North East trip - Photo Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Great Pics Wayland...makes me yearn for the homeland...

the upturned cobles at Holy Island are known locally as Peggity Huts...but why is a bit of a mystery...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Superb pics Wayland.

Dare I ask, what photo equipment you used, as I'm thinking of giving photography a go. Mainly nature, but with a few landscapes thrown in.

It's really good to see these places in such a new light, as most are relatively on my doorstep.

I use a Canon 5D and a couple of zooms 17- 40 & 70-200, a tripod and a bit of patience.

Great Pics Wayland...makes me yearn for the homeland...

the upturned cobles at Holy Island are known locally as Peggity Huts...but why is a bit of a mystery...

Thanks for that, I didn't know they had a special name. I'll have to remember that in future.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Those shots are truly outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

Would you mind revealing some of the technicals? Aperture, ISO, shutter speed etc. You don't need to reveal secrets, i'd just like to know what you're thinking when you do it. Would love to get the odd shot like that (I know a lot is about time of day/light)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Those shots are truly outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

Would you mind revealing some of the technicals? Aperture, ISO, shutter speed etc. You don't need to reveal secrets, i'd just like to know what you're thinking when you do it. Would love to get the odd shot like that (I know a lot is about time of day/light)

Sorry, only just spotted this question.

Rather than go through the specific settings for each shot I'll go through my usual routine instead.

First and foremost, almost every picture I take is from a tripod with a cable switch, no point buying fancy bits of glass for the front of your camera and then degrading the results with camera shake.

With camera stability sorted out I usually set the camera to aperture priority and set the optimum setting for sharpness as a standard. Depending on the lens that is usually f8 or f11.

Smaller apertures give more depth of field (apparent sharpness foreground to distance) but can also cause diffraction (a kind of scattering of light in the lens) which may erode that sharpness anyway. I have to have a pretty good reason to stop down beyond f16. Shutter speed is less important providing it's not windy so I leave that to the camera's meter.

Very occasionally I might open up, to throw something in the background out of focus but that's not really my style so it's rare.

Exposure wise I tend to fire off a test shot and them examine the camera's histogram. I shoot raw files for top quality so I'm looking for an exposure that stretches from the right hand edge of the histogram and doesn't clip at either end. I have my camera display set to flash to indicate highlight clipping, shadow clipping is slightly less worrisome.

A little bit of over or under exposure then optimises the exposure and allows the camera to increase or decrease the speed slightly if the light changes but still maintains the same bias.

Very occasionally I'll take one or two extra frames at different exposure times to recover lost detail if the contrast is very high.

When photographing moving water I often add a neutral density filter to increase the exposure time and create that swooshy water effect you see in a lot of my shots. I just like my water to seem fluid and not frozen in time.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Gary, if I were to go to Jessops and get a neutral density filter, what value of filtration should I be looking at (to get the swishy water effect)? Also, would you recommend a screw on filter or are the Cokin type suitable?

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Thanks mate. I'll get one tomorrow to take to Bulgaria with me. There's loads of scenery with mountain streams and such. Be good to do some experimenting. I'm taking three x 2Gb SD cards too so that should be plenty enough.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Just another quick question Gary. 64xND gives 6 stops, 8xND gives 3 stops. Now, a 64x filter cost around the fifty quid mark, while a 8x filter costs a fiver. If I screw two 8x filters together, will it give me the same as the 64x ? Sorry with the questions, but if I can save myself forty quid....

Eric

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yes it will work.

Technically more glass gives more surfaces to create flare and degrade the image but you'd have to be pretty picky to spot the difference.

However, two filters stacked together are more likely to cause vignetting in the corners of the frame if you are using wide angle lenses, so that is something to keep your eye on.

Probably the difference in price has a lot to do with quality and coating.

With cheap filters make sure you are using a lens hood and try not to work towards the light too much.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
OK, I'll keep that in mind. On the subject of two filters stacked, if I took a couple of polarising filters and stacked them, could that give me a constantly variable ND filter by rotating just one ring?

Eric

Machiavelli

May 21, 2009
Good Ole' Lancashire
Wow mate!

. . . Your photography is really great! I would love to be able to get a picture like that, but I would never know where to start -- still, hugely inspiring. Again, Wow!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The starting bit is easy.

Just get out there and point the camera at it.

It's all the technical stuff that slows you down and that is just a matter of learning.

When I'm not doing, I'm reading and I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones that can pick stuff up that way.

Machiavelli

May 21, 2009
Good Ole' Lancashire
Good advice mate.

I'm a member of some photography book club so I read a lot. However, I never get around to taking any flipping pictures, Lol.

I'm going to start taking a few and putting them up here for a critique! That should get me going.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The_Sunset_Way.jpg

Lindisfarne_Castle_Pier_in_Mist.jpg

Lindisfarne_Castle_Sunrise02.jpg

Tent.jpg

Woo Hoo......

I've just had news that these four have just been shortlisted for this years "Landscape Photographer of the Year" comp.

I doubt if they'll do as well as last year but I'll just be happy to get one or two in the book again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE