North meet part II==New year episode

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
Bit worried about the site, if no dogs are allowed, we could be a bit knackered. I couldn't celebrate the New Year without my trusty hound. He is after all the brains of the outfit.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Only place i can suggest is the Great Towers scout site that Scout mentioned earlier. It is in the lakes though so people may not fancy going there as we've not long been there for the northern meet.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Fisherground is closed from November to March so we cant go there...........
the only site I can think that will be open over new year is Great Langdale Campsite. Twofold problems with that one 1) I dont think there is much in the way of woods near the site so we would have to walk out to get a bit of bushcrafting done and 2) theres no mobile phone signal there so no one will be able to ring thier nearest and dearests.

This is turning into a bit of a 'mare theres got to be some where.....
Mr Strop

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
Razorstrop said:
Fisherground is closed from November to March so we cant go there...........
the only site I can think that will be open over new year is Great Langdale Campsite. Twofold problems with that one 1) I dont think there is much in the way of woods near the site so we would have to walk out to get a bit of bushcrafting done and 2) theres no mobile phone signal there so no one will be able to ring thier nearest and dearests.

This is turning into a bit of a 'mare theres got to be some where.....
Mr Strop
Not to be a smart cheese here, but there was no mobile signal at fisherground... and we didn't use the woods that much there...(not to my knowledge, anywho) I'm sure if it was our last resort we could take the woods and such that we would require (like you garry and your birch stockpile :D ) and just go for the purposes of meeting up and celebrating new year together. As you said there would only be some light bushcrafting taking place, and if we were really desperate, i'm sure we could organise some way to get to the nearest woodlands to have a mooch about.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
The more I think about it, the more I realise that I'd rather the New Year meet should take place. If Hebden Bridge was ok for everyone, then stick with it, the dog thing is my problem. I can always give them a ring and do some grovelling, I'm sure they'll realise anyone crackers enough to want to see in the New Year in a tent is probably able to pick up a bit of dog s#it no problem. I'd much rather see some serious plans laid, than the event not take place due to silly little problems. Go for it Mr. S.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Right ho then I am away with work again from tomorrow until monday :( but I will do some more work and get a location, if anyone else wants to find somewhere sing out.......(silence lol).
The only real thing I want is to be able to have a fire and a wood closeby so we can at least go for a decent walk, and for me taking my hounds of hell is an essential requisite. Not alot to ask eh? However I also guess that these will be the same standards everyone is looking for?
Without being rude to anyone I spend half my life in a tent, working away from home, and just camping out at new year isnt all that appealing to me, getting out there and doing a bit of 'craft is what its all about for me.( hence the needs for a wood closeby that I dont need to drive to lol and the essential fire!)

Anyway will still keep looking
Mr Strop

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I have just spoken to the people from Great Tower Scout Camp, and they would be happy for us to use their site for this meet. The site is very near Lake Windemere In the Lake District, and is described as a woodland site. It is used mainly for scouts and other youth organisations, however after i'd explained that we weren't either, but explained what we were and what we'd want to do, he said that would be fine. The only real stipulation was that who ever was 'in-charge' had CRB clearance. There is a little info on the site here www.scoutbase.org.uk and if any one fancies a trip over there to have a recce then give me a shout and we can sort something out. I have been before but it was a few years ago now, but from memory it would be ideal.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
good on yer Morch :beerchug:

now i jus have to work out how i could get there :confused:

pardon my ignorance but wots CRB clearance? :eek:

(is it like a police/ security check?? - if so i think razorstrop n emberglow probably are cleared given there job)

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
scruff said:
pardon my ignorance but wots CRB clearance? :eek:

Yea its the Criminal Records Bureau check. You need it for all sorts these days, and as there may be people under the age of 16 at the meet they insist that someone has this clearance, even if its a parent and child situation

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
I hope they won't mind me saying but they'll both defo be cleared as they work with juvenile offenders. I also used to work for the plod so if I can make it that'll make 3 at least.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i'm in the process of becoming an assistant scout leader (i should be warranted by xmas) but i've had an enhanced disclosure done which is the same thing iirc

if that's any help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE