Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoboTheHobo

Sep 19, 2015
Norfolk
Hi guys,
just thought I say Hi, Im new here and from the Norfolk area. Im quite new to all this bushcraft stuff...even tho Ive been interested for a while.
Im actually booked in for my first bushcraft course with a friend in Oct....via TheCanoeMan website. By any chance are any of you guys going, or has anyone done one?? Im quite looking forward to it!
Anyway, sorry for interrupting the flow of convo lol

JoboTheHobo

Sep 19, 2015
Norfolk
Speak with monkey boy of this parish, he works for the canoe man and will brobably be one of the instructors.

Thanks, will see if I can find him. Still learning how to use the site, its a bit different than previous forums Ive used! LOL

EDIT: Found him and sent a PM. Thanks :)
EDIT 2: I didnt find him, I got the wrong Monkey Boy lol

Last edited:

Chippy Si

Feb 27, 2015
Norfolk
Hi folks, sorry I've been out of the loop for a a bit! Been mental busy at work - usual end of summer rush to get everyone's building work done! Hope everyone is well, did you get that oven fixed Dave?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi Si, Had to do a major rebuild as the roof part was disintegrating, the mark two is a lot stronger and bricked to the top now, but still some bits to do. I've been fitting out the railway carriage over the summer.

hazzard1701

Jun 24, 2015
norwich
I will find out if I am working that weekend and see if I can make it. And as for the hammock I am looking how to cheaply and slimline some insulation as you guys said.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

No worries Dave, I hope all is OK your end.

I tried the Hammock last weekend with just this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-SM011-Camping-Mat-Silver/dp/B001U1K2HY

It was very good and kept the warmth in until about 3am.
It was fecking cold by then so I added a wool blanket underneath and that was much better but not great as it just bunched up (I'm starting to think wool blankets are ground only ^^)
Overall I was cold and slept like crap. (The hammock was stupidly comfortable though)

Also my tarp was too small but it was OK as the weather was fair. I have bought the fancy new 3x3 DD multicam as I like the look of that alot. Really nice.

Next week I will try the Czech army bedroll outer only to deal with the breeze but taking the wool blanket liner just in case. Kind of like this https://youtu.be/lMXaTvJloHw?t=4m56s

I'll report back how it goes.

p.s. I think I should get a 3 season bag though as mine is a 2 season one I think.

I would have been OK if I put my thermal leggings on and another layer on top, but it felt like overkill at the time, I'd rather sleep with less on.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Ceryni, Put the bedroll on the outside of the hammock, it will trap warm air, when you laid on the blanket it didn't trap the air hence colder. Attach the four corners, stitch some para cord loops before you go out so you have some to anchor it to, if you get my drift, you find this a lot warmer and wind proof.

That's the plan! Sorta

I'm going to the woods for an afternoon later in the week to configure my tarp so I can use it in future.

Edit:
The 3x3 is amazing and my dad had 2 spare pegs and guy lines which will be needed later.

I borrowed a square sleeping bag and a mummy bag, and put the square one on a second ridgeline zipped up around the hammock like a cocoon. I actually got a bit uncomfortable in the mummy bag and ended up sleeping on it instead of in it, I was very warm. Just with the cocoon configuration the mummy bag seems not to work so well.

Experiment #3 next! Czech army bed roll cocoon, heavier with blanket, lighter without, but water resistant and a little larger, for now I'm stuck with a mummy bag.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
Getting medically discharged today overstretched both my ligaments in my knees. Sucks but can reapply in 6 months with the potential to be fast tracked

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Hi guys

im sorry but the next meet is cancelled, apologies to you all

When's the next one gonna be dude's?

Getting medically discharged today overstretched both my ligaments in my knees. Sucks but can reapply in 6 months with the potential to be fast tracked

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

What a bummer...something you wanted as well...6 months isn't too long. Cousin got discharged after doing his knee on the SAS selection

hi guys, its been a while!! been very busy with work and now having a second baby on the way. hope you are all well. just want to poke my head round the door and drop you all a message about the skill share weekend we're running soon.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135746

all the best

munki

Congrats to you all. Long time no see dude. Do I owe you anything from the Gift it on thread or did we sort it out????

Hope you guys are all doing well. I'm back on track now and feeling a lot better than I was. Gaz

Sorry you haven't been tickity boo

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE