North East trip - Photo Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well I managed to get myself off to Northumbria and the Borders for a few days a couple of weeks ago and I've just finished sorting the pictures out so I thought I'd inflict a few of them on you.

Mesolithic_House.jpg

I started at Howick, there are two interesting structures at Howick, one is the reconstruction of a Mesolithic dwelling that was based upon an archaeological discovery and shown on the Coast program a few years back.

Howick_Sunrise.jpg

The second is a bathing house built right at the edge of the sea in a stunning location overlooking the rocks. I would love to own that house.

Dunstanburgh_Rocks.jpg

Not far up the coast stands the remains of Dunstanburgh Castle, last time I was here there was scaffolding on the main aspect but it is this side I've always preferred anyway.

On the shoreline I found the carcase of a dead seal that was mostly rotted away but I managed to salvage a good set of canine teeth as materials for some living history project or other. Time will tell.

Bamburgh_Reflection.jpg

Bamburgh, further up the coast is a castle that I still haven't got my dream shot of yet, this was a good as I'd get this day so I moved on to Lindisfarne.

The_Sunset_Way.jpg

Lindisfarne is of course cut off from the mainland twice a day and I decided to stay on the island overnight because I wanted some shots around sunset and dawn when the tide was high.

Lindisfarne_Castle_Pier_in_Mist.jpg

The pre-dawn light was cool and a mist had risen overnight which was drifting slowly around.

Lindisfarne_Castle_Sunrise02.jpg

As the sun rose the colours turned warmer and the mist thickened.

Crab_Pot_Castle_2.jpg

Around the harbour there are old herring boats that have been upturned and are used now as sheds to serve the small fleet of crab boats.

The_Snook.jpg

Stopping briefly at the Snook on the way off the island I headed up to the Borders for a new location I had not visited before.

Tent.jpg

At last able to camp properly on this trip I took in the view from St. Abb's Head.

St_Abbs_Head02.jpg

I was aiming for a dawn shot of the lighthouse, but sunrise didn't set the world on fire.

St_Abbs.jpg

So in the end, it was a picture taken from the harbour that turned out to be my favourite from this location.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Oh but for one iota of your talent mate. That and a camera other than my mobile phone camera. You have a good eye for it, and the skills to back yourself up. Been meaning to ask , how do you get the surf to look all 'swooshy' as you do in many of your pics? Is it a PS thing, or an exposure trick? I'd guess and say exposure, but then I know next to nothing about taking photos.. editing videos yes, photos.. no.. lol

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Absolutely stunning! (as ever) The misty ones with the stakes in the foreground and the castle in the background are superb. Keep up the good work!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Some Great pics there particularly like the Lindisfarne ones. When where you in the area? the location of that last pic is only about a 10min walk from my front door. Will have to try and get a few shots myself on my 3 day camp at the end of the month, about 3 miles north of St Abbs head, although i have a feeling you wont need to lose any sleep over the competition

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
All cracking shots there Wayland. 5 & 6 are my favoritre. The pyramid tarp shot looks great too.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> Been meaning to ask , how do you get the surf to look all 'swooshy' as you do in many of your pics? Is it a PS thing, or an exposure trick? I'd guess and say exposure, but then I know next to nothing about taking photos.. editing videos yes, photos.. no.. lol

As you guessed, it's an exposure thing.

I use a neutral density filter to lower the light coming through the lens enough to get an exposure of several seconds.

As the water moves through the frame in that time it creates the swirling patterns.

Some Great pics there particularly like the Lindisfarne ones. When where you in the area? the location of that last pic is only about a 10min walk from my front door. Will have to try and get a few shots myself on my 3 day camp at the end of the month, about 3 miles north of St Abbs head, although i have a feeling you wont need to lose any sleep over the competition

I was at St. Abb's over night on 19 / 20th March this year.

First time I'd visited, I'll definitely be back again I think.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
As you guessed, it's an exposure thing.

I use a neutral density filter to lower the light coming through the lens enough to get an exposure of several seconds.

As the water moves through the frame in that time it creates the swirling patterns.

Ahh, got ya. Shame my video camera doesn't have great options for taking pics, I have a ND filter somewhere, although it's a fairly light one I think. Plus @ 1.3M it's not going to be great, although it is much better than many cheap and nasty digital compacts claiming to have 7 or more. Lens quality and decent CCD chips actually count for something! Yay! KNew there was a reason I got this thing.. :D

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Fantastic Pics Wayland, I love northumbria and often book cattages with my family there.
We love to walk round the headland to the white obelisk. Lots of wildlife to be seen up there too. Its where I also indulge one of my other hobbies of painting (water colours) im not very good but I find it relaxing.

Where did you stay on Lindisfarne I have often wondered about a bivvy on the island?

Also what type of software would you recommend for editing photos im keen to have a play around with some of my old photos.

Fab pics once again.

Andy

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> Where did you stay on Lindisfarne I have often wondered about a bivvy on the island? <Snip

As I often have to in England, I just bunk down in the back of my van.

As a nature reserve, you're not supposed to camp there, you're not even supposed to park over night but I figure once you're stranded by the tide there's not much harm in parking up till the pre-dawn.

That's why the St. Abb's night was so good. As it's in Scotland I could camp properly.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I make that a week last Saturday? After a brew at the beach along from Pettico Wick i walk that path back past St Abbs head most Saturdays including that one, usualy around 12pm-3pm if i ever bump into you i will be sure to say hello.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE