Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
hi all, had the laptop off for a couple of days.

Did you seriously get an MSR whisperlite for £5? Lucky begger ;)
yup! plus tool kit/spares , and fuel bottle, bag, dirty rag and even a lighter!:bigok: new you'd be looking at around £60-70 (with the spares and whatnot).

And another thing...Thunder and lightning in a snow storm??Is that possible?
I'm not sure, but I think I've heard thunder in a snow storm before.

Snow here is around 2-3" drove home from family last night, from the Fenns, thought we'd better come back the "safer" way down the A47 rather than risk sliding into a dyke, well, most of the time you couldn't see the edge of the road, it must have been close to "white out" you could only see about 10 meters ahead.

We followed an ambulance for some time, had it's blue lights on it was doing about 20MPH, they'd given up with gritting, the gritter lorries we did see and were just plowing.
we had major problems on duel carrigeway as you could only tell the edge of the road by those rumbly strips we stayed in the slow lane as the fast one was 3" deep in snow. when we came to sliproads we had to stop as it was unclear where the road was.
we saw 2 crashes, one you could just see the back of a van in someones hedge! both must have been going too fast. we also saw a few abandoned cars and a few people in lay-by's that had obviously given up for the night.

from kingslynn to Norwich the only tarmac we saw was a yard or so strip, under a few bridges.
I'd stocked up the car before the trip, I had: my "survival kit", sleeping bags, water, food, shovel, my MSR stove;), a full set of buffalo clothing, USAF parka, walking boots, just in case i had to walk for help. I have to say it was quite a close thing several times.:eek: problem was people were too nervous going up hill, 10-15mph close to stalling in 3rd gear, (1st/2nd gear were useless). if we'd stopped on a hill we'd not have made it.
Quite exciting really!:bigok:

came back from a christmas carol service earlier and still snow on the middle of roads but obvious where it's gritted.

Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Well im in Dorset at the outlaws for xmas now..there was snow from fakenham to just past barton mills.Crawled along at 20mph all that way!Just a bit cold and whitestuff down here!
I also was prepared for the worst,had a day pack with hexi cooker and tablets,food for 48hrs,cyalumes,warm clothes,water and brewpack.turns out the onlything i really needed was anti freeze!!
Happy crimble y'all,hope santa brings you all nice stuff.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
sounds like your pretty well sorted out for an overnight stay in the snow! cheers Merry Christmas to you too launditch1!:)

By the way big thanks to Globetrotter for the grinder!

:christmas2:
Many Christmas wishes
to all of the group!

Hope to see you all in the new year!:You_Rock_

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Happy New Year guys, I'm back for the lakes and in one piece, just! had an accident on boxing day in the woods/quarry. I climbed under a fallen tree then tripped and slid on the ice towards the edge of a very deep pit. My son was very brave and took care of me.

Happy New Year guys, I'm back for the lakes and in one piece, just! had an accident on boxing day in the woods/quarry. I climbed under a fallen tree then tripped and slid on the ice towards the edge of a very deep pit. My son was very brave and took care of me.

Jesus, sounds scary, glad you are OK.
My leg is pretty much healed, so I'll be up for something in the near future.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
well the majority of the Norfolk and Norwich group, are in Norfolk.

I reckon I'm due another Hernia operation in the very near future(things aren't good):stretcher: :( and because of this I'm very aware I can't go too far. that's not to say you guys can meet up further a field.

How about we meet up locally as we almost arranged, at your woods to have a go of that 6 sided group shelter that was mentioned?:camping:

I can be free most days if given notice (I'm self employed) and i can't find any gardens at the moment they're covered in white stuff:dunno:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
How about a mini bush moot this coming May time, am out of action till at least April and will give us all time to arrange things.

I was thinking we all bring something along which the others can try out at having a go, I have several Bows which people can play on,

A site is ready any time at Hethel, Rich and Globetrotter have been there, between us we could make ourselves a mini bush craft weekend.

Your thoughts.

regards

D:welcome1:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE