the pulk,a kind of sledge, here's a pic, this is not me.
image-6-for-royal-marines-arctic-training-gallery-359917804.jpg

Shall now go and compile a list of the personal kit ,if any one's interested, gonna do it any way so there:p

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
my first job in the army before i started vehicle mechanic training was studding tyres for Norway and working on a BV with a trained vm who got hacked of with me dropping spanners in the engine compartment.:)

some of the stuff we had in the late 70s was so gash a temperate uniform on soltau in minus 30 :yikes:

my hair froze after a wash and several people went town with hypothermia.i had a bottle jack split from the cold and the mk1 432s where breaking down like mad.

the officers took all the warm gear,all we had was combats and a combat liner,nylon gloves,dm boots and puttees...mad
we went allowed to use combat hoods for tactical reasons but we where allowed to feeze to death.:eek:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hey Southey, your picks have brought many a brilliant Norwegian escapade memory back! Was that one of the Exercise Hardfalls? I spent 5 winters in Norway between '94 & '98

n756626568_1316306_1317.jpg

ICE-BREAKINGDRILLS.jpg

Brilliant times!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You say that now fella, but when your still thawing out 5hrs later and its stinging like a b**** you wouldn't be laughing! :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
awesome, i miss Norway and the training i did there even if i had to jump in ice water......:)

wish i could go again, wont ever happen though......:(

good reviews on the kit too...

regards...

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE