Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
The thing with hammocks is keeping the cold from underneath so it's better to have more underneath then on top if that makes sense.

Sent from somewhere?

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Ceryni the trick with hammocks is that they evolve and and can be fine tuned by you and weather conditions, first few times take back up stuff with you and see what works, when weather starts getting cold I use an under quilt but some people are warm enough with a foam pad and sleeping bag for 3 seasons use. Take notes and see what works.

Sent from somewhere?

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
The thing with hammocks is keeping the cold from underneath so it's better to have more underneath then on top if that makes sense.

Sent from somewhere?
2nded. Most have an under quilt or a thick mat under them (if they can keep it in) It's like laying on the ground without a mat because your sleeping bag is squashed by you so has limited thermal properties. I find your back gets colder just laying in a string hammock in summer because of this

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Yes, a cheap way to make a thermal under blanket is to buy a cheap sleeping bag, square type that is, Argos is a good start and make it into an under blanket. This will not get squashed as you lay on it as its on the underside of the hammock and keep its thermal properties. Hope this of some help.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
From http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/kit/reviews/hammock-cocoon-what-is-a-hammock-cocoon.html
Hammock Cocoon - What is a Hammock Cocoon? Tuesday, 20 September 2011 16:39

Ashley-in-Hammock.jpg

A Hammock Cocoon works on the same principles as an 'underblanket' but instead goes right around your hammock.

If you're unfamiliar with hammocking or insulating yourself whilst in one, allow me to give you a brief guide to it.
When sleeping in a hammock you take away the problem of the ground sapping away your body heat, however the passing of a constant breeze on the underneath of your hammock can be just as bad and make you cold. So you still need to insulate yourself when hammocking even in the warmer months.
There are a few different ways you can insulate yourself. Quite simply by using a foam roll-mat just like you would on the ground, this provides an insulative barrier between you and the cooler air. You can also use an 'underblanket' which is a blanket that hangs around the bottom of the hammock, ideally with a small gap between the blanket itself and the hammock, this creates a cavity of still air. The cavity of trapped air beneath your hammock can slowly warm from your body heat, so now your warmth stays around your back and makes for a much more comfortable nights sleep.
My favorite way to insulate myself in a hammock is by using a cocoon, this essentially uses the same principles of a underblanket (as mentioned above) but traps air all around the hammock. It not only insulates extremely well but it has other benifits that I love too.
As far as I'm concerned the Hammock Cocoon has the following benifits:

• It insulates very well.
  • Allows me to carry less gear (no need for a sleeping bag or roll-mat!)
  • Is a lot easier to get in and out of
  • Over all more comfortable hammocking, doesn't feel as restrictive
Looking at the prices :Wow: I can see why Dave said make one
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/shelter-sleep/accessories/dd-underblanket.htm
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/snugpak-hammock-under-blanket-product,15301

hazzard1701

Jun 24, 2015
norwich
Still can't imagine I would need one with a arctic sleeping which they say you can use direct on ground with no mat if needed. Think I will have to try and see.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hello peeps, looking for a November meet up, pre Xmas special, just need to finalise the date then sort out a meal for the Saturday evening.:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

D

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Hazzard give it a go but I'm suggesting take a kip mat as well In case you notice the cold on your back which will make for a horrible night..👍 have a great overnight though enjoy.

Sent from somewhere?

hazzard1701

Jun 24, 2015
norwich
I know it is best to go to somewhere where you have permission overnight but does anyone ever just luck it in local woods? It's only one night and all anyone could do is ask you to leave right?

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I know it is best to go to somewhere where you have permission overnight but does anyone ever just luck it in local woods? It's only one night and all anyone could do is ask you to leave right?

Make sure they don't shoot their 1st. I've got a gamekeeper in the family that regularly culls in Thetford forest (He's got a BIG gun that doesn't know the difference between deer and dear)

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I'm getting the twitches:red::red::red:, sorted out a date 13 to 15th November, last one before Xmas, any suggestions what we do for dinner Saturday night?:yelrotflm:yelrotflm:yelrotflm

i will start the list off

Damascus,

I'm good to go on that hopefully, though I might be in a narrowboat by then. Me and missus have decided to take the plunge and liveaboard instead of renting.

What an adventure!

See you soon :) I'd be happy to make a killer sausage stew with lentils if that sounds good.

hazzard1701

Jun 24, 2015
norwich
Has anyone ever tried a Mylar survival blanket as an underblanket for a hammock. Only everything else will add a lot of weight or bulk

amjake

Sep 10, 2013
Suffolk
Has anyone ever tried a Mylar survival blanket as an underblanket for a hammock. Only everything else will add a lot of weight or bulk

I have and not very effective, but the noise will prevent a good nights sleep!

Do use a yoga mat which is bulky or Thermarest Trekker air mattress which is good but the 'cheap Tesco sleeping bag handmade underblanket' is my preferred.

Some find the foil/foam car windscreen sunblinds effective in the hammock.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE